How to convey artistic ability?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
schrizto
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:17 pm

How to convey artistic ability?

Postby schrizto » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:52 am

I'm trying to come up with some softs I could end up listing as ECs... don't have many other than Dean's List but I draw a lot in my spare time and I think I'm pretty good. Do you think it would be a good idea to link to an online portfolio on the app/resume or something? I have a deviantart account but I don't know if that would look professional. Any suggestions?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:09 am

schrizto wrote:I'm trying to come up with some softs I could end up listing as ECs... don't have many other than Dean's List but I draw a lot in my spare time and I think I'm pretty good. Do you think it would be a good idea to link to an online portfolio on the app/resume or something? I have a deviantart account but I don't know if that would look professional. Any suggestions?


it wouldn't. artistic ability is totally irrelevant to LS - leave it out and go with the softs you have, otherwise wait a year and get better softs if you want, though softs don't matter as much as people think they do on applications

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:21 pm

what matters for law school admissions: LSAT, GPA, URM Status

what doesn't: everything else


hth

emmbar53
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby emmbar53 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:37 pm

schrizto wrote:I'm trying to come up with some softs I could end up listing as ECs... don't have many other than Dean's List but I draw a lot in my spare time and I think I'm pretty good. Do you think it would be a good idea to link to an online portfolio on the app/resume or something? I have a deviantart account but I don't know if that would look professional. Any suggestions?


I would draw pictures of the dean in sexy poses. Clothes optional.

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby BeenDidThat » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:40 pm

schrizto wrote:I'm trying to come up with some softs I could end up listing as ECs... don't have many other than Dean's List but I draw a lot in my spare time and I think I'm pretty good. Do you think it would be a good idea to link to an online portfolio on the app/resume or something? I have a deviantart account but I don't know if that would look professional. Any suggestions?


It's been said already, but unless you're a professional that's displayed works in multiple shows, etc., no law school admission people care. And no, I wouldn't link to it.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:41 pm

You can put it on your resume under an "Interests" or "Hobbies" section. But I wouldn't give them any samples or links to your work.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:43 pm

JazzOne wrote:You can put it on your resume under an "Interests" or "Hobbies" section. But I wouldn't give them any samples or links to your work.


Apparently I'm following you around these boards today, but this seems about right to me.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:01 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
JazzOne wrote:You can put it on your resume under an "Interests" or "Hobbies" section. But I wouldn't give them any samples or links to your work.


Apparently I'm following you around these boards today, but this seems about right to me.


awww friendz :)

schrizto
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby schrizto » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Well then what are softs supposed to be? I thought I needed at least one EC to write down on the application. If not, then I guess that's a good thing.

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:18 pm

If you haven't taken the LSAT yet draw something in the writing section response space. If it is good enough it will almost certainly get you into HYSCCN.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:19 pm

softs are things like work experience, volunteer work, being in a organization ( fraternity, school club team, varsity college athletics), getting things published, being in the military, etc.

your art can be a soft-if you were recognized for it. if you are just a struggling, starving artist- then its a nice hobby, but not a soft. it all depends on how you spin it.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby Bosque » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:53 pm

northwood wrote:softs are things like work experience, volunteer work, being in a organization ( fraternity, school club team, varsity college athletics), getting things published, being in the military, etc.

your art can be a soft-if you were recognized for it. if you are just a struggling, starving artist- then its a nice hobby, but not a soft. it all depends on how you spin it.


This is about right. I also am pretty good (other law students keep making remarks that if this law thing doesn't work out, I might have a back up career in it-of course, most of those are probably to be nice more than anything), and it helped not at all for law school applications.

Although, if you keep a sketch book I might suggest sticking it in your bag for OCI. I had drawing as an interest line on my resume, and the few times someone brought it up it was really nice to be able to pull it out as tangible proof of my claim. In fact, I think every time I did I got a callback out of it. That said, DON'T pull it out unless the interviewer brings it up. Make sure it makes sense in the context of the conversation.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby glitched » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:59 pm

gwuorbust wrote:what matters for law school admissions: LSAT, GPA, URM Status

what doesn't: everything else


hth


don't agree. numbers will get you to the party, but softs will determine who you go home with.

to the op: best way to convey artistic ability is to show that you've won some type of award/recognition for artistic ability - i think that will look great on a resume and will help your chances.


Edit: also - i wrote a PS about my screenplay that I did not mention anywhere else on my application (nor did i finish it yet) and I tied it into some of my goals. I don't know if it helped or hurt my application, but I'm doing pretty decent right now. You could try doing something like that. If you want more details, feel free to PM me. I would be happy to help. :)

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:21 pm

glitched wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:what matters for law school admissions: LSAT, GPA, URM Status

what doesn't: everything else


hth


don't agree. numbers will get you to the party, but softs will determine who you go home with.

to the op: best way to convey artistic ability is to show that you've won some type of award/recognition for artistic ability - i think that will look great on a resume and will help your chances.


Edit: also - i wrote a PS about my screenplay that I did not mention anywhere else on my application (nor did i finish it yet) and I tied it into some of my goals. I don't know if it helped or hurt my application, but I'm doing pretty decent right now. You could try doing something like that. If you want more details, feel free to PM me. I would be happy to help. :)


check out emory's LSN graph. come back. admit I am right.

ok, so in some instance softs (HYS comes to mind as an exception. OR wait lists where your number are RIGHT at the margin, maybe) could play a small role. but it is so very minor it is hardly worth talking about.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby law_monkey » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:40 pm

glitched wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:what matters for law school admissions: LSAT, GPA, URM Status

what doesn't: everything else


hth


don't agree. numbers will get you to the party, but softs will determine who you go home with.

to the op: best way to convey artistic ability is to show that you've won some type of award/recognition for artistic ability - i think that will look great on a resume and will help your chances.


Edit: also - i wrote a PS about my screenplay that I did not mention anywhere else on my application (nor did i finish it yet) and I tied it into some of my goals. I don't know if it helped or hurt my application, but I'm doing pretty decent right now. You could try doing something like that. If you want more details, feel free to PM me. I would be happy to help. :)


That. Line. Is. Awesome. I also had no idea we were both LAers AND writers. <3

Anyway, I agree that your numbers will only get you so far, but if they have a ton of people with numbers as good as or better than yours that softs can help differentiate people. They're probably more useful when you're on the border.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:44 pm

law_monkey wrote:
That. Line. Is. Awesome. I also had no idea we were both LAers AND writers. <3

Anyway, I agree that your numbers will only get you so far, but if they have a ton of people with numbers as good as or better than yours that softs can help differentiate people. They're probably more useful when you're on the border.


the problem with being on the border? You have to pay sticker. Which is :fine: if you are talking t-17.

I was border GMU and got in. But I would have had to pay sticker @65k/year. sorry, but I don't want to take home 200k in debt.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:49 pm

glitched wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:what matters for law school admissions: LSAT, GPA, URM Status

what doesn't: everything else


hth


don't agree. numbers will get you to the party, but softs will determine who you go home with.

to the op: best way to convey artistic ability is to show that you've won some type of award/recognition for artistic ability - i think that will look great on a resume and will help your chances.


Edit: also - i wrote a PS about my screenplay that I did not mention anywhere else on my application (nor did i finish it yet) and I tied it into some of my goals. I don't know if it helped or hurt my application, but I'm doing pretty decent right now. You could try doing something like that. If you want more details, feel free to PM me. I would be happy to help. :)


I have to disagree with this. I have awful softs but at schools where I had the numbers for it, it didn't matter. At all. In fact I got $$.

User avatar
bergg007
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 12:21 am

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby bergg007 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Draw them a pretty picture.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: How to convey artistic ability?

Postby zonto » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Just put a link to your online portfolio. If you don't have one, make one.

I have my website at the top of my resume along with the rest of my contact information. I also put it below the signature on my personal statement underneath my name.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Thewanderer, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests