difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby URMdan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:12 pm

is there a difference between getting deferred and getting waitlisted?

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:41 pm

Deferred is better.

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby URMdan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Do I have a good chance of getting accepted after getting deferred?

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:51 pm

URMdan wrote:Do I have a good chance of getting accepted after getting deferred?


I'd say it depends on the school and what your numbers are. Some schools just don't defer at all while others use it broadly.

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby URMdan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:58 pm

The school is Rutgers-Newark.

My numbers are AA/153/2.9x (upward trend/worked FT throughout UG)/good softs/non-traditional applicant

Cycle so far:

GULC-Ding
Fordham FT-Ding
GWU-Ding
Seton Hall-Ding
American-Accepted
Michigan State - Waitlisted
Few more apps pending

To be quite frank, I was surprised when I found out I wasn't accepted to RU because I'm from NJ and chose to have more emphasis placed on "non-numerical factors"

User avatar
sanjola
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby sanjola » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:24 pm

URMdan wrote:The school is Rutgers-Newark.

My numbers are AA/153/2.9x (upward trend/worked FT throughout UG)/good softs/non-traditional applicant

Cycle so far:

GULC-Ding
Fordham FT-Ding
GWU-Ding
Seton Hall-Ding
American-Accepted
Michigan State - Waitlisted
Few more apps pending

To be quite frank, I was surprised when I found out I wasn't accepted to RU because I'm from NJ and chose to have more emphasis placed on "non-numerical factors"


Why are you considering Rutgers when you got accepted to American?

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:27 pm

URMdan wrote:To be quite frank, I was surprised when I found out I wasn't accepted to RU because I'm from NJ and chose to have more emphasis placed on "non-numerical factors"


How did you "choose" which parts of your app received more weight?

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby URMdan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:43 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
URMdan wrote:To be quite frank, I was surprised when I found out I wasn't accepted to RU because I'm from NJ and chose to have more emphasis placed on "non-numerical factors"


How did you "choose" which parts of your app received more weight?



Look at their application, they give you the option of having your app looked over with more emphasis on non-numerical factors or just the straight forward way. Apparently it's only with slightly more emphasis.

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby URMdan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:46 pm

sanjola wrote:
URMdan wrote:The school is Rutgers-Newark.

My numbers are AA/153/2.9x (upward trend/worked FT throughout UG)/good softs/non-traditional applicant

Cycle so far:

GULC-Ding
Fordham FT-Ding
GWU-Ding
Seton Hall-Ding
American-Accepted
Michigan State - Waitlisted
Few more apps pending

To be quite frank, I was surprised when I found out I wasn't accepted to RU because I'm from NJ and chose to have more emphasis placed on "non-numerical factors"


Why are you considering Rutgers when you got accepted to American?



I may want to live close to my family, so going $180k+ in debt only to come back to jersey doesn't make sense to me when I can take advantage of cheap in-state tuition.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 pm

URMdan wrote:
sanjola wrote:
URMdan wrote:The school is Rutgers-Newark.

My numbers are AA/153/2.9x (upward trend/worked FT throughout UG)/good softs/non-traditional applicant

Cycle so far:

GULC-Ding
Fordham FT-Ding
GWU-Ding
Seton Hall-Ding
American-Accepted
Michigan State - Waitlisted
Few more apps pending

To be quite frank, I was surprised when I found out I wasn't accepted to RU because I'm from NJ and chose to have more emphasis placed on "non-numerical factors"


Why are you considering Rutgers when you got accepted to American?



I may want to live close to my family, so going $180k+ in debt only to come back to jersey doesn't make sense to me when I can take advantage of cheap in-state tuition.


There is an in-state tuition for Rutgers!??

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby URMdan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:56 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
URMdan wrote:
sanjola wrote:
URMdan wrote:The school is Rutgers-Newark.

My numbers are AA/153/2.9x (upward trend/worked FT throughout UG)/good softs/non-traditional applicant

Cycle so far:

GULC-Ding
Fordham FT-Ding
GWU-Ding
Seton Hall-Ding
American-Accepted
Michigan State - Waitlisted
Few more apps pending

To be quite frank, I was surprised when I found out I wasn't accepted to RU because I'm from NJ and chose to have more emphasis placed on "non-numerical factors"


Why are you considering Rutgers when you got accepted to American?



I may want to live close to my family, so going $180k+ in debt only to come back to jersey doesn't make sense to me when I can take advantage of cheap in-state tuition.


There is an in-state tuition for Rutgers!??


Um yea, and it's extremely easy to get it too. Even if you live out-of-state all you need to do is show RU proof that you have a 12 month lease signed.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:36 am

FiveSermon wrote:
There is an in-state tuition for Rutgers!??


"Rutgers, the state university of New Jersey" I know many people chose Rutgers Camden over Temple/Nova because of the cost because they live on the Jersey side.

lic06003
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: difference between getting deferred and getting WL ?

Postby lic06003 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:04 pm

I got deferred at Rutgers too.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests