URGENT - drop entire semester or drop 2 classes?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
doolittle

URGENT - drop entire semester or drop 2 classes?

Postby doolittle » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:20 am

I'm an undergrad, going through some family problems at the moment, so I'll be unable to attend two of the three classes I'm currently taking. Should I withdraw from the entire semester or drop the two classes(and get 2 W's on my transcript)? The one class I am able to attend I have a high A in. I am a junior with a 3.95 GPA. I've never withdrawn from class before. W's at my school are non punitive. I'm not on financial aid and am well on track to graduate, so fewer units are not a huge concern. Thank you so much for your help.

dddhhh

Re: URGENT - drop entire semester or drop 2 classes?

Postby dddhhh » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:25 am

If your situation permits, I would drop the two instead of completely withdrawing. Especially since you have a high A in your other class.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:42 am

Even though the withdrawls may not be punitive at your school, make sure that LSAC will treat them the same way. I don't know anything about this (somebody else will), but I am just a little suspicious. If it will be a problem with LSAC, there may be a way to do well in the class without attending . . . doing the reading and getting notes. Really depend on the class, but it seems like you may be smart enough to pull it off. Sorry about your situation, and good luck.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:47 am

KMaine wrote:Even though the withdrawls may not be punitive at your school, make sure that LSAC will treat them the same way. I don't know anything about this (somebody else will), but I am just a little suspicious. If it will be a problem with LSAC, there may be a way to do well in the class without attending . . . doing the reading and getting notes. Really depend on the class, but it seems like you may be smart enough to pull it off. Sorry about your situation, and good luck.

I agree. I think this looks weird - not saying you don't have a good explanation for it, cuz you might, but if what you said here is what you're going to say on an application, it's gonna look weird to adcomms. that being said, if you DO have a good reason, i'd drop the 2 classes.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:56 am

KMaine wrote:Even though the withdrawls may not be punitive at your school, make sure that LSAC will treat them the same way. I don't know anything about this (somebody else will), but I am just a little suspicious. If it will be a problem with LSAC, there may be a way to do well in the class without attending . . . doing the reading and getting notes. Really depend on the class, but it seems like you may be smart enough to pull it off. Sorry about your situation, and good luck.

If the school does not consider the W's punitive, neither will the LSAC.

OP: decide which one would be easier to write an addendum about, then do that.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:56 am

I dropped plenty of classes, it didn't hurt me a bit. If they're non-punitive, they're non-punitive, and you should drop the two, keep the one you're doing well in.

doolittle

Postby doolittle » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks for all your input so far everyone.
Last edited by doolittle on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:09 am

soooo you're dropping the classes because of family problems or because you don't like the fact that they're lecture based?

doolittle

Postby doolittle » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:11 am

I'm thinking about dropping the classes because I won't be able to attend the lectures due to family problems.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:11 am

ohhhhh. sorry i'm drunk

math101

Postby math101 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:12 am

I had to drop an entire semester of classes my sophomore year. I got all Ws, which were non-punitive, so they did not affect my LSAC GPA. I petitioned my undergrad university for a refund of my semester's tuition, which I received. I found it much easier to write an addendum to the law schools to which I applied than I think I would have if I hadn't dropped all of the classes (I had As in at least two of the classes, from what I recall). I can't speak to how the AdComms see it, but it seems that I haven't been negatively affected by the Ws.

PM me if you want any further details about my situation.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”