Disclosing Past Legal Incidents...How much explanation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RelativeEase

New

Disclosing Past Legal Incidents...How much explanation

Post by RelativeEase » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:37 pm

I have a significant past arrest/citation record

as a minor arrested for marijuana possession
Minor in possession of alcohol
DUI - dismissed in court
a couple of disturbing the peace arrests/citations
careless operation of vehicle
missing a court date and having to spend 24 hours in jail

I was planning on listing the events with dates and outcomes(pre trial diversion, citation paid, plead no contest), but I do not plan on giving much of an explanation, if any, of the actual circumstances. All the instances occurred over 5 years ago and since then i have been married, had kids, and have a full time job with an accounting firm. After listing the items I was going to write a paragraph noting I was young, often drunk accept full responsibility and am now older more mature, etc.

Do you think its a horrible idea not to explain actual circumstances? I, obviously, dont want to draw a lot of attention to this addendum and hence thought a list and a general explanation of being younger, etc, would suffice.

What say you?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Disclosing Past Legal Incidents...How much explanation

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:41 pm

Explanations are typically required by law schools. The good news, however, is that all adcomms will understand your desire to practice law---to save money on your own defense costs !

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:41 pm

Anything you can do to proscribe what a person's imagination will fill in when reading that list is probably a good idea.

lovejopd

Silver

Post by lovejopd » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:43 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Explanations are typically required by law schools. The good news, however, is that all adcomms will understand your desire to practice law---to save money on your own defense costs !
:lol:

RelativeEase

New

Post by RelativeEase » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:47 pm

MrKappus wrote:Anything you can do to proscribe what a person's imagination will fill in when reading that list is probably a good idea.
I hear ya. I just feel like any explanation will sound like an excuse. For example the marijuana possession. I was riding in a car with 4 other people. The driver had a bag under the passenger seat. The driver wouldnt say its his so everyone got brought in and charged. I feel like if i explain it that way they readers will roll their eyes and think "yeah right".

Same thing with some of the disturbing the peace charges. I was with a group of people one time there was a fight the other it was just a lot of yelling/arguing. In both instances several people were cited when really there were only a couple people truly at fault.

Any tips on how to explain this without sounding like I am passing the buck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:50 pm

I would include in the explanation that you're "not passing the buck." For example, "Although my accounts of these incidents include the culpable actions of other people, I want to emphasize that at the end of the day, I was at fault for putting myself in these situations in the first place."

But more eloquent, which shouldn't be hard.

ogurty

Bronze

Post by ogurty » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:01 pm

RelativeEase wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Anything you can do to proscribe what a person's imagination will fill in when reading that list is probably a good idea.
I hear ya. I just feel like any explanation will sound like an excuse. For example the marijuana possession. I was riding in a car with 4 other people. The driver had a bag under the passenger seat. The driver wouldnt say its his so everyone got brought in and charged. I feel like if i explain it that way they readers will roll their eyes and think "yeah right".

Same thing with some of the disturbing the peace charges. I was with a group of people one time there was a fight the other it was just a lot of yelling/arguing. In both instances several people were cited when really there were only a couple people truly at fault.

I wouldn't send in anything that sounds remotely like this post. You don't that many drug/alcohol citations and other misdemeanors without doing something wrong. And anything that sounds, even a little bit, like you're explaining how it wasn't really your fault, will probably rub an adcomm the wrong way.

Your idea in the OP is much better. Try to highlight any rehabilitation/counselling you may have done. And make it clear that everything was several years ago. I'd stay far away from providing details as to individual incidents unless there's very compelling information - and "it wasn't my weed" is not compelling.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:58 pm

ogurty wrote:
RelativeEase wrote:

I wouldn't send in anything that sounds remotely like this post. You don't that many drug/alcohol citations and other misdemeanors without doing something wrong. And anything that sounds, even a little bit, like you're explaining how it wasn't really your fault, will probably rub an adcomm the wrong way.

Your idea in the OP is much better. Try to highlight any rehabilitation/counselling you may have done. And make it clear that everything was several years ago. I'd stay far away from providing details as to individual incidents unless there's very compelling information - and "it wasn't my weed" is not compelling.

This.

Show that you've changed by 1. having no present or pending charges and a long amount of time since those. 2. prove you've taken steps to correct your problems, rehabilitation, counseling, AA, some sort of support group / public speaking / community outreach etc. 3. take ownership for the violations of the law and misconduct and put it squarely on yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”