Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby daburrel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 pm

Okay, I have the following situation (below) and the following question: Do I have ability to negotiate and how soon should I begin?

St. Thomas (Florida) - Accepted w/ 10,000yr
Florida Coastal - Accepted w/ 10,000yr
Barry University - Accepted w/ 9,000yr
Loyola (New Orleans) - Accepted (not sure if I got even a DIME but I believe NOTHING)

I still have pending applications out at Stetson, Tulane, LSU, Mercer and Miami. Each of the remaining schools are a for sure bargaining chip on the schools listed above with just accepted (I would like to THINK).

However, I am wondering if my acceptance to Loyola is good enough to negotiate anything at St. Thomas or Barry (#1 and #3 choices, Loyola is #2)? If its good enough, how should I go about it and how soon should I start or should I wait to hear from remaining schools? Also, who do I email when looking to negotiate.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:18 pm

IBTposts telling him not to go to the TTT and TTTT schools and retake/reapply.

HowdyYall
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby HowdyYall » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 pm

tag

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby beachbum » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Have you applied to Nova?

daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby daburrel » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:52 pm

no I haven't. I wanted to apply to FAMU also but 3 LOR won't work for me.....everyone needed 2 and being this late and I only have 2 (even though I can get a 3rd) I just think it's kinda late to go through that process.

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby EricBerry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:32 am

I see on your profile that you're a minority. Are you considered a URM? If so, you have a slight chance at LSU, especially as a resident of LA. You shouldn't consider the others unless you get a substantial scholarship from Loyola.

daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby daburrel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 am

Yeah that's why I am trying to start the process to negotiate aid. I wouldn't like to attend LSU but an acceptance should help me bargain with other schools for sure (fingers crossed). Anyone have any idea on answers to my questions?

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:39 am

Do you have an idea of whether you would rather go to Nova or Barry?

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby Stonewall » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:42 am

With your numbers I'd hold out for lsu or tulane, otherwise I would not attend those LSs

daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby daburrel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:54 am

rman1201 wrote:Do you have an idea of whether you would rather go to Nova or Barry?


Barry as of now, haven't applied to Nova but if I was accepted into both.....idk.

Anyone can answer my questions? I am not looking to pay full tuition at either school, I am look for ways to negotiate, I am fine going to a TTT or TTTT but I want to get as much free aid as possible now....anyone can answer original question?

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby EricBerry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:14 pm

Go to LSU. Choosing one of those TTTT Florida schools over LSU in-state would be the worst, most ill-advised decision you could possibly make. Why on Earth would you do that?

daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby daburrel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Well I would only do it if I can get the same tuition, which is why I am trying to negotiate aid. I wouldn't mind LSU but I need to be accepted first plus I like Miami area and that is where I plan to move after Law School (wherever I went anyway) so I thought why not move there now.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:22 pm

ORIGINAL QUESTION wrote:Is my acceptance to Loyola good enough to negotiate anything at St. Thomas or Barry?


ANSWER: Probably not. They aren't in the same area, generally aren't competing for the same students, and generally don't have students competing for the same jobs. Simply put, they aren't peer schools. The only thing they have in common is that they are on the bottom rungs of the USNews hierarchy.

All that said, it certainly never hurts to try. It may not work, but you'll never know if it would have if you don't try. I don't think you needed to come here and ask a question to find that out...

If you are going to do it, do it asap, and email admissions to find out who you should talk to about it.

daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby daburrel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
ORIGINAL QUESTION wrote:Is my acceptance to Loyola good enough to negotiate anything at St. Thomas or Barry?


ANSWER: Probably not. They aren't in the same area, generally aren't competing for the same students, and generally don't have students competing for the same jobs. Simply put, they aren't peer schools. The only thing they have in common is that they are on the bottom rungs of the USNews hierarchy.

All that said, it certainly never hurts to try. It may not work, but you'll never know if it would have if you don't try. I don't think you needed to come here and ask a question to find that out...


I wasn't sure if Loyola (I think TTT) was leverage at St. Thomas (I think TTTT), I don't see why its a big deal to find out information I didn't know. I know they are not "peer schools" in same area but being that I am a New Orleans resident, Loyola would be an easy choice for me, so me paying sticker there is cheaper cause COL won't be an issue. If St. Thomas want me to enroll, I was thinking that fact should be a bargaining chip.

I am sure LSU would be one being that they are T2, especially Tulane (T1) but I thought Loyola being TTT would be enough to leverage at other TTTT schools, even though Loyola didn't give me anything.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:39 pm

daburrel wrote:
I wasn't sure if Loyola (I think TTT) was leverage at St. Thomas (I think TTTT), I don't see why its a big deal to find out information I didn't know. I know they are not "peer schools" in same area but being that I am a New Orleans resident, Loyola would be an easy choice for me, so me paying sticker there is cheaper cause COL won't be an issue. If St. Thomas want me to enroll, I was thinking that fact should be a bargaining chip.

I am sure LSU would be one being that they are T2, especially Tulane (T1) but I thought Loyola being TTT would be enough to leverage at other TTTT schools, even though Loyola didn't give me anything.


I didn't say it was a big deal that you asked. I said it never hurts to try, and you probably already know that.

Loyola is probably not going to be leverage at any of those schools. Even if you got into a school that had enough clout to potentially help you out, I just don't think that schools that offer tons of small scholarships, and have notoriously low curves are the types of places that care enough to negotiate a scholarship with you.

Just one man's opinion though, and like I said before, it never hurts to try.

daburrel
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:58 am

Re: Negotiating Money.....Interesting Situation

Postby daburrel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:41 pm

Oh okay, I get your point. I will try to see how it goes out. I do fully understand your point though, and yeah I will just try and see how it goes. Thanks




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], echonov, Houzy, laqueredup, splitterfromhell and 6 guests