Page 1 of 1

Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 pm
by daburrel
Okay, I have the following situation (below) and the following question: Do I have ability to negotiate and how soon should I begin?

St. Thomas (Florida) - Accepted w/ 10,000yr
Florida Coastal - Accepted w/ 10,000yr
Barry University - Accepted w/ 9,000yr
Loyola (New Orleans) - Accepted (not sure if I got even a DIME but I believe NOTHING)

I still have pending applications out at Stetson, Tulane, LSU, Mercer and Miami. Each of the remaining schools are a for sure bargaining chip on the schools listed above with just accepted (I would like to THINK).

However, I am wondering if my acceptance to Loyola is good enough to negotiate anything at St. Thomas or Barry (#1 and #3 choices, Loyola is #2)? If its good enough, how should I go about it and how soon should I start or should I wait to hear from remaining schools? Also, who do I email when looking to negotiate.

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:18 pm
by MrPapagiorgio
IBTposts telling him not to go to the TTT and TTTT schools and retake/reapply.

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 pm
by HowdyYall
tag

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:27 pm
by beachbum
Have you applied to Nova?

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:52 pm
by daburrel
no I haven't. I wanted to apply to FAMU also but 3 LOR won't work for me.....everyone needed 2 and being this late and I only have 2 (even though I can get a 3rd) I just think it's kinda late to go through that process.

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:32 am
by EricBerry
I see on your profile that you're a minority. Are you considered a URM? If so, you have a slight chance at LSU, especially as a resident of LA. You shouldn't consider the others unless you get a substantial scholarship from Loyola.

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 am
by daburrel
Yeah that's why I am trying to start the process to negotiate aid. I wouldn't like to attend LSU but an acceptance should help me bargain with other schools for sure (fingers crossed). Anyone have any idea on answers to my questions?

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:39 am
by rman1201
Do you have an idea of whether you would rather go to Nova or Barry?

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:42 am
by Stonewall
With your numbers I'd hold out for lsu or tulane, otherwise I would not attend those LSs

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:54 am
by daburrel
rman1201 wrote:Do you have an idea of whether you would rather go to Nova or Barry?


Barry as of now, haven't applied to Nova but if I was accepted into both.....idk.

Anyone can answer my questions? I am not looking to pay full tuition at either school, I am look for ways to negotiate, I am fine going to a TTT or TTTT but I want to get as much free aid as possible now....anyone can answer original question?

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:14 pm
by EricBerry
Go to LSU. Choosing one of those TTTT Florida schools over LSU in-state would be the worst, most ill-advised decision you could possibly make. Why on Earth would you do that?

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:22 pm
by daburrel
Well I would only do it if I can get the same tuition, which is why I am trying to negotiate aid. I wouldn't mind LSU but I need to be accepted first plus I like Miami area and that is where I plan to move after Law School (wherever I went anyway) so I thought why not move there now.

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:22 pm
by Aqualibrium
ORIGINAL QUESTION wrote:Is my acceptance to Loyola good enough to negotiate anything at St. Thomas or Barry?


ANSWER: Probably not. They aren't in the same area, generally aren't competing for the same students, and generally don't have students competing for the same jobs. Simply put, they aren't peer schools. The only thing they have in common is that they are on the bottom rungs of the USNews hierarchy.

All that said, it certainly never hurts to try. It may not work, but you'll never know if it would have if you don't try. I don't think you needed to come here and ask a question to find that out...

If you are going to do it, do it asap, and email admissions to find out who you should talk to about it.

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:31 pm
by daburrel
Aqualibrium wrote:
ORIGINAL QUESTION wrote:Is my acceptance to Loyola good enough to negotiate anything at St. Thomas or Barry?


ANSWER: Probably not. They aren't in the same area, generally aren't competing for the same students, and generally don't have students competing for the same jobs. Simply put, they aren't peer schools. The only thing they have in common is that they are on the bottom rungs of the USNews hierarchy.

All that said, it certainly never hurts to try. It may not work, but you'll never know if it would have if you don't try. I don't think you needed to come here and ask a question to find that out...


I wasn't sure if Loyola (I think TTT) was leverage at St. Thomas (I think TTTT), I don't see why its a big deal to find out information I didn't know. I know they are not "peer schools" in same area but being that I am a New Orleans resident, Loyola would be an easy choice for me, so me paying sticker there is cheaper cause COL won't be an issue. If St. Thomas want me to enroll, I was thinking that fact should be a bargaining chip.

I am sure LSU would be one being that they are T2, especially Tulane (T1) but I thought Loyola being TTT would be enough to leverage at other TTTT schools, even though Loyola didn't give me anything.

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:39 pm
by Aqualibrium
daburrel wrote:
I wasn't sure if Loyola (I think TTT) was leverage at St. Thomas (I think TTTT), I don't see why its a big deal to find out information I didn't know. I know they are not "peer schools" in same area but being that I am a New Orleans resident, Loyola would be an easy choice for me, so me paying sticker there is cheaper cause COL won't be an issue. If St. Thomas want me to enroll, I was thinking that fact should be a bargaining chip.

I am sure LSU would be one being that they are T2, especially Tulane (T1) but I thought Loyola being TTT would be enough to leverage at other TTTT schools, even though Loyola didn't give me anything.


I didn't say it was a big deal that you asked. I said it never hurts to try, and you probably already know that.

Loyola is probably not going to be leverage at any of those schools. Even if you got into a school that had enough clout to potentially help you out, I just don't think that schools that offer tons of small scholarships, and have notoriously low curves are the types of places that care enough to negotiate a scholarship with you.

Just one man's opinion though, and like I said before, it never hurts to try.

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:41 pm
by daburrel
Oh okay, I get your point. I will try to see how it goes out. I do fully understand your point though, and yeah I will just try and see how it goes. Thanks