LOR has errors, include it or not?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I include the letter in my application?

Yes
10
56%
No
6
33%
Don't know
2
11%
 
Total votes: 18

User avatar
cmraider
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm

LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby cmraider » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Here's the skinny: I have four letters of recommendation, which is all I will use/need. One of my professors sent me a copy of his well-written LOR, but there's a problem. In it he mentions that he met my academic excellence in a class which I never took. I did take a class with him, but not the one he mentions. When I e-mailed him, I did mention which class I took with him. I do know that he teaches like three sections of the class I didn't take and one of the course I did take, so I guess I can understand where he got confused.

My question is: will this get noticed? Obviously, schools will have my transcript, but will they put two and two together? The class he mentions. "professional writing," has a name similar to a class I did take, though not with him, "research and argumentative writing." Otherwise, it was an eloquent letter that I would very much like to include.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Don't include it unless you need 4 LOR's.

pwyoung
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:19 am

Re: LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby pwyoung » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:03 pm

There's a slim likelihood that readers of both your transcript and this LOR are going to cross-reference them, and if they do, I think the initial response might be to dismiss it as a simple mistake in terms of class-title labeling (unless it's clear that the class you took with him on your transcript is in NO WAY similar).

That being said, it's dependent on how strong this LOR is in relation to your others. For the most part you should only need upwards of 3 so it's possible to avoid using this one, but if this is really a slam-dunk LOR outside of that mistake then I say take your chances and send it.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:08 pm

You say you "would like" to include, implying that you did not send it in yet. Why can't you ask him to fix it, and resend the letter?

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby notanumber » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:10 pm

bk1 wrote:Don't include it unless you need 4 LOR's.


This.

User avatar
cmraider
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby cmraider » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:17 pm

pwyoung wrote:There's a slim likelihood that readers of both your transcript and this LOR are going to cross-reference them, and if they do, I think the initial response might be to dismiss it as a simple mistake in terms of class-title labeling (unless it's clear that the class you took with him on your transcript is in NO WAY similar).


He put, "professional writing." I took, "literature in film."

pwyoung wrote:That being said, it's dependent on how strong this LOR is in relation to your others. For the most part you should only need upwards of 3 so it's possible to avoid using this one, but if this is really a slam-dunk LOR outside of that mistake then I say take your chances and send it.


He's the only person who sent me a copy, so I don't know how good the others are.

MrPapagiorgio wrote:You say you "would like" to include, implying that you did not send it in yet. Why can't you ask him to fix it, and resend the letter?


I haven't submitted any applications yet, but deadlines are knocking on the door. I'm a little bit uneasy about taking this route. Since I can't view my letters on LSAC, I don't know if there is any way I can be sure that it does get changed.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby Cade McNown » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Ahem, from the LOR cover form:

"Important: This form must be fully completed and must accompany your signed letter of recommendation in order for
LSAC to match the letter to the applicant's file. Letters received without this completed form or without your signature will be
returned to you. Do not send supporting materials (e.g., résumés) with your letter. They will be returned to you. Please complete
or correct the lower portion of this form and mail the form and your signed recommendation letter, preferably on letterhead, in a
sealed envelope directly to LSAC at the address shown above.
If the applicant provides you with an envelope addressed to
LSAC and bearing his or her return address, please place your signature across the bottom portion of the envelope flap after
sealing. Please do not staple your letter to this form. "

How hard is it for recommenders to read this instruction? You are not supposed to be editing and/or reviewing your LORs!!! Just don't submit it, you'll be fine with only 3.

Anonymous Loser
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:17 am

Re: LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby Anonymous Loser » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:38 pm

Cade McNown wrote:How hard is it for recommenders to read this instruction? You are not supposed to be editing and/or reviewing your LORs!!!


What about this instruction gives you the impression that recommenders cannot disclose their letters to candidates?

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby Cade McNown » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:How hard is it for recommenders to read this instruction? You are not supposed to be editing and/or reviewing your LORs!!!


What about this instruction gives you the impression that recommenders cannot disclose their letters to candidates?


DIRECTLY to lsac.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:19 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Ahem, from the LOR cover form:

"Important: This form must be fully completed and must accompany your signed letter of recommendation in order for
LSAC to match the letter to the applicant's file. Letters received without this completed form or without your signature will be
returned to you. Do not send supporting materials (e.g., résumés) with your letter. They will be returned to you. Please complete
or correct the lower portion of this form and mail the form and your signed recommendation letter, preferably on letterhead, in a
sealed envelope directly to LSAC at the address shown above.
If the applicant provides you with an envelope addressed to
LSAC and bearing his or her return address, please place your signature across the bottom portion of the envelope flap after
sealing. Please do not staple your letter to this form. "

How hard is it for recommenders to read this instruction? You are not supposed to be editing and/or reviewing your LORs!!! Just don't submit it, you'll be fine with only 3.


You are incorrect. Nowehere does LSAC indicate that you are not supposed to see your LOR. Their process ensures that the LOR they receive is actually from the professor, and they give students the ability to opt out of their FERPA right to see the letter, but LSC never says that the recommender can't send you a copy of their letter to check over. This is such common practice that, if it were verboten, LSAC would state it explicitly.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby JazzOne » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:22 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Ahem, from the LOR cover form:

"Important: This form must be fully completed and must accompany your signed letter of recommendation in order for
LSAC to match the letter to the applicant's file. Letters received without this completed form or without your signature will be
returned to you. Do not send supporting materials (e.g., résumés) with your letter. They will be returned to you. Please complete
or correct the lower portion of this form and mail the form and your signed recommendation letter, preferably on letterhead, in a
sealed envelope directly to LSAC at the address shown above.
If the applicant provides you with an envelope addressed to
LSAC and bearing his or her return address, please place your signature across the bottom portion of the envelope flap after
sealing. Please do not staple your letter to this form. "

How hard is it for recommenders to read this instruction? You are not supposed to be editing and/or reviewing your LORs!!! Just don't submit it, you'll be fine with only 3.

How hard is it for 0Ls to understand the plain meaning of this instruction?

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby Cade McNown » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:00 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Ahem, from the LOR cover form:

"Important: This form must be fully completed and must accompany your signed letter of recommendation in order for
LSAC to match the letter to the applicant's file. Letters received without this completed form or without your signature will be
returned to you. Do not send supporting materials (e.g., résumés) with your letter. They will be returned to you. Please complete
or correct the lower portion of this form and mail the form and your signed recommendation letter, preferably on letterhead, in a
sealed envelope directly to LSAC at the address shown above.
If the applicant provides you with an envelope addressed to
LSAC and bearing his or her return address, please place your signature across the bottom portion of the envelope flap after
sealing. Please do not staple your letter to this form. "

How hard is it for recommenders to read this instruction? You are not supposed to be editing and/or reviewing your LORs!!! Just don't submit it, you'll be fine with only 3.


You are incorrect. Nowehere does LSAC indicate that you are not supposed to see your LOR. Their process ensures that the LOR they receive is actually from the professor, and they give students the ability to opt out of their FERPA right to see the letter, but LSC never says that the recommender can't send you a copy of their letter to check over. This is such common practice that, if it were verboten, LSAC would state it explicitly.


Ok, you're right, I was reading too much into that. Still, a LOR is not genuine if the student it's for can alter it. OP is fortunate to have caught the professor's error, and I think the best thing to do is abandon the letter.

kublaikahn
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 am

Re: LOR has errors, include it or not?

Postby kublaikahn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:38 am

cmraider wrote:Here's the skinny: I have four letters of recommendation, which is all I will use/need. One of my professors sent me a copy of his well-written LOR, but there's a problem. In it he mentions that he met my academic excellence in a class which I never took. I did take a class with him, but not the one he mentions. When I e-mailed him, I did mention which class I took with him. I do know that he teaches like three sections of the class I didn't take and one of the course I did take, so I guess I can understand where he got confused.

My question is: will this get noticed? Obviously, schools will have my transcript, but will they put two and two together? The class he mentions. "professional writing," has a name similar to a class I did take, though not with him, "research and argumentative writing." Otherwise, it was an eloquent letter that I would very much like to include.


When I went to B school I had an academic advisor send a letter directly to a school and when he copied me, he referred to what a wonderful student John was. I bet he was. The only problem is my name is not John.

If the adcom's find the error it still wont hurt you, it may no longer help you, but it cant hurt. Most professors cut and paste old reference letters.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: echonov, Houzy, laqueredup and 7 guests