What is the LSAC GPA?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
daminor

What is the LSAC GPA?

Postby daminor » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:12 am

Hi- My undergrad GPA is 3.2 and my Graduate GPA is 3.9. I am wondering what my LSAC GPA would be? Will grad school GPA be considered, are the 2 GPA'a averaged? How does this typically work? Thank you!

MrPapagiorgio

Re: What is the LSAC GPA?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:19 am

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:19 am

daminor wrote:Hi- My undergrad GPA is 3.2 and my Graduate GPA is 3.9. I am wondering what my LSAC GPA would be? Will grad school GPA be considered, are the 2 GPA'a averaged? How does this typically work? Thank you!

Welcome to TLS.

Graduate GPA is not included, unfortunately.

As for your UG GPA, a few things to consider:

Have you earned any A+?
Have you withdrawn from any courses?
Have you repeated any courses?

Answering yes to any of those questions will affect your LSAC GPA in a positive or negative manner. If not, expect it to be about the same.

SoPro

Postby SoPro » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:21 am

I think he means the LSDAS GPA?

What the LSDAS does is try to provide a standardized GPA scale. It's needed because point values for letter grades vary slightly by school. For example, an A+ at school X may be counted only as a 4 whereas at another school it's a 4.33.

So the LSDAS says that an A+ is worth X points and an A is worth Y points, an A- is worth Q points and so on and so forth (unfortunately I don't know a link which shows the LSDAS GPA scale, but it's out there).

So to answer your question in a more direct way -- no, your GPA's will not be "averaged" per se. Rather, they will be treated cumulatively. This assumes you went to two or more universities or maybe a university and a community college.

As far as I know, grad school and PhD level grades don't count towards your overall GPA, at least to LSDAS.

daminor

Postby daminor » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:31 am

Thanks Everyone! I was just wondering since you are asked to submit your graduate transcripts in applications.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”