URM applying to law school with a great resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
iceman86
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 pm

URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby iceman86 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:01 pm

I am an URM with an excellent resume. I have helped produce a major movie, start a tech company, write speeches for a congressman and work in the the business and legal department of a major record label editing artists contracts.

I have also been able to serve as a research assistant on NY Times Bestselling books, lecture at Universities, win numerous awards and scholarships, and raise money for a major charity in New York.

I would like to know my chances at attending Cornell, Georgetown, GW, UMD Law, and Duke law for the Fall 2011 semester. My GPA is 3.6 and my lsat score is a 169.

HopefulFish
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:05 pm

everything Cooley and below

iceman86
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby iceman86 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:11 pm

I do not know if I should laugh at your reply or disregard your comments. Cooley, are you serious?

BlueDiamond
Posts: 953
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:13 pm

I dunno... Cooley is ranked #2.. dont think OP's stats will do the trick

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby Danteshek » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:13 pm

Harvard Business School

User avatar
rocon7383
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby rocon7383 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:13 pm

Just highlight your humility and you will be fine.

User avatar
jpSartre
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:05 am

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby jpSartre » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:34 pm

youll get in everywhere you apply!

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby gothamm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:35 pm

You have a great shot at all of those schools. Just be sure to come across as a humble person.

iceman86
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby iceman86 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Do you think UPENN Law would be a stretch?

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:35 pm

We have almost identical stats, except I had a mediocre resume and applied right out of UG.

This cycle I am In @:

Michigan,
UVA,
Gtown,
Cornell,
Columbia,
Chicago

WL @
Harvard,
Stanford

Denied at Northwestern

iceman86
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby iceman86 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:37 pm

I am still in undergrad. I graduate in May. I took a year of school for a family emergeny, but I will be applying as an undergrad. I have been blessed with some amazing opportunities.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:40 pm

iceman86 wrote:I am still in undergrad. I graduate in May. I took a year of school for a family emergeny, but I will be applying as an undergrad. I have been blessed with some amazing opportunities.


You could probably write your ticket to Harvard / Yale with a good enough personal and diversity statement.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby Danteshek » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:01 pm

Is OP black or mexican?

emmbar53
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby emmbar53 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:10 pm

iceman86 wrote:I am an URM with an excellent resume. I have helped produce a major movie, start a tech company, write speeches for a congressman and work in the the business and legal department of a major record label editing artists contracts.

I have also been able to serve as a research assistant on NY Times Bestselling books, lecture at Universities, win numerous awards and scholarships, and raise money for a major charity in New York.

I would like to know my chances at attending Cornell, Georgetown, GW, UMD Law, and Duke law for the Fall 2011 semester. My GPA is 3.6 and my lsat score is a 169.


I am a double-URM with an even better resume. I starred in two major movies, started four tech companies, wrote speeches for stuttering kings, and produce Eminem's music.

I have also been able to write a few NY Times Bestselling books, found six major universities, win the Nobel Prize for both Peace and Chemistry, and start Habitat for Humanity as well as the militant wing of the Peace Corps.

-----

Seriously, how has no one called 'flame' yet?

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 pm

emmbar53 wrote:
iceman86 wrote:I am an URM with an excellent resume. I have helped produce a major movie, start a tech company, write speeches for a congressman and work in the the business and legal department of a major record label editing artists contracts.

I have also been able to serve as a research assistant on NY Times Bestselling books, lecture at Universities, win numerous awards and scholarships, and raise money for a major charity in New York.

I would like to know my chances at attending Cornell, Georgetown, GW, UMD Law, and Duke law for the Fall 2011 semester. My GPA is 3.6 and my lsat score is a 169.


I am a double-URM with an even better resume. I starred in two major movies, started four tech companies, wrote speeches for stuttering kings, and produce Eminem's music.

I have also been able to write a few NY Times Bestselling books, found six major universities, win the Nobel Prize for both Peace and Chemistry, and start Habitat for Humanity as well as the militant wing of the Peace Corps.

-----

Seriously, how has no one called 'flame' yet?

I don't want to start a war here, but why do you assume flame? Because OP has accomplishments that you wish you could put on your resume? I mean, I would take all of those accomplishments with a grain of salt, but not enough to call an outright flame.
Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby Ty Webb » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:19 pm

There's this thing called creative license. I believe the OP has used it in regard to "fluffing" his accomplishments.

This is especially true if he is still in undergrad as indicated.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby Danteshek » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:24 pm

Basically, OP has no integrity.

User avatar
artichoke
Posts: 760
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby artichoke » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:25 pm

rocon7383 wrote:Just highlight your humility and you will be fine.


lol

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:25 pm

iceman86 wrote:I am still in undergrad. I graduate in May. I took a year of school for a family emergeny, but I will be applying as an undergrad. I have been blessed with some amazing opportunities.


The points on your resume are actually very impressive. The biggest problem Adcomms will probably have with them is that they'll be reluctant to believe a person right in undergrad has had a significant affect on any of these projects. It may or may not be true, but it could be something they view with a wary eye.

I'd just be careful with the way you are framing them; with your numbers and your background, almost any school is a possibility (and becomes a FAR greater possibility if you take 1-2 years off and work with one of these projects you are describing).

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:30 pm

Little confused here. How old is OP? I can buy (with some hesitation) all those accomplishments, except the:

iceman86 wrote:lecture at Universities


If OP is a nontradtional undergrad, then I can buy this provided that the rest of the accomplishments are real. But if OP is a traditional undergrad, how is that one possible?

emmbar53
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby emmbar53 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:30 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:I don't want to start a war here, but why do you assume flame? Because OP has accomplishments that you wish you could put on your resume? I mean, I would take all of those accomplishments with a grain of salt, but not enough to call an outright flame.


Yea, no wars sounds good ... but either this person has Forrest Gump luck or we have one of the many flames we get each day on TLS.

What makes me think flame is how diverse these various accomplishments are. Now, if it is all a bunch of overstating/fluff, as another poster suggested, this would make more sense.

But, seriously, if these are real and legit, congrats to the OP.

iceman86
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby iceman86 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Actually this OP is 25 years old. I conducted several lectures on entrepreuership in the black community. I worked on a film that was featured in the Sundance film festival and the tribeca film festival. I wrote speeches for a baltimore congressman for his apperances on cnbc, morning joe, etc. In new york I worked with a charity that raised money for the arts in inner city schools.

I have been fortuante enough to have some great experiences that have given me a true understanding of the way the law works in the media industry and in the international arena.

In order to overcome the doubt that many people will have of my accomplishments, I have asked my recommenders to speak about specific examples of my work that has provided a great view of the law and my future studying the law. I have also asked them to provide their direct contact info just in case the letter is not seen as truthful.

I would not take up time from my day to make up BS just for the sake of having an audience.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby Danteshek » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:12 am

A black man with a 169 LSAT is extremely rare. You should have a shot at the very top schools.

Watch this if you haven't already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c

Also: "In the 2007-8 cycle, 12,152 African Americans took the test Source (TR-08-03). Their group Mean score was 142.5 with an SD of 8.4. Now 99.8% of those 12,152 scored within 3 SD's of the Mean. 0.2% scored outside (above/below) the 3 SD range, and only 0.1% scored greater than 3 SD's from the Mean. This means, 12 African-American scored over 167.35 in the 2007-8 LSAT testing cycle. And yes, chances are they went to Harvard and/or Yale."

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
retake
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby retake » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Danteshek wrote:Harvard Business School


TITCR. /thread

Terrible flame, btw.

User avatar
danquayle
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:12 am

Re: URM applying to law school with a great resume

Postby danquayle » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:49 pm

iceman86 wrote:I am still in undergrad. I graduate in May. I took a year of school for a family emergeny, but I will be applying as an undergrad. I have been blessed with some amazing opportunities.



Oh for real man, if you're still in undergrad there is some real Dirk Diggler fluffing going on here. Even if you're 25 and John Nash brilliant, you'd have like a rich uncle to get all those opportunities, let alone make an impact.

I'm not normally this critical, but damn, give me some specifics then maybe I'll believe your hype.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests