Question about negotiating scholarships

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EricBerry

Question about negotiating scholarships

Postby EricBerry » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:00 pm

I've been accepted with scholarship at private school A and sticker at public school B. School A is ranked about 5 spots higher than school B and, even with the scholarship, it is slightly more expensive. I have no interest in school A, but I want to try to leverage the scholarship for some money at B. Is this feasible considering the COA at B is cheaper than school A with scholarship? Any ideas how I could word the email? Thanks

Dr. Review

Re: Question about negotiating scholarships

Postby Dr. Review » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:59 am

This is feasible. I did something similar at my current school. I leveraged a big scholarship at a lower ranked private school to get money at my public school. The scholly was big at the private school, but it was still more expensive there than sticker would've been at the public school I go to.

Give it a shot.

aspire2more

Postby aspire2more » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:09 am

Good question, I'd be interested in hearing suggestions about appropriate wording too.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:19 am

This thread should be stickied in the financial aid forum. I can't even count the number of times I've posted it in negotiation threads:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:23 am

I'll share my email that I used to negotiate.

"Financial Aid Lady",

My name is "Bedsole", a recently admitted student at your institution. I would like to begin by stating that I have been very impressed thus far in all that I have seen. Your facilities, staff, and faculty all seem top notch, and have placed the "My School" near the top of my list of schools for consideration. I would also like to express my gratitude and appreciation for the opportunity to study law at your institution.

As you well know, financial concerns are one of the primary deciding factors for any prospective student when determining which school is right for them, and I am no different. Law school is an investment, and not one that should be taken lightly. Having said that, a school to which I have been admitted "Other School" has offered me merit aid in an amount that makes it less expensive, factoring in the cost of living, to attend than "My School". Specifically, this is in the sum of $25,000/year. While I have been very impressed with all that I have seen in regards to your institution, I would like to be able to put this financial concern to rest.

Specifically, I was hoping to inquire about the possibility of potentially being awarded financial aid, in the form of a partial scholarship, such that I would be able to make the decision more easily. I understand that this is not always an option, but would like to be more able to seriously consider my options without too much further concern about cost. Any help that you could provide in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions, or require any information, feel free to contact me at "My Cell #", or you may e-mail me at this address.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Thank you,

"Bedsole"

-- Now, I hammed it up a bit in that email, as I have a tendency to do, but that's what I used to negotiate money.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:24 am

Bedsole wrote:I'll share my email that I used to negotiate.

"Financial Aid Lady",

My name is "Bedsole", a recently admitted student at your institution. I would like to begin by stating that I have been very impressed thus far in all that I have seen. Your facilities, staff, and faculty all seem top notch, and have placed the "My School" near the top of my list of schools for consideration. I would also like to express my gratitude and appreciation for the opportunity to study law at your institution.

As you well know, financial concerns are one of the primary deciding factors for any prospective student when determining which school is right for them, and I am no different. Law school is an investment, and not one that should be taken lightly. Having said that, a school to which I have been admitted "Other School" has offered me merit aid in an amount that makes it less expensive, factoring in the cost of living, to attend than "My School". Specifically, this is in the sum of $25,000/year. While I have been very impressed with all that I have seen in regards to your institution, I would like to be able to put this financial concern to rest.

Specifically, I was hoping to inquire about the possibility of potentially being awarded financial aid, in the form of a partial scholarship, such that I would be able to make the decision more easily. I understand that this is not always an option, but would like to be more able to seriously consider my options without too much further concern about cost. Any help that you could provide in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

If you have any questions, or require any information, feel free to contact me at "My Cell #", or you may e-mail me at this address.

Thank you,

"Bedsole"

-- Now, I hammed it up a bit in that email, as I have a tendency to do, but that's what I used to negotiate money.

I would have withdrawn your acceptance.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:27 am

If I could withdraw yours, I would do it daily. Just keep extending and withdrawing.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:31 am

Bedsole wrote: Just keep extending and withdrawing.

You're gross.

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:02 am

"Financial Aid Lady",

Thank you,

"Bedsole"

I feel like this is a bit much.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:03 am

jwrash wrote:

"Financial Aid Lady",

Thank you,

"Bedsole"

I feel like this is a bit much.

+1

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:04 am

It absolutely was a bit much. Ah to be a naive 0L again... nonetheless, it worked.

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:53 pm

Bedsole, your letter sounds good to me, but it wouldn't make sense in the situation I'm in. I'm having problems trying to articulate a reason why they should negotiate scholarships if the other school with scholly is still more expensive.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Public schools (other than the T14) generally do not negotiate scholarships. There is no need because students will come to them anyway.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:21 pm

Cupidity wrote:Public schools (other than the T14) generally do not negotiate scholarships. There is no need because students will come to them anyway.

This is not right at all.

Almost all schools are willing to negotiate scholarships. The majority of people who are successful negotiating have at least one stat that the school wants to help with their medians. But it is still very possible to get money if you're at median for both stats. The thread I posted earlier is a great walkthrough of the process.

I went from $0 at Pitt to over $12,000 per year by following that advice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”