Community college and online classes: looked down upon?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HarveyBirdman

Community college and online classes: looked down upon?

Postby HarveyBirdman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:14 pm

So after blowing a lot of money on going away to a big state school for two years (3.8 GPA), I moved back home, got a retail job, and started out at the local community college. After 2 semesters, I was able to be accepted into a different state university's partnership program at the cc, so I am working towards a bachelor's from that university. For my gen ed reqs (taken from the cc, transferring to the university) I was originally against taking online classes because I didn't think I would get anything out of them. But to fit in a full load of classes and work 40 hours a week, I've found I have had to take one or two a semester online. As I expected, I honestly have not gotten anything out of them, but then who's to say I would've necessarily learned more in a traditional class since these are all b.s. requirements for my degree anyway (GPA has been 4.0 since moving home)

Anyway, do law schools look down on online classes on an undergraduate transcript? (Or community college classes, for that matter). Those of you who have taken online classes may have had similar experiences, where you don't pick up a book or put any effort into the class until a test or paper is due, which may be weeks of nothing in between. Then when you are taking a test, unless your school requires it be done at a testing center (mine does not), well, let's just say it's quite easy to bend the rules when you're on your own computer.

Re: Community college and online classes: looked down upon?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:24 pm

No they won't care. But why the hell did you spend 2 whole years at a university then come back and community college shouldn't you have already finished gen eds.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:29 pm

When you say 'online classes', do you mean from an online college or classes from a regular state university that are offered via the online format?

I take some classes online via the state university I attend (and go to campus for others). My transcript does not in any way delineate between the two...there would be no way for anyone to know which location a given class was taken at...on campus or via web.

HarveyBirdman

Postby HarveyBirdman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:37 pm

^Most gen eds were done, yes, but I switched majors so some of the gen eds also changed.

sidhesadie wrote:When you say 'online classes', do you mean from an online college or classes from a regular state university that are offered via the online format?

I take some classes online via the state university I attend (and go to campus for others). My transcript does not in any way delineate between the two...there would be no way for anyone to know which location a given class was taken at...on campus or via web.

I mean online classes as in classes offered in an online format from a regular community college, that are then applied to my degree from the regular state university.

You may be right about not being able to tell on a transcript, come to think of it. I think the difference at my school though is instead of a section number, there is the letter G which for some reason denotes distance learning, or online classes. I think. Hmm I'm going to have to check that tonight.

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:42 pm

They only care if they are regionally accredited. Many online are only nationally accredited(which is a step down)

Legally you can get your BA from a school that isn't even accredited at all, as long as it's licensed to be a school in the state you plan to attend lawschool and practice in. That being said, community colleges tend to be regionally accredited, althoughh here is an example of how that isn't always the case.....

http://www.mtu.edu/

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Many CC online classes are just a different section of the classroom course number. It won't show as online on your transcript.

And they don't really look down on CC classes as you will be taking upper level electives and major courses at your degree uni only.

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:31 pm

They may not care WHERE you got the degree, but they sure as hell still care about the non "upper classes" They view your CUMULATIVE GPA. That means if you took any class(even gym) and somehow blew it, it's still going to impact how you do getting in.

A guy who majored in "easy as pie 101" and got a 4.0 who get in before a guy who took "Hard as hell 400" and got a 3.0 in it. People in undergrad don't seem to get that, but they find out soon enough like everyone else.

r6_philly wrote:Many CC online classes are just a different section of the classroom course number. It won't show as online on your transcript.

And they don't really look down on CC classes as you will be taking upper level electives and major courses at your degree uni only.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:39 pm

2L2011 wrote:They may not care WHERE you got the degree, but they sure as hell still care about the non "upper classes" They view your CUMULATIVE GPA. That means if you took any class(even gym) and somehow blew it, it's still going to impact how you do getting in.

A guy who majored in "easy as pie 101" and got a 4.0 who get in before a guy who took "Hard as hell 400" and got a 3.0 in it. People in undergrad don't seem to get that, but they find out soon enough like everyone else.

I am not quite getting what are you trying to say, whether you agree with what I said or not.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
2L2011 wrote:They may not care WHERE you got the degree, but they sure as hell still care about the non "upper classes" They view your CUMULATIVE GPA. That means if you took any class(even gym) and somehow blew it, it's still going to impact how you do getting in.

I am not quite getting what are you trying to say whether you agree with what I said or counter it.

this sums up my reaction to every post this guy has made

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:11 pm

fatduck wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I am not quite getting what are you trying to say whether you agree with what I said or counter it.

this sums up my reaction to every post this guy has made

lol

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:57 pm

so read it again. It's not in code.

r6_philly wrote:

I am not quite getting what are you trying to say, whether you agree with what I said or not.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:35 pm

2L2011 wrote:so read it again. It's not in code.
r6_philly wrote:

You are missing some punctuation and some verbs there buddy. You seriously read it again and decided that it was passable writing?

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:00 am

shit, fine let's have this conversation. You can't understand something unless it's written for scholarly writing class eh?
Good luck reading your secretaries notes, or even the cases in your lawbooks. Big suprise here, judges write worse than me and don't care if you can't keep up. Finals(writing class not included) could be written in crayon and still be ok if you get the rule and issues. I passed all my 1L classes included writing, so I don't really care if you are too simple to keep up. :oops: :cry:

r6_philly wrote:
2L2011 wrote:so read it again. It's not in code.
r6_philly wrote:

You are missing some punctuation and some verbs there buddy. You seriously read it again and decided that it was passable writing?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:07 am

2L2011 wrote:shit, fine let's have this conversation. You can't understand something unless it's written for scholarly writing class eh?
Good luck reading your secretaries notes, or even the cases in your lawbooks. Big suprise here, judges write worse than me and don't care if you can't keep up. Finals(writing class not included) could be written in crayon and still be ok if you get the rule and issues. I passed all my 1L classes included writing, so I don't really care if you are too simple to keep up. :oops: :cry:

You got issues, you should have it checked out. All I wanted is to understand what you wrote. It was very ambiguous, and I wanted to give you due respect by not guessing and assuming.

Insults only work when people can understand you, BTW.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:12 am

I look down upon both online classes and 2L2011.

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:32 am

and I look down your mothers shirt. :shock:

Cade McNown wrote:I look down upon both online classes and 2L2011.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:33 am

2L2011 wrote:and I look down your mothers shirt. :shock:

See I am not sure what you are trying to say because that insults yourself just as much.

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:34 am

Fine. I'll be more polite about it. You were telling the OP that admissions care only about upper lever classes. That is NOT true. They care about your Cumulative GPA(which is a total of ALL classes taken). As a result it ALL matters, including lower level classes.

r6_philly wrote:
2L2011 wrote:shit, fine let's have this conversation. You can't understand something unless it's written for scholarly writing class eh?

You got issues, you should have it checked out. All I wanted is to understand what you wrote. It was very ambiguous, and I wanted to give you due respect by not guessing and assuming.

Insults only work when people can understand you, BTW.

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:35 am

welcome to lawschool kid.

r6_philly wrote:

See I am not sure what you are trying to say because that insults yourself just as much.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:37 am

2L2011 wrote:Fine. I'll be more polite about it. You were telling the OP that admissions care only about upper lever classes. That is NOT true. They care about your Cumulative GPA(which is a total of ALL classes taken). As a result it ALL matters, including lower level classes.

Thank you, although that's not what I was trying to say. I meant it is ok to take easy classes because if they want to question your academic vigor they could look at the upper level classes. But your point is valid now that you restated it - because lower level classes hurt the cumulative GPA as much as higher level classes.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:38 am

2L2011 wrote:welcome to lawschool kid.

r6_philly wrote:

You shouldn't call me a kid. And I hope you don't really look down old lady's shirts.

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:49 am

Wow. Just be aware, wedgies can happen in gradschool too there Ackley-kid. :lol:

r6_philly wrote:
2L2011 wrote:welcome to lawschool kid.

r6_philly wrote:

You shouldn't call me a kid. And I hope you don't really look down old lady's shirts.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:53 am

2L2011 wrote:Wow. Just be aware, wedgies can happen in gradschool too there Ackley-kid. :lol:

No it can. And making stupid jokes about wedgies is pathetic. Why would a grad school student think about wedgies? Adults worry about getting shot.

2L2011

Postby 2L2011 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:24 pm

"No it can"(ic)

This from the one freakin' about grammar and making sense a few posts back? LMFAO! :roll:

r6_philly wrote:
2L2011 wrote:Wow. Just be aware, wedgies can happen in gradschool too there Ackley-kid. :lol:

No it can. And making stupid jokes about wedgies is pathetic. Why would a grad school student think about wedgies? Adults worry about getting shot.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:40 pm

2L2011 wrote:"No it can"(ic)

This from the one freakin' about grammar and making sense a few posts back? LMFAO! :roll:

I thought you passed law classes because you can figure out what casebooks mean regardless of how confusing they are?

Besides, you understood what I wrote - because you deemed that there was an error. I did not understand you. So my writing served its intended purpose while yours did not.

wut?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”