This is what awaits many of you upon graduation.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mickey Quicknumbers

Re: This is what awaits many of you upon graduation.

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:17 pm

I'll definitely get hired. I'm a hot girl.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:48 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:I'll definitely get hired. I'm a hot girl.

Self tar? Then absolutely.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Yeah. You could probably graduate from a TTT and still get biglaw if you are willing enough.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:58 pm

FiveSermon wrote:

Yeah. You could probably graduate from a TTT and still get biglaw if you are willing limber enough.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:18 pm

MTal wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:And what is that something?

The fact that you are so insecure in your masculinity, so afraid of showing empathy even when it is warranted because you are afraid that it is a sign of weakness. Let there be no doubt that your reluctance to show any sympathy toward this poor soul is a really a reflection of yourself and your cowardly impotence.

No, it's actually a reflection of my own personal experiences. You want me to give a shit about a down and out lawyer? Never gonna happen.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:23 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
MTal wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:And what is that something?

The fact that you are so insecure in your masculinity, so afraid of showing empathy even when it is warranted because you are afraid that it is a sign of weakness. Let there be no doubt that your reluctance to show any sympathy toward this poor soul is a really a reflection of yourself and your cowardly impotence.

No, it's actually a reflection of my own personal experiences. You want me to give a shit about a down and out lawyer? Never gonna happen.

MTal's is funnier. I'm going to stick with him on this one.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:47 am

Sandro wrote:the guy in the OP's post should just join the French Foreign Legion and come back to USA with a new identity, get his GED, redo undergrad, retake the LSAT, and go to a good school.

The FFL will give you a new identity, but coming back to this country and using it to avoid debts is a crime.

Even if this wasn't the case the FFL has their pick of recruits (less than 10% make it past the first 6 weeks), meaning that: a) the guy in the post probably wouldn't make it for physical reasons, and b) even if he did he would be turned down for having excessive debt that would make him likely to be a target for extradition proceedings if he ever was discovered. They don't mind covering for guys skipping out on their spouses or leaving a forclosure behind, but $200K in unsecured debt would probably be more than they would be willing to risk... especially when there are 9 more guys without those issues willing to take his spot.

How do I know? I had the exact same idea and realized that unless I was going to spend the rest of my life overseas, it wasn't going to happen.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:18 am

Can we start a forum for people who attend T3/4 schools in competitive markets while paying full price just so MTal at least feels like he has an audience to scare straight?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:20 am

Helmholtz wrote:Can we start a forum for people who attend T3/4 schools in competitive markets while paying full price just so MTal at least feels like he has an audience to scare straight?

i don't understand why he doesn't just write a scamblog

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:30 am

Helmholtz wrote:Can we start a forum for people who attend T3/4 schools in competitive markets while paying full price just so MTal at least feels like he has an audience to scare straight?

omg so much win

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:34 am

fatduck wrote:

I would be a little surprised if he doesn't already have one and just hops over to TLS occasionally to fill us in on the highlights of that wonderful insight we've all come to suspect.

As a side note: That thread that was linked to feels an awful lot like an MTal-esque character who pleasures himself while fantasizing about the thought of a perfect, hypothetical unemployed T3/4 grad. I can almost smell MTal's garlicky breath as he cackles while writing in the part of the dead father or being turned away from 7-11. "Yes, yes - after they read this, they will have wished they listened," I can hear him say amidst his own hacks and gurgles. "If only they would appreciate my wisdom. Those damn fools on TLS who go to NYLS full ticket and expect to make Wachtell. Why can't they understand?!?!"

"I never though this could happen to me. I never did drugs, never drank, never been arrested, I did everything I was supposed to do. I went to college, went on to law school yet I'm facing homelessness in the winter. It's just not supposed to be this way."

I mean, seriously. This is not real.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:37 am

socraticmethodman wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:is it just me or does this look a little suspicious.

Sure, I get it, the legal market sucks cow testicles right now, but I can't help but feel this is some major trolling tactic to scare away future generations of lawyers.

Just sayin

+1000

I decided to finish the article, and I seriously can't make myself believe that it is real.

Eh, its got a good chance of being real. Sprinkle bad choices, bad job hunting skills, bad interviewing with bad luck and this kind of situation could very well happen. We don't know about this guys' personal history other than his father has passed on and his mother collects SSI. That right there tells me he's probably not very well connected and may lack the kind of social skills that can help with networking for a job. He might even suffer from depression or some other psychological condition that makes the matter worse. Furthermore, the network he does have seems to be only slightly better off than he is.

The problem with some people on TLS is that they've got their heads so far up their asses that they can't imagine someone with a J.D. who has such different life circumstances that they'd be in this situation. Its possible.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:46 am

Drake014 wrote:
socraticmethodman wrote:

Sure, I get it, the legal market sucks cow testicles right now, but I can't help but feel this is some major trolling tactic to scare away future generations of lawyers.

Just sayin

+1000

I decided to finish the article, and I seriously can't make myself believe that it is real.

The problem with some people on TLS is that they've got their heads so far up their asses that they can't imagine someone with a J.D. who has such different life circumstances that they'd be in this situation. Its possible.

For me, it's less that and more just the nature of the writing/fact scenario and the website it was posted to. I personally know people with J.D.'s from Tier 3/4 schools who couldn't find a legal job and ended up doing things in the construction business, etc. (although I can't say that any of them were ever homeless). But the thread just feels contrived. I don't know. Maybe it's not. I guess the takeaway is not to go to a Tier 3/4 school in New York City? Terrific. Glad we got something out of this.

MTal

Postby MTal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:48 am

Helmholtz wrote:
fatduck wrote:

I would be a little surprised if he doesn't already have one and just hops over to TLS occasionally to fill us in on the highlights of that wonderful insight we've all come to suspect.

As a side note: That thread that was linked to feels an awful lot like an MTal-esque character who pleasures himself while fantasizing about the thought of a perfect, hypothetical unemployed T3/4 grad. I can almost smell MTal's garlicky breath as he cackles while writing in the part of the dead father or being turned away from 7-11. "Yes, yes - after they read this, they will have wished they listened," I can hear him say amidst his own hacks and gurgles. "If only they would appreciate my wisdom. Those damn fools on TLS who go to NYLS full ticket and expect to make Wachtell. Why can't they understand?!?!"

I lol'ed

Seriously, I don't have a blog yet but I am thinking of starting one. Yes, the law school scam will be covered but it won't be the primary or even the most featured topic. Other topics will include the CFA exam, possible career paths after graduation, mideast issues, and the like. I may start it on TLS since I am already somewhat of a known character around these parts.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:53 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
socraticmethodman wrote:

Just sayin

+1000

For me, it's less that and more just the nature of the writing/fact scenario and the website it was posted to. I personally know people with J.D.'s from Tier 3/4 schools who couldn't find a legal job and ended up doing things in the construction business, etc. (although I can't say that any of them were ever homeless). But the thread just feels contrived. I don't know. Maybe it's not. I guess the takeaway is not to go to a Tier 3/4 school in New York City? Terrific. Glad we got something out of this.

What I took away from it is that my life's pretty awesome.

whitman

Postby whitman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:59 am

This thread was a nice reminder to rethink going to law school. Not because the scare tactics were effective - I ain't worried about being homeless - but because, damn, TLS (and law school? the legal profession?) is full of poseur assholes without a trace of empathy. I mean, shit, I was raised in a wealthy household and I somehow got the whole empathy thing. What happened to some of you? Kids made fun of your womanly arms and birdlike tics, so now you bitterly plot your triumphant rise to the top of the big law hierarchy, and give yourself tug jobs while imagining your proud exultant ass dropping a steamer on the little people (TTT grads who had it coming, the teachers who said your lazy ass was headed nowhere, your prom date who fucked the football player as you jerked off behind the door)?

That's not to say that I disagree with posters who point out the inhospitable job market and warn against the dubious decision to fork out $$ on a high-stakes game of Russian roulette.

MTal

Postby MTal » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:16 am

TheTopBloke wrote: No, it's actually a reflection of my own personal experiences. You want me to give a shit about a down and out lawyer? Never gonna happen.

whitman wrote: What happened to some of you? Kids made fun of your womanly arms and birdlike tics, so now you bitterly plot your triumphant rise to the top of the big law hierarchy, and give yourself tug jobs while imagining your proud exultant ass dropping a steamer on the little people (TTT grads who had it coming, the teachers who said your lazy ass was headed nowhere, your prom date who fucked the football player as you jerked off behind the door)?

::snicker::

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:19 am

-

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:34 am

MTal wrote:Seriously, I don't have a blog yet but I am thinking of starting one. Yes, the law school scam will be covered but it won't be the primary or even the most featured topic. Other topics will include the CFA exam, possible career paths after graduation, mideast issues, and the like. I may start it on TLS since I am already somewhat of a known character around these parts.

You give yourself too much credit.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:35 am

If h20 or desert fox started a blog I would follow. Not this clown though.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:40 am

whitman wrote:This thread was a nice reminder to rethink going to law school. Not because the scare tactics were effective - I ain't worried about being homeless - but because, damn, TLS (and law school? the legal profession?) is full of poseur assholes without a trace of empathy.

That's not to say that I disagree with posters who point out the inhospitable job market and warn against the dubious decision to fork out $$ on a high-stakes game of Russian roulette.

To be fair, the wide majority of people at my law school are fantastic people. For the most part, they're a well-adjusted lot with no glaring personality disorders. Some have gone out of their way to offer and give me help and kind words with no thought of self-interest. Are there some people that I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw them? Maybe one or two, but they're definitely exceptions. Possibly this has to do with the school I go to and the type of people it attracts, but I have to say that I've been very happy with the people who I have the pleasure of interacting with on a daily basis.

Most of the backlash against people like MTal on TLS is that they point to gloomy stories of Tier 4 law school graduates on a website where a very sizable portion of the posters are going to the T14, or at least, a T20. This site really isn't need of a prophet foretelling of the dangers awaiting Touro students.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:42 am

whitman wrote:This thread was a nice reminder to rethink going to law school. Not because the scare tactics were effective - I ain't worried about being homeless - but because, damn, TLS (and law school? the legal profession?) is full of poseur assholes without a trace of empathy. I mean, shit, I was raised in a wealthy household and I somehow got the whole empathy thing. What happened to some of you? Kids made fun of your womanly arms and birdlike tics, so now you bitterly plot your triumphant rise to the top of the big law hierarchy, and give yourself tug jobs while imagining your proud exultant ass dropping a steamer on the little people (TTT grads who had it coming, the teachers who said your lazy ass was headed nowhere, your prom date who fucked the football player as you jerked off behind the door)?

If you think the personality traits of the legal profession are vastly different from any other profession then you're sorely mistaken.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:42 am

i have a question. Why is MTal still around these boards? Didn't he get shamed out many cycles ago and drop out? I don't understand the impulse to come to this site when you have been out of the law school process for so long. It is like the high school jock who keeps coming back to visit when he is now a plumber.

whitman

Postby whitman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:25 am

Yeah, I didn't know there was a history. I was more responding to the douche who was saying people could die on the streets if they were dumb enough to think a TTT would take them anywhere. And I was watching Californication, so I felt like writing an outrageous indictment.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:14 am

$1.99 wrote:i have a question. Why is MTal still around these boards? Didn't he get shamed out many cycles ago and drop out? I don't understand the impulse to come to this site when you have been out of the law school process for so long. It is like the high school jock who keeps coming back to visit when he is now a plumber.

lol

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”