This is what awaits many of you upon graduation. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MTal

Silver

Re: This is what awaits many of you upon graduation.

Post by MTal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:22 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
MTal wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:Plus this title is misleading. "Awaits many of you?" Most of TLS is going to T14 schools and I'd say another large portion is going to top 30 schools. There is a huge difference between top 30 schools or T14 schools (possibly with lots of $$) and people who go to TTTT schools at sticker in enormously oversaturated markets.
Bottom half of all but the T3 are effectively shut out of biglaw. That is the only job (apart from IBR doing PI, which is even MORE competitive than biglaw) which will allow grads to make a dent in their loans. The alternatives are shitlaw (pays 35-60k for 60 hour weeks) or getting out of the legal profession entirely.
TBF, 60k for 60 hour weeks would be pretty good with no loans or the tax catastrophe at the end of IBR.
x2. 60k is a good salary, especially if you dont have any loans or only have a small number. I think you just have to smart with where you go (dont go to a T30 at sticker..etc). Some people seem to feel like making 160k is owed to them and any less than that and this is some kind of scam.

Plenty of people go to college and pay 50k? 100k? 150k? for four years of education. They graduate making 30-40k a year (if they can find a job) and you dont see everyone advising you to avoid going to college.

Be smart, dont go to a TTT/TTTT unless its damn well close to free or you have connections and this problem wouldve been solved a long time ago.
ITE, you will be extremely LUCKY to get 60k. Many T14 grads are working in shitlaw, hustling for PI cases making 35-40k with no benefits, or doing doc review in the crowded basements of big firms.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:24 am

no money ITE, everyone's solid

too old for this sh*

Bronze

Post by too old for this sh* » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:27 am

the myths some (mtal/veyron) continue to perpetuate are laughable.

It is QUITE possible to find positions paying enough to be comfortable even with a JD from a TTT/TTTT. Hell, I was well over the $60K figure claimed ITT before bonuses with less than 50 hours a week as an effing paralegal (and was over $50K starting). A recent associate hired into the firm I work with now came from a TTTT and LOVES his six figure salary plus the fact that none of us work much over 40-50 hours in a week.

There IS life beyond BigLaw (and certainly outside of T14). Not every position is based on pedigree...many opportunities are more about the SKILLS and the PERSON, not the school on the parchskin.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:36 am

too old for this sh* wrote:the myths some (mtal/veyron) continue to perpetuate are laughable.

It is QUITE possible to find positions paying enough to be comfortable even with a JD from a TTT/TTTT. Hell, I was well over the $60K figure claimed ITT before bonuses with less than 50 hours a week as an effing paralegal (and was over $50K starting). A recent associate hired into the firm I work with now came from a TTTT and LOVES his six figure salary plus the fact that none of us work much over 40-50 hours in a week.

There IS life beyond BigLaw (and certainly outside of T14). Not every position is based on pedigree...many opportunities are more about the SKILLS and the PERSON, not the school on the parchskin.

Did you graduate with 200k in loans? If you did, would you be ok making 60k starting?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:44 am

BeachandRun23 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
MTal wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:Plus this title is misleading. "Awaits many of you?" Most of TLS is going to T14 schools and I'd say another large portion is going to top 30 schools. There is a huge difference between top 30 schools or T14 schools (possibly with lots of $$) and people who go to TTTT schools at sticker in enormously oversaturated markets.
Bottom half of all but the T3 are effectively shut out of biglaw. That is the only job (apart from IBR doing PI, which is even MORE competitive than biglaw) which will allow grads to make a dent in their loans. The alternatives are shitlaw (pays 35-60k for 60 hour weeks) or getting out of the legal profession entirely.
TBF, 60k for 60 hour weeks would be pretty good with no loans or the tax catastrophe at the end of IBR.
x2. 60k is a good salary, especially if you dont have any loans or only have a small number. I think you just have to smart with where you go (dont go to a T30 at sticker..etc). Some people seem to feel like making 160k is owed to them and any less than that and this is some kind of scam.

Plenty of people go to college and pay 50k? 100k? 150k? for four years of education. They graduate making 30-40k a year (if they can find a job) and you dont see everyone advising you to avoid going to college.

Be smart, dont go to a TTT/TTTT unless its damn well close to free or you have connections and this problem wouldve been solved a long time ago.
A lot of people are starting to realize that $100K for college is just as stupid as $100K for a TTT law school. The law school crowd is more vociferous, but the availability of massive UG loans is also a huge problem.
Last edited by JazzOne on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:46 am

you should really wait a few days until the new nlj stats come out. then all your doom and gloom might have some substance.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:46 am

JazzOne wrote: A lot of people are starting to realize that $100K for college is just as stupid as $100K for a TTT law school.
Especially when your degree is in...

::snicker::

Ethnic Studies.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:23 pm

the guy in the OP's post should just join the French Foreign Legion and come back to USA with a new identity, get his GED, redo undergrad, retake the LSAT, and go to a good school.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Sandro wrote:the guy in the OP's post should just join the French Foreign Legion and come back to USA with a new identity, get his GED, redo undergrad, retake the LSAT, and go to a good school.
:shock: Brilliant! My backup plan is set.

lol @ biglaw or bust. I'm biglaw or French

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:23 pm

too old for this sh* wrote:the myths some (mtal/veyron) continue to perpetuate are laughable.

That's why I spoke of having a good chance at making 60k. The top 5% at a TTT might still have some solid options. Doesn't disprove my point at all.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:29 pm

The message Veyron and (maybe?) Mtal are making is one of probabilistic terms, not absolutes. It's anecdote proof.

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:39 pm

Join the Army, go JAG, loan repay will pay dem bills off. Public sector for that matter.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:44 pm

jessedvhs wrote:Join the Army, go JAG, loan repay will pay dem bills off. Public sector for that matter.
Yeah because the Federal government is pretty much...uhh..."swimming" in money right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:44 pm

jessedvhs wrote:Join the Army, go JAG, loan repay will pay dem bills off. Public sector for that matter.
Jag doesn't seem interesting after talking to people about it. I'd rather enlist and let IBR take that shit.

Also, lol at the zero private cost -- fuck you budget!

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Uhhh..good one.

Unless you're deployed and writing ROE policy, you are pretty much processing article 15 paperwork and DUI cases in garrison. However, it is only a 3 year commitment and probably open up more opportunities after that. Military will cover law school if you are already in and gain acceptance into FLEP and pay back existing loans in yearly increments if you sign up off the street, have friends that did both. Heard similar story from those seeking public sector work. The dollar amounts can change with the needs of the military though.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:03 pm

i'm not eligible for LRP unfortunately

damn you prior service

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:08 pm

Lol, you think JAG is EASY to get? Lol, you kill me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Veyron wrote:
Lol, you think JAG is EASY to get? Lol, you kill me.
true, but all he needs to do is enlist to get LRP

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:28 pm

oh god.. I guess I should just immediately withdraw from all my schools right now. :roll: :roll: :roll:

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:39 pm

MTal wrote:Regardless of the posters school rank, this is a very sad situation which the poster did not deserve to have happen to them.
Going to a TTT/TTTT without $$$ or serious connections is just about as deserving of being homeless as opening some stupid business and failing.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:31 pm

tkgrrett wrote:oh god.. I guess I should just immediately withdraw from all my schools right now. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Nah, I'm pretty sure that Harvard is the exception to the rule :D .

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:54 pm

lsatextreme wrote:is it just me or does this look a little suspicious.

Sure, I get it, the legal market sucks cow testicles right now, but I can't help but feel this is some major trolling tactic to scare away future generations of lawyers.

Just sayin

Yep this person is part of some grand conspiracy to fabricate a labor shortage and push salaries up for lawyers.

:roll:

The market does suck. I know several 3Ls who are very close to this posters position at my T6.

Some of the guys who go to my gym graduated last year from Fordham AND STILL DONT HAVE JOBS. Two of them are living with their mothers!!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Veyron wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:oh god.. I guess I should just immediately withdraw from all my schools right now. :roll: :roll: :roll:
prestige whore

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:12 pm

fatduck wrote:
Veyron wrote:
prestige whore
We've already established that. Now we're just quibbling about the price.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Is it hookers and blow?

TL, DNR

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”