Criminal Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pookie

Criminal Addendum

Postby pookie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:04 pm

In July 2009, I was arrested for XXXX I plead guilty to the charge of XXXX Upon completing 35 hours of community service and attending a class on XXXX the charges were expunged from my record. This is and will remain an isolated incident.

Do you think I can be this short on an addendum if I speak about my arrest in my PS? (I know some people frown upon including that in a personal statement, but I decided that I'm going to do it)

What else can I possibly include in my addendum without repeating things that I already say in my PS?? Can I just ask them to refer to my PS? What do you think???

Bramwell

Re: Criminal Addendum

Postby Bramwell » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:59 pm

pookie wrote:In July 2009, I was arrested for XXXX I plead guilty to the charge of XXXX Upon completing 35 hours of community service and attending a class on XXXX the charges were expunged from my record. This is and will remain an isolated incident.

Do you think I can be this short on an addendum if I speak about my arrest in my PS? (I know some people frown upon including that in a personal statement, but I decided that I'm going to do it)

What else can I possibly include in my addendum without repeating things that I already say in my PS?? Can I just ask them to refer to my PS? What do you think???

Why are you writing that you were arrested in your PS? Is there a positive character trait that your looking to drive home?

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:02 pm

He probably just wants to explain it so they don't assume the worst. Just be honest. Remember the truth will come out when you go to character&fitness and if they find out you lied, you end up with a revokated degree with all the debt to go with it.

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:05 pm

You could add a sentence saying what you did. I think the format for a criminal record addendums is:

1) On ___;
2) I did ___;
3) and was charged with ___;
4) and was sentenced to ___;
5) I will never do this or similar things again.

Good luck.
Last edited by JD2014 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bramwell

Postby Bramwell » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:08 pm

2L2011 wrote:He probably just wants to explain it so they don't assume the worst. Just be honest. Remember the truth will come out when you go to character&fitness and if they find out you lied, you end up with a revokated degree with all the debt to go with it.

I agree with this comment. You definitely need to bring it up at some point. I still remember the dean on the first day of orientation saying that bring it up now, because it may cost you your tuition and bar admission later.

However, I vaguely recall some exception being made for items that are expunged from the record. You may want to check on that before bringing it up at all. Somebody with actual experience may have a more concrete answer.
Good luck!

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:13 pm

The Supreme court says that only undue hardship can get studentloans forgiven in bankruptcy, so why dosn't evenone trying to do that just do whatever it takes to get your degree revokated. If that's not an undue hardship, then nothing is.

Does anyone know of anyone who actually had their degree revokated or is just a myth that use to scare people, like a gradschool version of the boogyman?

pookie

Postby pookie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:10 pm

It's kind of a long story but it occurred during a hardship in my life, and I talk about that in my PS. I don't want to be redundant so I was just curious. Thanks for your input guys.

pookie

Postby pookie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:19 pm

I added in a second line, do you think this will be alright? Any feedback is great. Thanks again guys:

In July 2009, I was arrested for XXXXXX, and pled guilty to the charge of XXXXXXX. Upon completing thirty five hours of community service at a local church and attending a class on the detriments of XXXX, the charges were expunged and my record was sealed. I accept full responsibility for what was, and will remain, an isolated incident.

While this event continues to be a source of deep regret, it also served as a personal catalyst to gain a better perspective on my life. Please refer to my personal statement for further explanation of the circumstances surrounding this incident.

JD2014

Postby JD2014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:04 pm

I'd consider removing the second paragraph entirely. I think it's easy to overdo the last line ("I regret this and won't reoffend"), and the personal catalyst idea is sort of letting your PS spill over into your addendum. In any event, not to denigrate, but if all you got was 35 hours of community service, it couldn't have been too bad.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”