Waiting a year for in-state tuition

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Michaela

Waiting a year for in-state tuition

Postby Michaela » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:53 pm

I am strongly considering waiting to see how my cycle finishes (reject from IUB and still nothing from Indy) but not going in the fall in order to move to Indiana and establish in state tuition. My question is this- if I get in to IU Indy (50/50 according to LSP) can I defer but change my residency? Or would I have to decline and reapply super early in the fall?

I am absolutely going to retake based on everything I have read on this forum in hopes of not only in-state but maybe scholarships but I guess I don't know if I can defer if I do happen to get in this cycle to get residency. Anyone have any experience with this?

kehoema2

Re: Waiting a year for in-state tuition

Postby kehoema2 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:59 pm

I don't have experience with this, but how much have you looked into this? Every state has different residency laws and I thought Indiana's were difficult. Again, if I am correct, I want to say going to Indiana solely for educational purposes is not sufficient to establish residency.

If you have checked into this and I am completely incorrect, I'm sorry. That's just what I recall from when I looked into it.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:08 pm

kehoema2 wrote:I don't have experience with this, but how much have you looked into this? Every state has different residency laws and I thought Indiana's were difficult. Again, if I am correct, I want to say going to Indiana solely for educational purposes is not sufficient to establish residency.

If you have checked into this and I am completely incorrect, I'm sorry. That's just what I recall from when I looked into it.

I have done lots of research about this. Currently, I already am an Indiana resident as of a month ago. However, their requirement is that you live there for a consecutive 12 months where your purpose is NOT getting an education (ie- a job, parents move there). Since this couldn't apply for me for the fall, I am looking for jobs in Indy immediately and hope to work for over a year and then go from there.

What I was wondering is would I be able to defer and then get changed to in state (hoping I even get in) OR would I have to apply again (in which case I would retake).

Based off of everything on this site and my UG loans, it is a TERRIBLE plan for me to pay sticker OOS so I think this is the better choice.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Michaela wrote:
kehoema2 wrote:I don't have experience with this, but how much have you looked into this? Every state has different residency laws and I thought Indiana's were difficult. Again, if I am correct, I want to say going to Indiana solely for educational purposes is not sufficient to establish residency.

I have done lots of research about this. Currently, I already am an Indiana resident as of a month ago. However, their requirement is that you live there for a consecutive 12 months where your purpose is NOT getting an education (ie- a job, parents move there). Since this couldn't apply for me for the fall, I am looking for jobs in Indy immediately and hope to work for over a year and then go from there.

What I was wondering is would I be able to defer and then get changed to in state (hoping I even get in) OR would I have to apply again (in which case I would retake).

Based off of everything on this site and my UG loans, it is a TERRIBLE plan for me to pay sticker OOS so I think this is the better choice.

Sounds like you made your choice. The residency requirement necessitates waiting a year. As for deferring, your question is very interesting (will a defer maintain your OOS--and thus requiring you to reapply, or can you defer and then change your address?). Hope someone has an answer for that.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:17 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Michaela wrote:

Sounds like you made your choice. The residency requirement necessitates waiting a year. As for deferring, your question is very interesting (will a defer maintain your OOS--and thus requiring you to reapply, or can you defer and then change your address?). Hope someone has an answer for that.

Yep I have indeed made a decision. It sucks right now since I was planning on LS in the fall all along but this is the smart decision in the long run. The worst part is that I'll have to start paying my UG loans but I'll live.

Going to retake in June I think...time to start frequenting the LSAT prep boards...

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:19 pm

Good luck! Too bad Indiana doesn't have Connecticut's residency laws (at UConn, you get in-state for 2L and 3L year, from what I've heard).

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:23 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Good luck! Too bad Indiana doesn't have Connecticut's residency laws (at UConn, you get in-state for 2L and 3L year, from what I've heard).

I know, of course I choose the state with one of the strictest policies.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:27 pm

This is what the IU policy (both schools) is concerning moving and residency...I think I have it interpreted correctly. Pretty sure I won't be able to "prove" that the move was for other purposes. See what you all think:

Q: Will a person who moves to Indiana for reasons other than higher education jeopardize future eligibility for resident student status by enrolling in classes during the initial 12 month period of residence?

A: No. If a person can provide convincing evidence that the move to Indiana was without the predominant purpose of attending an institution of higher education, future resident student classification should not be affected by University enrollment during the 12 month residence period even if such enrollment is on a full-time basis.

The rest of that info is here (verbatim what IUB's is too, I checked):
http://registrar.iupui.edu/residenc.html

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”