Suffolk 2L Taking Questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Suffolk2L

Suffolk 2L Taking Questions

Postby Suffolk2L » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:57 pm

Hey All, I am a 2L at Suffolk and have a 4 hour break between classes today. This board helped me immensely when I applied to law school and want to give back. Fire away!

AboveTheLawSchool

Re: Suffolk 2L Taking Questions

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Last edited by AboveTheLawSchool on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suffolk2L

Postby Suffolk2L » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:51 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:What are your personal career goals

To have a satisfying legal career. To be honest my plan is to eventually go solo and hang a shingle. In order to get there though I'm going to have get real life experience and a skill set to make me marketable.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Does everyone's section/class rank go up after the 1Ls who transfer are out - before 2L summer interviews?

Suffolk2L

Postby Suffolk2L » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:04 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:Does everyone's section/class rank go up after the 1Ls who transfer are out - before 2L summer interviews?

Sadly, no :cry:

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Suffolk2L wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:Does everyone's section/class rank go up after the 1Ls who transfer are out - before 2L summer interviews?

Sadly, no :cry:

Thanks for your response. That question has been on my mind a lot - I thought the answer would have been yet - but was afraid it was no.

AboveTheLawSchool

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:14 pm

Last edited by AboveTheLawSchool on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suffolk2L

Postby Suffolk2L » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:27 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:Do you have any scholarship $$? Did you end up choosing Suffolk over a higher ranked LS because of $ they gave you, or was Suffolk the best school you got in to?

Yes I have scholarship $$ to Suffolk, and I ended up choosing Suffolk over a higher ranked LS because of the money they gave me (full scholly)

birD

Postby birD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Yes I have scholarship $$ to Suffolk, and I ended up choosing Suffolk over a higher ranked LS because of the money they gave me (full scholly)

How hard is it to keep the 3.0 in order to maintain the scholarship? What is your daily schedule like not durring finals and durring finals?

Thanks!

Suffolk2L

Postby Suffolk2L » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 pm

birD wrote:

How hard is it to keep the 3.0 in order to maintain the scholarship? What is your daily schedule like not durring finals and durring finals?

Thanks!

Suffolk is now on a 3.0 curve, so as long as you're in the top 50% you will keep the scholarship. Also, unlike some law schools you hear about, Suffolk DOES NOT lump the majority of the scholarship students in one section. The scholarship students were pretty evenly split amongst the 4 sections so that could up the odds of you finishing in the top 50%.

As far as my schedule goes its a lot more relaxed and spread out during 2L. During 1L classes were on a pretty uniform schedule. I honestly regret not working hard enough during 1L. While I finished in the top 10%, I'll openly admit i was a lazy SOB compared to the students who finished in the top 1-3%. Even so, my daily schedule was to do homework for maybe 2 hours a day, (even then just briefly glance over readings, and focus more on the E & E and CALI exercises) and during finals I was putting in 12-16 hour cramfest days. Hope this helps!

auds1008

Postby auds1008 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:17 pm

Hi, did you look at law preview or any of the law school preparation classes before going into law school? What is your take on services like those? Also, do you think borrowing barbri books from former law school students would be beneficial to doing successfully in law school?

Thank you.

Suffolk2L

Postby Suffolk2L » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:00 pm

auds1008 wrote:Hi, did you look at law preview or any of the law school preparation classes before going into law school? What is your take on services like those? Also, do you think borrowing barbri books from former law school students would be beneficial to doing successfully in law school?

Thank you.

I did not take any law school preparation classes before going into law school. The only real prep I did was reading Getting to Maybe[i][i][/i][/i] and relaxing the summer before. I personally do not think that a law preview class would be that helpful because the first few weeks of 1L is really slow and the professors understand that this is your first time in a law school setting. Additionally, if you do feel that a law preview class would be helpful for you, Suffolk does offer a law preview class of sorts lasting about 2 weeks during the summer time. I did not participate in it so I don't really have many details but a few of my friends participated and said it was helpful to a degree.

As far as borrowing Barbri books, I would probably advise against it right now if you are planning to get ahead on 1L studying or want to see what the bar exam could be like. My reason for this is that each professor teaches their courses differently and no two professors stress all the exact same points. While Barbri books would be helpful for the bar exam or to give you a general overview of an area like torts or crim. law, it could hinder you at this point to fill up your mind with extraneous information that you may never use during 1L. The goal in 1L is to get the best grades you can by knowing precisely what the professors want you to know and not necessarily becoming an expert on every facet of the law. During my 1L year the second a professor said "This is not going to be on the exam" my brain shut down and I didnt bother taking notes on whatever the hell they were saying. A lot of my classmates still took down notes and studied those materials religiously and I think in the end it may have hurt them somewhat. Again though, this is just one person's humble opinion, but I really do believe that you do not need to do anything fancy in particular to prepare for law school ahead of time.

birD

Postby birD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks so much for the help so far!

Additionally, if you do feel that a law preview class would be helpful for you, Suffolk does offer a law preview class of sorts lasting about 2 weeks during the summer time.

do you know what it's called? Do all incoming 1Ls get notified of this?

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:42 pm

birD wrote:Thanks so much for the help so far!

Additionally, if you do feel that a law preview class would be helpful for you, Suffolk does offer a law preview class of sorts lasting about 2 weeks during the summer time.

This is just a guess, but Suffolk may have hosted "Law Preview" during a recent summer:

--LinkRemoved--

Suffolk2L

Postby Suffolk2L » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:46 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

This is just a guess, but Suffolk may have hosted "Law Preview" during a recent summer:

--LinkRemoved--

Nah, the one offered at Suffolk is through Suffolk's Academic Support Program. My memory is a little hazy at this point, but I remember the school sending out the email for the class during June after the second deposit was due. Suffolk doesn't charge anything for this and it lasts for about 2 weeks. If you guys are interested in it, I would suggest calling the school for more information. Hope this helps!

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Suffolk2L wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Nah, the one offered at Suffolk is through Suffolk's Academic Support Program. My memory is a little hazy at this point, but I remember the school sending out the email for the class during June after the second deposit was due. Suffolk doesn't charge anything for this and it lasts for about 2 weeks. If you guys are interested in it, I would suggest calling the school for more information. Hope this helps!

Oh, nice! Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”