Choosing b/w pepperdine and loyola Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ash;-)

New

Choosing b/w pepperdine and loyola

Post by Ash;-) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:24 am

Hi guys

Just got accepted to loyola with 30k/year and pepperdine with 20k/year.... Now I'm not sure which one to pick. I rather go to a less competitive school and I like both. I would appreciate inputs specially if you are attending one of them....

Thanks in advance

1ferret!

Bronze

Re: Choosing b/w pepperdine and loyola

Post by 1ferret! » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:57 am

The two schools really have a different character to them. I encourage you to spend several hours visiting each...sit in on classes...meet some students in the common areas....and talk to them about their experiences in the areas you care about.
The locations are very different, class sizes are very different.

There really isn't a great deal of competition at Pepperdine. Everyone goes out of their way to help each other out, the Professors and Deans Suite included.
There is a curve of course, and some people will be more competitive than others. However, that personality type doesn't really come across in an obnoxious way.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:02 am

I'd expect the competition is similar between them.

These schools are fairly comparable so follow the money.

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:53 am

FWIW, I have spoken to a lot of students from both schools, and I find a disproportionately high number of students from Loyola claim they absolutely loved their law school experience.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 am

I'm a 1L at Pepperdine and absolutely love my law school experience here.

Have you visited the schools yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:19 am

Ash;-) wrote:Hi guys

Just got accepted to loyola with 30k/year and pepperdine with 20k/year.... Now I'm not sure which one to pick. I rather go to a less competitive school and I like both. I would appreciate inputs specially if you are attending one of them....

Thanks in advance
I'm pretty sure Pepperdine is in Malibu. And in case you haven't visited Malibu, it's basically one of the relaxing spots in Cali - it's a surf city.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:32 am

loyola seems to have better job prospects and a better alum network.

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:51 am

gothamm wrote:loyola seems to have better job prospects and a better alum network.
i wouldn't base my school decision on "seems to have better [employment]" though.

you can easily find that data either online or by phone, OP.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 am

jeremysen wrote:
gothamm wrote:loyola seems to have better job prospects and a better alum network.
i wouldn't base my school decision on "seems to have better [employment]" though.

online data and phone call? you can't be serious.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:32 am

Also pepperdine is known for being a "conservative" school, not sure about loyola, so your personal political beliefs could come into play here

Ash;-)

New

Post by Ash;-) » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:03 pm

A little more info about me to see if it would help narrow the choices better: I would like to go into private practice and going to conservative school would not present any issues for me. In addition I don't really care about the school having a nice campus or being next to the sea...

NorCalBruin

Silver

Post by NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Ash;-) wrote:A little more info about me to see if it would help narrow the choices better: I would like to go into private practice and going to conservative school would not present any issues for me. In addition I don't really care about the school having a nice campus or being next to the sea...
Ok. I get that job prospects are paramount. I understand that career should be your number one focus... but c'mon! This is where you will be spending three years of your life! You SHOULD care about the location and campus... at least a little. I say that mostly because Loyola and Pepperdine's locations and facilities are VERY different. Many people who would be happy at one would not be happy at the other. So let us know what you're looking for. I would be happy to elaborate further on their differences.

That said, I wouldn't worry about the "conservative" thing at all. I don't think it's overbearing. It's probably not overbearing unless you go to Regent or maybe BYU. Even then, everyone in law school is mature (or more mature) and should be more sensible about politics and religion anyway.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:42 pm

NorCalBruin wrote:That said, I wouldn't worry about the "conservative" thing at all. I don't think it's overbearing.
Yeah, it's all fun and games until you get caught drinking and/or having sex on campus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HopefulFish

Bronze

Post by HopefulFish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:39 pm

Pepperdine is the Regent Law of Westcoast.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:49 pm

HopefulFish wrote:Pepperdine is the Regent Law of Westcoast.
This is not even remotely true.

amers73

Bronze

Post by amers73 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:50 pm

fragged wrote:FWIW, I have spoken to a lot of students from both schools, and I find a disproportionately high number of students from Loyola claim they absolutely loved their law school experience.
+1

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Loyola

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:55 pm

gothamm wrote:
jeremysen wrote:

online data and phone call? you can't be serious.
sure beats "seems to have better job prospects"

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:58 pm

jeremysen wrote:
gothamm wrote:online data and phone call? you can't be serious.
LST has them as pretty damn comparable for the class of 2008.

I also doubt that admissions offices are willing to give up info that readily, or that the necessarily have that info.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:08 pm

bk187 wrote:
jeremysen wrote:
gothamm wrote:online data and phone call? you can't be serious.
LST has them as pretty damn comparable for the class of 2008.

I also doubt that admissions offices are willing to give up info that readily, or that the necessarily have that info.
or that the info law schools post is necessarily accurate.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:13 pm

gothamm wrote:or that the info law schools post is necessarily accurate.
I don't think they necessarily lie (with some exceptions, e.g. Villanova or whatever it was), but they do obscure the truth. I mean "median salary of 100k" is probably accurate, even if the footnote says "median salary of 100k for the 30% of the class that is in private practice with only 75% of them reporting salary info."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ash;-)

New

Post by Ash;-) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:24 pm

does anyone knows in comparison which school is less competitive and in which one students have to work less to get to the top 30% of the class... lol

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Ash;-) wrote:does anyone knows in comparison which school is less competitive and in which one students have to work less to get to the top 30% of the class... lol
Probably not a large difference between the two.

Honestly for you I'd choose on atmosphere if cost is equal. If you enjoy attending the school more then you are likely to do better on exams than if you went to a school you enjoyed less. If cost isn't close, then go to the cheaper one.

Another thing, if cost is close choose the one with the looser stipulations on your scholarship.

Ash;-)

New

Post by Ash;-) » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:50 pm

loyola gives me $30k per year for 3 years and pepperdine $20k per year for 3 years. i have to stay in top 30% of the class that they will renew my scholarship for the 2nd and 3rd year [both schools]. that is why i though the school with the easier curve would offer more assurance in getting the money for the 2nd and 3rd year. in addition if i go to loyola i could stay at home and don't have to move which will at the minimum saves me about $12k per year. but for pepperdine have to move to malibu and pay rent.

any comments now base on the new info?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Ash;-) wrote:loyola gives me $30k per year for 3 years and pepperdine $20k per year for 3 years. i have to stay in top 30% of the class that they will renew my scholarship for the 2nd and 3rd year [both schools]. that is why i though the school with the easier curve would offer more assurance in getting the money for the 2nd and 3rd year. in addition if i go to loyola i could stay at home and don't have to move which will at the minimum saves me about $12k per year. but for pepperdine have to move to malibu and pay rent.

any comments now base on the new info?
Loyola for sure if you don't mind living at home. The difference in cost is huge.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”