Best Admissions Packets?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rman1201

Re: Best Admissions Packets?

Postby rman1201 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:29 pm

BHDLaw wrote:How has nobody mentioned Emory? It's the best of the cycle hands down.

1) I have mentioned it.
2) Because no one has received it yet (realizing this is a flame, but still going to post because of the other curious poster)

BHDLaw

Postby BHDLaw » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:25 pm

BHDLaw wrote:How has nobody mentioned Emory? It's the best of the cycle hands down.

I suppose my attempt at sarcasm is hard to understand over the internet. Oh, well. Good luck to everyone (including me) who is waiting on Emory!

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Are we rating by goodies or design?

The presentation of UVA and GWU get my thumbs up.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:49 pm

rad law wrote:Yale because it means you got into Yale.

I came here hoping this would be the first answer. I'm glad I wasn't disappointed.

jd20132013

Postby jd20132013 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:58 pm

fatduck wrote:
rman1201 wrote:The Emory Dean was trolling about how awesome their packets are supposed to be this year (why the acceptances are taking forever).

If you're reading this, Emory Dean, I kid about the trolling comment :D

i didn't want to mention it in the emory thread, but the dean's post was written in such a way that it would have been a perfect troll post. it was the perfect blend of believable and unbelievable such that, if i didn't know that account was really the dean's, i would be completely baffled.

Please link, haha

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:00 pm

jd20132013 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
rman1201 wrote:The Emory Dean was trolling about how awesome their packets are supposed to be this year (why the acceptances are taking forever).

If you're reading this, Emory Dean, I kid about the trolling comment :D

i didn't want to mention it in the emory thread, but the dean's post was written in such a way that it would have been a perfect troll post. it was the perfect blend of believable and unbelievable such that, if i didn't know that account was really the dean's, i would be completely baffled.

Please link, haha

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=133286&start=575#p4034700

for fun, check out the post about 3 above his

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:06 pm

pride09 wrote:T-shirt from Stanford

is Stanford the only one that gives a shirt? sure would love similar love from Yale...

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:41 pm

Cornell's acceptance letter was boring and normal, but I really liked the followup admit binder. It was red cloth with gold lettering, has a ton of information, and it even has one of those little ribbons to use as a bookmark. It's pretty impressive!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:55 pm

I really like GULC's for quality of information. Their book of bios on every professor was fascinating (and made me really want to learn from those people). Also, their "Work of Justice" magazine was great- very well put together, interesting, and error-free. I've been dismayed by the number of errors in other schools' admit packets.

The Northwestern binder is my favority goodie so far. I like that the branding is subtle enough to use without my feeling like a pretentious a-hole.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:30 pm

I feel like Columbia should get a nod, for sheer quantity if nothing else. Initial acceptance packet plus info binder plus a really well put together 5 pound brick of additional information plus an "Inside New York 2011" guide to the city. A tee-shirt would certainly be nice too though.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:33 am

If only Yale gave out rejection t-shirts...

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:47 am

I want a T-shirt! Or something. Man, so far only booklets, no swag. I want stupid free junk.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:49 am

I'll sell my Minnesota bumper sticker to the highest bidder

ATR

Postby ATR » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:59 am

Best one I've received thus far is Vanderbilt's.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:02 am

Best:Vandy, Duke, Michigan, UVA
Worst: Georgetown and NYU

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:25 am

Vanderbilt's was big, but it's quality seemed pretty meh.

After applying to 19 schools, I've gotten a TON of material. Personally, I like acceptance letters that are signed by hand. When I hold a letter up against the light and I see that it's a computer generated signature that's bad enough. But I've gotten a few letters that had jpeg noise.

I mean really? You want me to spend 200k at your cold school but you can't hire a college junior to spend 30 minutes in Photoshop cleaning up your cookie cutter signature?

I like personal touches like the call from Dean Ingram, a hand signed letter from USC, a personal note from Dean Z, etc.

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:07 am

haha, had no idea schools did this stuff that's pretty awesome. For the person who listed Michigan as one of the best, what's in theirs?

I believe the hype about GW's packet, their UG acceptance packet played a nonzero percent role in my choosing to go there.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:31 am

lisjjen wrote:Vanderbilt's was big, but it's quality seemed pretty meh.

After applying to 19 schools, I've gotten a TON of material. Personally, I like acceptance letters that are signed by hand. When I hold a letter up against the light and I see that it's a computer generated signature that's bad enough. But I've gotten a few letters that had jpeg noise.

I mean really? You want me to spend 200k at your cold school but you can't hire a college junior to spend 30 minutes in Photoshop cleaning up your cookie cutter signature?

I like personal touches like the call from Dean Ingram, a hand signed letter from USC, a personal note from Dean Z, etc.

Where is Dean Ingram from?

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:34 am

Zabini wrote:believe the hype about GW's packet, their UG acceptance packet played a nonzero percent role in my choosing to go there.

Their UG acceptance packet was awsome! I mean it was the scholarship letter inside is what got me to go but it was still a great packet to receive.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:37 am

YankeesFan wrote:
Zabini wrote:believe the hype about GW's packet, their UG acceptance packet played a nonzero percent role in my choosing to go there.

Their UG acceptance packet was awsome! I mean it was the scholarship letter inside is what got me to go but it was still a great packet to receive.

+1, exact same experience here haha.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:43 am

my brother got a package from tulane that was pretty cool. i'd have to say that penn, duke, vany, and 'dozo all have great ones...

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:49 am

Alabama wins hands down. T-shirt, bumper sticker, alabama law review, maps, apartment guides, 3 personally handwritten and signed letters. a huge binder with info about the school. it took three mailers the get all of the stuff to me. I was very very impressed.

ROLL TIDE!!!

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:50 am

bergg007 wrote:Alabama wins hands down. T-shirt, bumper sticker, alabama law review, maps, apartment guides, 3 personally handwritten and signed letters. a huge binder with info about the school. it took three mailers the get all of the stuff to me. I was very very impressed.

ROLL TIDE!!!

That's it. Does Alabama have a March 1st application deadline? If so then I'm applying. That T-shirt will be mine!
Last edited by Hey-O on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:51 am

Hey-O wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Vanderbilt's was big, but it's quality seemed pretty meh.

Where is Dean Ingram from?

UT Austin.

Hook 'em horns!

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:58 am

almightypush wrote:
pride09 wrote:T-shirt from Stanford

is Stanford the only one that gives a shirt? sure would love similar love from Yale...

Not that the school compares, but Alabama had some baller swag.

1.) $20 itunes included with your fee waiver.
2.) Acceptance 3-ring binder full of info about Alabama (an encyclopedia article about the state, state road map, dining guides, hunting brochure, booklets on the school, apartment guides) plus hand written note from the dean with acceptance letter. Oh, and a book mark and a window decal.
3.) Later they sent me a T-shirt
4.) Then they sent me a copy of one of their volumes of the Alabama Law Review.

When I went to visit them (they footed the bill), they gave me more "reading materials" which included a first edition, signed copy of A Lawyer's Journey by Morris Dees, Commonplace Books of Law, another copy of Alabama Law Review, Law & Psychology Review, and The Journal of the Legal Profession.

Also, I'll agree that Michigan's was nice, but am surprised no one has mentioned Cornells nicely bound Admitted Students red binder thingy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”