Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kpuc

Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby kpuc » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:55 pm

I used to think that I was going to law school, but had many doubts along the way. About 2 months ago, I finally decided to not go, even though I had taken the LSAT and had gotten my letters of rec. My parents and I fought, and still do occasionally, but they've started to give up.

I remember that when I was thinking of law schools to attend, UMich was one of my top choices. But my parents didn't like it, and even wanted me to attend Duke instead (which by most accounts seems to be regarded as the less prestigious school). Why? Because Duke had more name-recognition in their social circle, and because of that, it would enhance my future marriage prospects.

It was stuff like this that made me lose confidence in my parents' wisdom when it came to career advice. My dad didn't even know what a JD was. Their idea was always, "Go to law school and you'll be guaranteed a secure six-figure job, and then you'll be able to marry one of the daughters of our friends".

Am I correct in choosing not to regard them as reliable authorities anymore?

Grizz

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:58 pm

lol wut use your damn brain to see whether advice they give you makes sense or not. It's not an all or nothing thing. You don't have to follow blindly everything they say or not listen to a word of what they say.

fetalposition

Postby fetalposition » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Yes. Don't listen to them.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:00 pm

this is me holding back potentially racist comments

also you should ditch your parents and become an outlaw biker

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:06 pm

kpuc wrote:I used to think that I was going to law school, but had many doubts along the way. About 2 months ago, I finally decided to not go, even though I had taken the LSAT and had gotten my letters of rec. My parents and I fought, and still do occasionally, but they've started to give up.

I remember that when I was thinking of law schools to attend, UMich was one of my top choices. But my parents didn't like it, and even wanted me to attend Duke instead (which by most accounts seems to be regarded as the less prestigious school). Why? Because Duke had more name-recognition in their social circle, and because of that, it would enhance my future marriage prospects.

It was stuff like this that made me lose confidence in my parents' wisdom when it came to career advice. My dad didn't even know what a JD was. Their idea was always, "Go to law school and you'll be guaranteed a secure six-figure job, and then you'll be able to marry one of the daughters of our friends".

Asians are awesome.

Though those friends are right. I wouldn't let my daughter marry a Michigan grad.

mala2

Postby mala2 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:07 pm

do what you want, marry who you want. If you want to go still, go to Mich

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 pm

op if you wouldn't mind satisfying my curiosity what were your numbers and what career path have you (wisely) chosen other than law?

also marry me

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kpuc wrote:I used to think that I was going to law school, but had many doubts along the way. About 2 months ago, I finally decided to not go, even though I had taken the LSAT and had gotten my letters of rec. My parents and I fought, and still do occasionally, but they've started to give up.

Asians are awesome.

Though those friends are right. I wouldn't let my daughter marry a Michigan grad.

How do you know OP is an asian?...

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:17 pm

lovejopd wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Asians are awesome.

Racial stereotyping.

I'm probably right viewtopic.php?f=6&t=140709

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:32 pm

fatduck wrote:this is me holding back potentially racist comments

Desert Fox wrote:Asians are awesome.

i like that these posts were 5 minutes apart

lovejopd

Postby lovejopd » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lovejopd wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Asians are awesome.

Racial stereotyping.

I'm probably right viewtopic.php?f=6&t=140709

Wow well done

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:56 am

Its ok. My father judges a school's worth by looking at college football rankings.

for him, uFlorida>UCLA

does not mean that all of the advice he gives is terrible.

HBK

Postby HBK » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:04 am

You probably shouldn't be going to law school in the first place.

It sounds like you need to put some big boy pants on and start making your own decisions for once.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:25 am

HBK wrote:You probably shouldn't be going to law school in the first place.

It sounds like you need to put some big boy pants on and start making your own decisions for once.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:31 am

Wow. Johnny Storm, right here on TLS.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:07 am

It does not disqualify them from giving you advice. Also, they are comparing schools that can be considerably regarded as peer schools, and it is true that outside legal circles, Duke does seem prestigious. At least, they are not totally absurd saying things like Michigan State > Michigan

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:15 am

waah. waah. cry me a freaking river. if the hardest decision you have to make is whether or not to go to duke or michigan, you have problems. either one would be an excellent choice. also, marriage prospects? seriously?!!!? are you wanting them to arrange a marriage for you? you're an adult. you don't need mommy and daddy making ur life decisions e.g. law school choice or marriages. grow up and go with what you feel is right.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:36 am

bbermud wrote:waah. waah. cry me a freaking river. if the hardest decision you have to make is whether or not to go to duke or michigan, you have problems. either one would be an excellent choice. also, marriage prospects? seriously?!!!? are you wanting them to arrange a marriage for you? you're an adult. you don't need mommy and daddy making ur life decisions e.g. law school choice or marriages. grow up and go with what you feel is right.

Typical uninformed TLS post with a complete disregard for alternative cultural norms.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 am

gothamm wrote:
bbermud wrote:waah. waah. cry me a freaking river. if the hardest decision you have to make is whether or not to go to duke or michigan, you have problems. either one would be an excellent choice. also, marriage prospects? seriously?!!!? are you wanting them to arrange a marriage for you? you're an adult. you don't need mommy and daddy making ur life decisions e.g. law school choice or marriages. grow up and go with what you feel is right.

Typical uninformed TLS post with a complete disregard for alternative cultural norms.

:lol:

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:03 am

If friends' daughters are hot, go to Dook!

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:38 am

gothamm wrote:

OP is an adult, though. And posting this on TLS is just weird.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:06 am

I can't believe I missed the blatant Mich trolling the first time around.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 am

The people who say there is no such thing as a stupid question are themselves quite stupid. And this is a stupid question.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:21 am

OP: Have you actually been accepted to Duke & Michigan ? If not, seek your parents advice about Stanford versus Yale since you might as well dream big.

kwhiteside

Postby kwhiteside » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 am

My parents are pulling for UGA over UVA/Mich/GW because apparently my marital prospects at UGA would be better and I would stay close to home...

Parents emotion > parents logic

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”