real estate PE -> JD/MBA -> Real Estate Law -> Distressed RE

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PEguy

Re: real estate PE -> JD/MBA -> Real Estate Law -> Distressed RE

Postby PEguy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:40 pm

What happened to the JD/MBA question on this thread? Lol

Anyways - some responses to both of yall:

1) i'm always interested in business ideas, whenever it's ready you let me know what the idea is
2) Blackstone RE is an admirable goal, but it's not going to be easy to get into as a lawyer... it's going to be a long road, at least... Check out Senior Managing Director of RE at blackstone gary summers though, he did it (NU graduate - many years as a lawyer, than many years in development, then COO of a REIT, now at blackstone).
3) Unless they've very recently started one, KKR doesn't have a real estate PE group... they stick to "vanilla PE"... Blackstone, Caryle and Starwood are some of the best in REPE... but there's other good players too.

byamargin

Re: real estate PE -> JD/MBA -> Real Estate Law -> Distressed RE

Postby byamargin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:06 am

PEguy wrote:What happened to the JD/MBA question on this thread? Lol

Anyways - some responses to both of yall:

1) i'm always interested in business ideas, whenever it's ready you let me know what the idea is
2) Blackstone RE is an admirable goal, but it's not going to be easy to get into as a lawyer... it's going to be a long road, at least... Check out Senior Managing Director of RE at blackstone gary summers though, he did it (NU graduate - many years as a lawyer, than many years in development, then COO of a REIT, now at blackstone).
3) Unless they've very recently started one, KKR doesn't have a real estate PE group... they stick to "vanilla PE"... Blackstone, Caryle and Starwood are some of the best in REPE... but there's other good players too.

OP, check your PM's (at the top of the page). I sent you a PM (back when I thought you worked in one of these firms haha), which you might find helpful. Regardless of my joke here, I could continue explaining to you over PM what studying real estate in law school means and what real estate lawyers do.

As for your last post, I don't think a law degree is a such a heavy weigh as you make it out to be. Lots of law students (at my school at least) are interested in pursuing a banking career right after law school and some of them have been pretty successful at getting such gigs. Given that most people I know in PE just have bachelors degrees (and perhaps 2 years of i-banking experience), having a bachelors degree and another degree that strongly relates to each and every aspect of PE won't be a deal breaker. Now, if you decide to transition to banking after working as a lawyer for many years, this might make things a little more difficult.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”