Meeting with T14 adcomm. What do? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Shooter

Bronze

Meeting with T14 adcomm. What do?

Post by Shooter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 pm

Wondering if anyone else has done this. If so, do you have any tips, suggestions or talking points?

Since I initiated the meeting, I'm expecting to carry the conversation. Do they tend to look favorably upon this sort of thing?

Essentially, I'm just looking for some TLS wisdom. Thanks!

Shooter

Bronze

Re: Meeting with T14 adcomm. What do?

Post by Shooter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:45 pm

Nothing?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:46 pm

Shooter wrote:Nothing?
Well, why did you set up this meeting? To sell yourself? To find out more info?

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:50 pm

I can only speak generally because they're obviously not T-14, but I met with an admissions dean at W&M a couple of weeks ago. I expected to carry the conversation since (a) I was the one who requested the meeting and (b) because I had already gotten in. I scheduled the meeting about a week before finding out that I got in, so I was expecting to go in there and plead my case for getting in, so once I got in I figured it'd mostly be a question-and-answer session about the school (with me asking the questions), but it ended up being way more like an interview with a few minutes for questions at the end.

My only suggestions would be the pretty obvious, typical interview ones. Have good, concise answers in your mind to why you want to study/practice law, why school x is one of your top choices, know some basic information about the school, and have a few good questions to ask.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:52 pm

To answer the first question. Yes, I'd like to sell myself, but I also want some more info about the application process and dual degree programs (cost, admissions, etc).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:28 am

Shooter wrote:To answer the first question. Yes, I'd like to sell myself, but I also want some more info about the application process and dual degree programs (cost, admissions, etc).
If your meeting turns out like mine, you'll be in a good position to do both.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 am

I have met with admissions deans and directors at several T14, both before and after admission to their programs. Ask them legitimate questions about the school that you can't answer by reading their admissions information. Also, I would shy away from questions about your application and the decision unless you have an extenuating circumstance(that doesn't make you look bad). If they have questions about your application they will ask you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”