Confused on writing Resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dripworx

Confused on writing Resume

Postby Dripworx » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:16 am

So a few issues Im having in writing my resume are these:

I transferred from my first college, how do I (if i even should) mention it in my resume, its not like i got a degree or anything so I dont have much to say other than I did well when I was there...

Whats the general outline, bullet points vs paragraphs etc.

All of my jobs have been dead end shit jobs (e.g. jamba juice, dunkin donuts, starbucks) however, working at starbucks at my school offered me full tuition if i worked 20+ hours per week so I essentially paid for my school since sophomore year...other than being an RA my freshman year, and beginning of sophomore year, I have had pretty menial jobs.... do I list the ones that are shit jobs just for kicks? or should I just focus on starbucks (paying tuition) and my RA experience...

I have never had any "honors" or awards... Im pretty average, never stood out really, didnt participate in any clubs or anything so none of that.... should I fill that instead with my interest in music? I am proficient in a music studio, and have worked with several local artists on production and performances etc. I could mention my music background but it has no credentials or proof per-se...

in essence, i dont know whats worth mentioning and what isnt...

Im openly admitting that i have no fucking clue where to go or how to approach this, so any advice or help is welcome, Im not sensitive so dont filter whatever your initial reaction is, just be honest with the advice!

Thanks!!!!

sarahh

Re: Confused on writing Resume

Postby sarahh » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:53 pm

Dripworx wrote:So a few issues Im having in writing my resume are these:

I transferred from my first college, how do I (if i even should) mention it in my resume, its not like i got a degree or anything so I dont have much to say other than I did well when I was there...

Whats the general outline, bullet points vs paragraphs etc.

All of my jobs have been dead end shit jobs (e.g. jamba juice, dunkin donuts, starbucks) however, working at starbucks at my school offered me full tuition if i worked 20+ hours per week so I essentially paid for my school since sophomore year...other than being an RA my freshman year, and beginning of sophomore year, I have had pretty menial jobs.... do I list the ones that are shit jobs just for kicks? or should I just focus on starbucks (paying tuition) and my RA experience...

I have never had any "honors" or awards... Im pretty average, never stood out really, didnt participate in any clubs or anything so none of that.... should I fill that instead with my interest in music? I am proficient in a music studio, and have worked with several local artists on production and performances etc. I could mention my music background but it has no credentials or proof per-se...

in essence, i dont know whats worth mentioning and what isnt...

Im openly admitting that i have no fucking clue where to go or how to approach this, so any advice or help is welcome, Im not sensitive so dont filter whatever your initial reaction is, just be honest with the advice!

Thanks!!!!

You can probably just list the first college with the years of attendance. I think they will understand that you transferred.
I like bullet points. You can really do either.
For the jobs, see what the application says. If it wants you to list all of your jobs, list them all. If not, it is okay to list the most significant ones.
I think it is fine to mention the music. Put it down as a hobby and list a few specific things you have done.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”