M.D. Will this soft help, hurt, not really matter

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FiveSermon

Re: M.D. Will this soft help, hurt, not really matter

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:48 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
mdpello wrote:-YES old: 46 this year. No more debt for me, just got out of it. I'll pay as I go..but under <90k

Sorry to sound like an ass. I had him answer questions including that one about debt.

He doesn't want any debt and can pay as he goes under ~90k
So our suggestions should include ideas like PT, instate, or a way to get $$s

FiveSermon wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:You just got out of med school debt and want to start accumulating law school debt?! I hope you have some real passion for law, otherwise it's not worth it (financially at least with that LSAT score).

RC fail. good job buddy.

mdpello wrote:
Like to go full time but open for options.

I have to head out, but when I get back home I'll give you my opinion without being rushed. Hopefully another TLSer will pick up this thread considering it isn't 3am on a Saturday night anymore... lol

Where is the RC fail? Maybe you could point it out instead of acting like a smartass.

I don't see where you got "I'll pay as I go" to "I'll have zero debt when I graduate". He could pay as he go but still accumulate a significant amount of debt.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:31 pm

really? "No more debt for me, just got out of it"

Kswizzie

Postby Kswizzie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:37 pm

I know an MD who got into U of Chicago with an LSAT in the low 160s. That was in the mid 90s though so I don't know if admissions were as numbers focused back then

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:38 pm

it might hurt if the dean is a scientologist

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:41 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:really? "No more debt for me, just got out of it"

And? That's why I said why would you want to accumulate more debt right after you finished off paying for med school debt? Maybe you should read more carefully next time buddy.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:44 pm

FiveSermon wrote:

And? That's why I said why would you want to accumulate more debt right after you finished off paying for med school debt? Maybe you should read more carefully next time buddy.

His plan is to not accumulate more debt.

Done with this thread. Ill PM the OP if I think of anything new.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:56 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

His plan is to not accumulate more debt.

Done with this thread. Ill PM the OP if I think of anything new.

Hurr Durr. Thanks for repeating the obvious. With a horrible LSAT score his plan not to accumulate more debt is shot to hell unless he wants to go to a TTT on a scholarship. Think paying off 60k/year while going to law school is easy? He said he just got out of debt, not that he just saved up 200k in his bank account.

androstan

Postby androstan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:24 pm

Honestly, OP, while we can all tell you to raise your LSAT a bit, get a scholarship somewhere, go in-state, go PT, etc. what most of us are probably thinking is, "Don't go." Seriously. You have a stable job that allows you to live comfortably and you have freed yourself from debt. Now is supposed to be "payday". Now all those years of hard schoolwork and slaving away just to pay for that school, all that's supposed to be coming back around to you now.

Even if you hate your job, you don't have to be there all the time. Lots of people hate their jobs but they slog through it and then take those $$$ and do whatever the hell they want with their free time. A job in law is not going to be rewarding in some deep sense, and if you're lucky it'll pay you what you make now.

You don't need to push yourself through 3 or 4 more years of academic hoop-jumping, lost income, possibly tens of thousands in tuition, only to land in approximately the same place. There's even a good chance you'll end up worse off, you may hate the day to day of being a lawyer.

Even if you were nailing the LSAT and got into Harvard, I would tread with caution. That may be worth it but still, putting myself in the mind of me 20 years from now, I would want to be reaping the fruits of my youthful labor. Nice house in the 'burbs, sending kids to college, going on a Cruise, touring Europe, writing a book, tinkering in my garage. I'm reluctant to go back to school *now*, but the calculus has fallen in favor of investing a bit more in my future. With 20 years less future, that calculus is profoundly different. I don't think I'd even go to Harvard 20 years from now.

Now, I don't know you personally, so I'm not actually going to just say, "Don't go." You're not me. Maybe this is the right call for you. All I'm trying to get you to do is think and dig deep inside to make sure you're making the right decision. Best of luck to you.
Last edited by androstan on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:04 pm

androstan wrote:Honestly, OP, while we can all tell you to raise your LSAT a bit, get a scholarship somewhere, go in-state, go PT, etc. what most of us are probably thinking is, "Don't go." Seriously. You have a stable job that allows you to live comfortably and you have freed yourself from debt. Now is supposed to be "payday". Now all those years of hard schoolwork and slaving away just to pay for that school, all that's supposed to be coming back around to you now.

Even if you hate your job, you don't have to be there all the time. Lots of people hate their jobs but they slog through it and then take those $$$ and do whatever the hell they want with their free time. A job in law is not going to be rewarding in some deep sense, and if you're lucky it'll pay you what you make now.

You don't need to push yourself through 3 or 4 more years of academic hoop-jumping, lost income, possibly tens of thousands in tuition, only to land in approximately the same place. There's even a good chance you'll end up worse off, you may hate the day to day of being a lawyer.

Even if you were nailing the LSAT and got into Harvard, I would tread with caution. That may be worth it but still, putting myself in the mind of me 20 years from now, I would want to be reaping the fruits of my youthful labor. Nice house in the 'burbs, sending kids to college, going on a Cruise, touring Europe, writing a book, tinkering in my garage. I'm relectant to go back to school *now*, but the calculus has fallen in favor of investing a bit more in my future. With 20 years less future, that calculus is profoundly different. I don't think I'd even go to Harvard 20 years from now.

Now, I don't know you personally, so I'm not actually going to just say, "Don't go." You're not me. Maybe this is the right call for you. All I'm trying to get you to do is think and dig deep inside to make sure you're making the right decision. Best of luck to you.

+1 except the chances are the original poster will not make anything close to their current amount.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:24 pm

androstan wrote:Honestly, OP, while we can all tell you to raise your LSAT a bit, get a scholarship somewhere, go in-state, go PT, etc. what most of us are probably thinking is, "Don't go." Seriously. You have a stable job that allows you to live comfortably and you have freed yourself from debt. Now is supposed to be "payday". Now all those years of hard schoolwork and slaving away just to pay for that school, all that's supposed to be coming back around to you now.

Even if you were nailing the LSAT and got into Harvard, I would tread with caution. That may be worth it but still, putting myself in the mind of me 20 years from now, I would want to be reaping the fruits of my youthful labor. Nice house in the 'burbs, sending kids to college, going on a Cruise, touring Europe, writing a book, tinkering in my garage. I'm reluctant to go back to school *now*, but the calculus has fallen in favor of investing a bit more in my future. With 20 years less future, that calculus is profoundly different. I don't think I'd even go to Harvard 20 years from now.

Well said. I hope whatever you decide will mean you'll still be happy with your decision in 3-5 years, and only you can make that decision. But wow, I wish I was smart enough to pursue an M.D. in the first place!

mdpello

Postby mdpello » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Thanks guys for all the responses.....hopefully the LSAT comes out decent and I can have more options to pursue from there.......Aloha...Mark

mdpello

Postby mdpello » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:35 pm

fatduck wrote:it might hurt if the dean is a scientologist

:lol: ...good one btw....Mark

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:44 pm

Won't help much with admissions. Will help with actually getting a job.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”