Advantages of Big Law (for post-BL career outside of BL)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whitman

Advantages of Big Law (for post-BL career outside of BL)

Postby whitman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:02 pm

OK, so I keep hearing that, even if you're not interested in the Big Law life and aren't looking to claw your way toward a partnership, you should take it if you can get it because of the opportunities this opens up for your career. Can someone elaborate on that? I am specifically interested in PI, public policy, government. Obviously, I don't mean to apply that you can just decide to get big law if you want to.

And I'm not looking for information regarding big law salaries, the ability to pay off debt, or the big law prestige.

rinkrat19

Re: Advantages of Big Law (for post-BL career outside of BL)

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:07 pm

I guess the obvious answer would be that "X years as an associate at BigLaw Firm" looks a hell of a lot better on a resume with a future job application than "Ambulance Chaser With Sketchy Personal Injury Firm" and you're more likely to get whatever job you're aiming for.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm

whitman wrote:And I'm not looking for information regarding big law salaries, the ability to pay off debt, or the big law prestige.

BigLaw is about all of those things.

Postby 174 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:18 pm

After a few years of experience, you are employable to PI and government employers that don't have the resources to hire and train useless new graduates.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 pm

The argument is that you have a lot more opportunities to pursue your interests because they're full-service firms. For example, if you're interested in class action litigation, large transactions, or public companies work, you will not have the opportunity to work in these areas unless you go biglaw. If you want to transition to in-house later on, the company may require experience in such fields.

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
whitman wrote:And I'm not looking for information regarding big law salaries, the ability to pay off debt, or the big law prestige.

BigLaw is about all of those things.

Right. That is assumed and not worth discussing.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”