Should I write an addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
blackswan

Should I write an addendum?

Postby blackswan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:58 am

I received an e-mail from an admission coordinator saying that they strongly encourage applicants with 4 points or more jump between scores to write an addendum.

It was only 6 points improvement and still fairly low. Other than I studied more, I don't have a good reason. Should I write one?

gothamm

Re: Should I write an addendum?

Postby gothamm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:59 am

what school is it and what are your numbers?

If its a 142-->148, then I will let you figure that one out.

blackswan

Postby blackswan » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:40 pm

gothamm wrote:what school is it and what are your numbers?

If its a 142-->148, then I will let you figure that one out.

Better than that, but I personally wouldn't submit it.
I am not talking about the general application to schools but rather specific to this school.

My concern is: Since I received an e-mail encouraging applicants to submit an addendum, will it negatively impact my application if I don't submit an addendum?

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:58 pm

its a personal choice. I probably wouldn't either.

Some deans say stuff like "if you have a 6+ improvement, it would behoove you to write one", yet others say they don't want to hear a "litany of excuses". You could just write that after receiving your first lsat score, you were disappointed and that made you realized that you had a burning desire to attend awesome xxx law school, so you really buckled down and had to discipline to study rigorously.

Gc12

Postby Gc12 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:54 am

If they ask for an addendum in a specific situation and you are in that situation, I would give it to them. I would imagine schools prefer for you to follow their advice. This sort of addendum doesn't need to be long or complex. I don't know what your score was, so I'm just making up a score for this sample addendum, but how about something like this:

"I have taken the LSAT twice, scoring a 152 and a 158 in June, 2010 and October, 2010 respectively. Because of responsibilities at school and work, I had little time to prepare for the June LSAT. However, between June and October I found the time to study comprehensively and I was able to become much more comfortable with the LSAT. For this reason, I feel that my 158 score from the October LSAT is more representative of my potential and ability."

Obviously, I don't know your exact situation... but you get the idea.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”