About softs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PriOSky

New

About softs

Post by PriOSky » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:04 pm

What would be some above average softs, average softs, and below average softs?

Above average:

Average:

Below average:

rman1201

Silver

Re: About softs

Post by rman1201 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Above Average: Div 1 Sports, Climbed Everest, Published research in a journal, wrote a novel, Military w/ overseas deployments, Peace Corps, Teach for America, extensive work experience in an interesting field

Average: Internships, Club leadership positions, intramural sports, average work experience

Below Average: Not having softs

duckmoney

Silver

Re: About softs

Post by duckmoney » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 pm

The correct TLS answer is that above average softs only include truly exceptional things - military service, teach for america, published research, nationally competitive scholarships (think Rhodes), etc. URM status also falls here.

Average softs are typical of quality applicants: undergrad involvement, club president, senior thesis, internships, work experience, etc.

Below average softs are reserved for people who have empty resumes.

In reality I think TLS downplays the value of "average" softs too much. The fact is that most law school applicants weren't fraternity president AND did 2 competitive internships AND held student government office AND wrote a senior thesis. I have comparable softs to these, and I've had multiple admissions officers tell me they were very impressed by my leadership and resume.

Bottom line: softs, unless truly exceptional, won't make up for low numbers, but they can push you over the top and mean the difference between an "accept" and a waitlist if you're right on the edge.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”