Meet Watson, the future legal counselor

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
javancho

Meet Watson, the future legal counselor

Postby javancho » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:38 pm

This has nothing to do with "admissions," but I believe it is important for us to consider how technology like this will impact our future legal careers.

Watson is a computer that will challenge the greatest Jeopardy players Feb 14-16. I wonder if an LSAT fine-tuned Watson could score 180 in less than 15 minutes?

http://www.usnews.com/science/articles/ ... n-jeopardy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otBeCmpEKTs

I guess that in the recent past, computers (and robots) have displaced the blue-collar workforce, but white-collar jobs were immune because these computers were "too dumb" to handle intellectually challenging data. Well, not anymore, and it now it looks like the white-collar jobs could also be in the line of fire in the near future. Imagine how technology like Watson could alter the jobs of doctors, pharmacists, accountants, lawyers, etc. And yes, I do realize that Watson 1.0 is gigantic, extremely expensive, and perhaps a bit clumsy, but what about Watson 10.0?

Bildungsroman

Re: Meet Watson, the future legal counselor

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Yeah, Watson is going to mechanize the LSAT-taking industry and displace those of us who are professional LSAT-takers.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:43 pm

It doesn't matter. The market will soon be flooded with Watsons while the real legal work is being outsourced to AI running on cheaper servers in India.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:45 pm

By the time that robots can do the work of lawyers and doctors, you will be either:

A) Dead (presumably by robots)
B) A Robot

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:51 pm

I'd say you might like to read Kurzweil's stuff, but you might let that stuff get to your head (like he did). Basically, he argues that by 2030 or so we will have created a truly intelligent robot, which will then create and even smarter robot, and so on and so forth until something like God is created. He also thinks that if you can live to that point you can become one of the robots that will live forever, or some crap like that. His stuff is cool to read and think about when you're high, but don't fool yourself into believing its science.

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:04 pm

2011Law wrote:I'd say you might like to read Kurzweil's stuff, but you might let that stuff get to your head (like he did). Basically, he argues that by 2030 or so we will have created a truly intelligent robot, which will then create and even smarter robot, and so on and so forth until something like God is created. He also thinks that if you can live to that point you can become one of the robots that will live forever, or some crap like that. His stuff is cool to read and think about when you're high, but don't fool yourself into believing its science.

Why not? As a member of the Robot Club, I think I speak for all of us when I say that your primitive and outdated mode of thinking is offensively foolish. I could send an army of Roombas after you and have you dead by dawn... If I wanted. Remember that.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:06 pm

vanwinkle wrote:It doesn't matter. The market will soon be flooded with Watsons while the real legal work is being outsourced to AI running on cheaper servers in India.

Nice

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:14 pm

As a BSEE + JD I say construct and program these computer associates.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:As a BSEE + JD I say construct and program these computer associates.

the hard part will be getting them to lie about their hours

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:38 pm

fatduck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:As a BSEE + JD I say construct and program these computer associates.

No way.

If time() == time.Lunch() then
bill(bigClient, 1 hour);

bill(timeTaken + 30 minutes);

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fatduck wrote:

No way.

bill(bigClient, 1 hour);

too transparent. you need deniability.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 pm

2011Law wrote:I'd say you might like to read Kurzweil's stuff, but you might let that stuff get to your head (like he did). Basically, he argues that by 2030 or so we will have created a truly intelligent robot, which will then create and even smarter robot, and so on and so forth until something like God is created. He also thinks that if you can live to that point you can become one of the robots that will live forever, or some crap like that. His stuff is cool to read and think about when you're high, but don't fool yourself into believing its science.

:shock: Actually, no! He is just a copy cat.

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 pm

fatduck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
fatduck wrote:

No way.

bill(bigClient, 1 hour);

too transparent. you need deniability.

True. But if they are billing 24 hours a day they might not have to over bill.

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Yeah, I actually think it's somewhat doable, as we've seen in medicine. The problem is people are always (rightly or wrongly) going to want a person in charge somewhere.

It's ironic that capitalisms (supposed) ultimate stimulant (innovation) is slowly leading us to a place that ultimately cannot be supported by capitalism (an increasing number of useless people who are increasingly useless).

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:Yeah, I actually think it's somewhat doable, as we've seen in medicine. The problem is people are always (rightly or wrongly) going to want a person in charge somewhere.

It's ironic that capitalisms (supposed) ultimate stimulant (innovation) is slowly leading us to a place that ultimately cannot be supported by capitalism (an increasing number of useless people who are increasingly useless).

A lot of parentheses there :?

But yeah I agree with what you say actually. It COULD work with super high unemployment or with less people but not really. On the bright side, people with jobs and the owners of capital are setting themselves up more massive win so INVEST.

yale2011

Postby yale2011 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:31 am

Last edited by yale2011 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:13 am

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos

8ballistic

Postby 8ballistic » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:28 pm

As long as I make partner before these guys are out on the market, I'm set.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:49 pm

Time to change my concentration to "AI advocacy"

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:53 pm

8ballistic wrote:As long as I make partner submit completely to robot rule before these guys are out on the market now, I'm set.

Postby 174 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:45 pm

AreJay711 wrote:

:shock: Actually, no! He is just a copy cat.

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

That was a good read. Thanks for posting that.

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:45 pm

I don't think a true AI can actually be built, i.e. I don't think intelligence can be "designed" or "built" via intelligence. Rather, I think it has to be a product of time and selection pressure.

Of course automation takes over grunt work, and it can do so to the extent of rampant unemployment, but I don't think there will ever be a "robot uprising" or a robot building a better robot.

This guy seems to think machines will replace all of us except for the most high-level executives/thinkers/etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlQrYCacrKo

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”