Could not taking a fee waiver help with scholarship offers?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bjoscott

Could not taking a fee waiver help with scholarship offers?

Postby bjoscott » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:23 pm

This is my question. If one applies to a safety law school and does not ask for or receive a fee waiver, could the admissions office consider that when determining scholarship offers? I ask this because I applied to New England Law as a safe school since I am only able to go part time and my options are limited. I did not ask for a fee waiver and paid the application fee. My numbers are not great but certainly above the 75th percentile for NE. I received an offer of a full scholarship. I knew that my numbers would guarantee me a substantial offer from there but I did not think that I would be offered a full scholarship. Could the fact that I paid the app. fee make it seem that I am more serious about attending NE than I really am?

Knock

Re: Could not taking a fee waiver help with scholarship offers?

Postby Knock » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:29 pm

bjoscott wrote:This is my question. If one applies to a safety law school and does not ask for or receive a fee waiver, could the admissions office consider that when determining scholarship offers? I ask this because I applied to New England Law as a safe school since I am only able to go part time and my options are limited. I did not ask for a fee waiver and paid the application fee. My numbers are not great but certainly above the 75th percentile for NE. I received an offer of a full scholarship. I knew that my numbers would guarantee me a substantial offer from there but I did not think that I would be offered a full scholarship. Could the fact that I paid the app. fee make it seem that I am more serious about attending NE than I really am?

No, I think you're reading to much into it. And why does it matter, you got the full-scholarship!

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:36 pm

It does make you wonder, though. If i saw someone who paid full price, I would be slightly more inclined to think that this person would consider a matriculation there.

pu_golf88

Postby pu_golf88 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:54 pm

I don't think it would matter. It's not like if a school you wanted to go to sent you a fee waiver you'd email them back saying "I'll pass, I actually want to go to your school so I'll pay the app fee." Also, if you ask for a fee waiver, that would express your interest in going there. I do see your point, but I can't think of a way it would help you compared to other applicants.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”