Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kpuc
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:28 pm

Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby kpuc » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:55 pm

I used to think that I was going to law school, but had many doubts along the way. About 2 months ago, I finally decided to not go, even though I had taken the LSAT and had gotten my letters of rec. My parents and I fought, and still do occasionally, but they've started to give up.

I remember that when I was thinking of law schools to attend, UMich was one of my top choices. But my parents didn't like it, and even wanted me to attend Duke instead (which by most accounts seems to be regarded as the less prestigious school). Why? Because Duke had more name-recognition in their social circle, and because of that, it would enhance my future marriage prospects.

It was stuff like this that made me lose confidence in my parents' wisdom when it came to career advice. My dad didn't even know what a JD was. Their idea was always, "Go to law school and you'll be guaranteed a secure six-figure job, and then you'll be able to marry one of the daughters of our friends".

Am I correct in choosing not to regard them as reliable authorities anymore?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:58 pm

lol wut use your damn brain to see whether advice they give you makes sense or not. It's not an all or nothing thing. You don't have to follow blindly everything they say or not listen to a word of what they say.

fetalposition
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby fetalposition » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Yes. Don't listen to them.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:00 pm

this is me holding back potentially racist comments

also you should ditch your parents and become an outlaw biker

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:06 pm

kpuc wrote:I used to think that I was going to law school, but had many doubts along the way. About 2 months ago, I finally decided to not go, even though I had taken the LSAT and had gotten my letters of rec. My parents and I fought, and still do occasionally, but they've started to give up.

I remember that when I was thinking of law schools to attend, UMich was one of my top choices. But my parents didn't like it, and even wanted me to attend Duke instead (which by most accounts seems to be regarded as the less prestigious school). Why? Because Duke had more name-recognition in their social circle, and because of that, it would enhance my future marriage prospects.

It was stuff like this that made me lose confidence in my parents' wisdom when it came to career advice. My dad didn't even know what a JD was. Their idea was always, "Go to law school and you'll be guaranteed a secure six-figure job, and then you'll be able to marry one of the daughters of our friends".

Am I correct in choosing not to regard them as reliable authorities anymore?


Asians are awesome.

Though those friends are right. I wouldn't let my daughter marry a Michigan grad.

mala2
Posts: 225
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:39 am

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby mala2 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:07 pm

do what you want, marry who you want. If you want to go still, go to Mich

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 pm

op if you wouldn't mind satisfying my curiosity what were your numbers and what career path have you (wisely) chosen other than law?

also marry me

User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby lovejopd » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kpuc wrote:I used to think that I was going to law school, but had many doubts along the way. About 2 months ago, I finally decided to not go, even though I had taken the LSAT and had gotten my letters of rec. My parents and I fought, and still do occasionally, but they've started to give up.

I remember that when I was thinking of law schools to attend, UMich was one of my top choices. But my parents didn't like it, and even wanted me to attend Duke instead (which by most accounts seems to be regarded as the less prestigious school). Why? Because Duke had more name-recognition in their social circle, and because of that, it would enhance my future marriage prospects.

It was stuff like this that made me lose confidence in my parents' wisdom when it came to career advice. My dad didn't even know what a JD was. Their idea was always, "Go to law school and you'll be guaranteed a secure six-figure job, and then you'll be able to marry one of the daughters of our friends".

Am I correct in choosing not to regard them as reliable authorities anymore?


Asians are awesome.

Though those friends are right. I wouldn't let my daughter marry a Michigan grad.


How do you know OP is an asian?...

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:17 pm

lovejopd wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
kpuc wrote:I used to think that I was going to law school, but had many doubts along the way. About 2 months ago, I finally decided to not go, even though I had taken the LSAT and had gotten my letters of rec. My parents and I fought, and still do occasionally, but they've started to give up.

I remember that when I was thinking of law schools to attend, UMich was one of my top choices. But my parents didn't like it, and even wanted me to attend Duke instead (which by most accounts seems to be regarded as the less prestigious school). Why? Because Duke had more name-recognition in their social circle, and because of that, it would enhance my future marriage prospects.

It was stuff like this that made me lose confidence in my parents' wisdom when it came to career advice. My dad didn't even know what a JD was. Their idea was always, "Go to law school and you'll be guaranteed a secure six-figure job, and then you'll be able to marry one of the daughters of our friends".

Am I correct in choosing not to regard them as reliable authorities anymore?


Asians are awesome.

Though those friends are right. I wouldn't let my daughter marry a Michigan grad.


How do you know OP is an asian?...


Racial stereotyping.

I'm probably right viewtopic.php?f=6&t=140709

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:32 pm

fatduck wrote:this is me holding back potentially racist comments


Desert Fox wrote:Asians are awesome.


i like that these posts were 5 minutes apart

User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby lovejopd » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lovejopd wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
kpuc wrote:I used to think that I was going to law school, but had many doubts along the way. About 2 months ago, I finally decided to not go, even though I had taken the LSAT and had gotten my letters of rec. My parents and I fought, and still do occasionally, but they've started to give up.

I remember that when I was thinking of law schools to attend, UMich was one of my top choices. But my parents didn't like it, and even wanted me to attend Duke instead (which by most accounts seems to be regarded as the less prestigious school). Why? Because Duke had more name-recognition in their social circle, and because of that, it would enhance my future marriage prospects.

It was stuff like this that made me lose confidence in my parents' wisdom when it came to career advice. My dad didn't even know what a JD was. Their idea was always, "Go to law school and you'll be guaranteed a secure six-figure job, and then you'll be able to marry one of the daughters of our friends".

Am I correct in choosing not to regard them as reliable authorities anymore?


Asians are awesome.

Though those friends are right. I wouldn't let my daughter marry a Michigan grad.


How do you know OP is an asian?...


Racial stereotyping.

I'm probably right viewtopic.php?f=6&t=140709


Wow well done

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby gothamm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:56 am

Its ok. My father judges a school's worth by looking at college football rankings.


for him, uFlorida>UCLA



does not mean that all of the advice he gives is terrible.

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby HBK » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:04 am

You probably shouldn't be going to law school in the first place.

It sounds like you need to put some big boy pants on and start making your own decisions for once.

HopefulFish
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:25 am

HBK wrote:You probably shouldn't be going to law school in the first place.

It sounds like you need to put some big boy pants on and start making your own decisions for once.

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:31 am

Wow. Johnny Storm, right here on TLS.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:07 am

kpuc wrote:I used to think that I was going to law school, but had many doubts along the way. About 2 months ago, I finally decided to not go, even though I had taken the LSAT and had gotten my letters of rec. My parents and I fought, and still do occasionally, but they've started to give up.

I remember that when I was thinking of law schools to attend, UMich was one of my top choices. But my parents didn't like it, and even wanted me to attend Duke instead (which by most accounts seems to be regarded as the less prestigious school). Why? Because Duke had more name-recognition in their social circle, and because of that, it would enhance my future marriage prospects.

It was stuff like this that made me lose confidence in my parents' wisdom when it came to career advice. My dad didn't even know what a JD was. Their idea was always, "Go to law school and you'll be guaranteed a secure six-figure job, and then you'll be able to marry one of the daughters of our friends".

Am I correct in choosing not to regard them as reliable authorities anymore?



It does not disqualify them from giving you advice. Also, they are comparing schools that can be considerably regarded as peer schools, and it is true that outside legal circles, Duke does seem prestigious. At least, they are not totally absurd saying things like Michigan State > Michigan

bbermud
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 am

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby bbermud » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:15 am

waah. waah. cry me a freaking river. if the hardest decision you have to make is whether or not to go to duke or michigan, you have problems. either one would be an excellent choice. also, marriage prospects? seriously?!!!? are you wanting them to arrange a marriage for you? you're an adult. you don't need mommy and daddy making ur life decisions e.g. law school choice or marriages. grow up and go with what you feel is right.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby gothamm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:36 am

bbermud wrote:waah. waah. cry me a freaking river. if the hardest decision you have to make is whether or not to go to duke or michigan, you have problems. either one would be an excellent choice. also, marriage prospects? seriously?!!!? are you wanting them to arrange a marriage for you? you're an adult. you don't need mommy and daddy making ur life decisions e.g. law school choice or marriages. grow up and go with what you feel is right.


Typical uninformed TLS post with a complete disregard for alternative cultural norms.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby LLB2JD » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 am

gothamm wrote:
bbermud wrote:waah. waah. cry me a freaking river. if the hardest decision you have to make is whether or not to go to duke or michigan, you have problems. either one would be an excellent choice. also, marriage prospects? seriously?!!!? are you wanting them to arrange a marriage for you? you're an adult. you don't need mommy and daddy making ur life decisions e.g. law school choice or marriages. grow up and go with what you feel is right.


Typical uninformed TLS post with a complete disregard for alternative cultural norms.


:lol:

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby KMaine » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:03 am

If friends' daughters are hot, go to Dook!

bartleby
Posts: 1315
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby bartleby » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:38 am

gothamm wrote:
bbermud wrote:waah. waah. cry me a freaking river. if the hardest decision you have to make is whether or not to go to duke or michigan, you have problems. either one would be an excellent choice. also, marriage prospects? seriously?!!!? are you wanting them to arrange a marriage for you? you're an adult. you don't need mommy and daddy making ur life decisions e.g. law school choice or marriages. grow up and go with what you feel is right.


Typical uninformed TLS post with a complete disregard for alternative cultural norms.


OP is an adult, though. And posting this on TLS is just weird.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:06 am

kpuc wrote:I used to think that I was going to law school, but had many doubts along the way. About 2 months ago, I finally decided to not go, even though I had taken the LSAT and had gotten my letters of rec. My parents and I fought, and still do occasionally, but they've started to give up.

I remember that when I was thinking of law schools to attend, UMich was one of my top choices. But my parents didn't like it, and even wanted me to attend Duke instead (which by most accounts seems to be regarded as the less prestigious school). Why? Because Duke had more name-recognition in their social circle, and because of that, it would enhance my future marriage prospects.

It was stuff like this that made me lose confidence in my parents' wisdom when it came to career advice. My dad didn't even know what a JD was. Their idea was always, "Go to law school and you'll be guaranteed a secure six-figure job, and then you'll be able to marry one of the daughters of our friends".

Am I correct in choosing not to regard them as reliable authorities anymore?


I can't believe I missed the blatant Mich trolling the first time around.

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 am

The people who say there is no such thing as a stupid question are themselves quite stupid. And this is a stupid question.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:21 am

OP: Have you actually been accepted to Duke & Michigan ? If not, seek your parents advice about Stanford versus Yale since you might as well dream big.

User avatar
kwhiteside
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Re: Does this disqualify my parents from giving me career advice

Postby kwhiteside » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 am

My parents are pulling for UGA over UVA/Mich/GW because apparently my marital prospects at UGA would be better and I would stay close to home...

Parents emotion > parents logic




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: batlaw, LawSchoolHopeful810, TriSapien and 13 guests