Crazy GPA Opportunity- Your Thoughts Please

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
helloperson

Re: Crazy GPA Opportunity- Your Thoughts Please

Postby helloperson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:
helloperson wrote:
I think the reason they don't care about grad school grades so much is because those grades tend to be way higher than ug grades. B is a C and a C is failing.

But they do care. In my case the grad school is way better than the state ug.

ETA: I think they care if it is a good program and you do well in it. At least 2 of my classes are curved.

Right, but I think they care about it in the same light that they care about other softs. This happens to be an excellent soft, but I don't think, for instance, a 4.0 graduate GPA from an MIT engineering program is likely to overcome, say, a 2.8 undergraduate GPA.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:36 pm

helloperson wrote:Right, but I think they care about it in the same light that they care about other softs. This happens to be an excellent soft, but I don't think, for instance, a 4.0 graduate GPA from an MIT engineering program is likely to overcome, say, a 2.8 undergraduate GPA.

Agree that it's just a soft, but it could be more helpful in the right situation. If you get a 4.0 from MIT grad school, your 3.9 UG engineering GPA may be held at a higher regard than a 3.9 Ivy LA GPA. I think it helps to validate high GPA from an unknown UG. Compensate it will not.

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
helloperson wrote:Right, but I think they care about it in the same light that they care about other softs. This happens to be an excellent soft, but I don't think, for instance, a 4.0 graduate GPA from an MIT engineering program is likely to overcome, say, a 2.8 undergraduate GPA.

Agree that it's just a soft, but it could be more helpful in the right situation. If you get a 4.0 from MIT grad school, your 3.9 UG engineering GPA may be held at a higher regard than a 3.9 Ivy LA GPA. I think it helps to validate high GPA from an unknown UG. Compensate it will not.

Agreed. Also, I am jealous of your Berkeley acceptance.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:54 pm

helloperson wrote:
Agreed. Also, I am jealous of your Berkeley acceptance.

I am so happy I got in, now I hope I can pay for it!

On that topic, I am so glad I didn't stay on my engineering track. I don't think I could have gotten the same GPA. Thanks TLS :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”