Disciplinary Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sgtpeppernyc

Disciplinary Question

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:57 pm

I have recently been accepted to a T50 law school, and have to send in a Dean's Certification. During my senior year, I had a meeting with residential staff regarding an alcohol incident, but was never brought under disciplinary action (while the incident is recorded on my record, it specifically has that I was not brought under disciplinary action).

Will this manifest itself as a problem? If so, any thoughts as to how I should approach the situation?

StillHerexxx

Re: Disciplinary Question

Postby StillHerexxx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:08 pm

Most likely not, just fully divulge the issue to every school so you don't lie to them. If you search around the forum you will see that a large percentage of people here have similar alcohol related issues in college. Thats what happens in college and law schools forgive you.

Sgtpeppernyc

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:11 pm

BUT issue is that i've already been accepted (so, this wasn't in my addendum).

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 pm

I guess whether or not you mentioned it is a problem (or not) depending on how the question was phrased on their application.

Sgtpeppernyc

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:36 pm

"Have you ever been the subject of any disciplinary action by any college or university."

javancho

Postby javancho » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 pm

"I had a meeting with residential staff regarding an alcohol incident, but was never brought under disciplinary action (while the incident is recorded on my record, it specifically has that I was not brought under disciplinary action)."

To me, that sounds to me like a warning or a reprimand, and those are disciplinary actions.

Contact your Dean and see what he/she thinks. After all, he/she will be submitting the Dean's Certification.

I think that incident should have been disclosed.

Sgtpeppernyc

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Well, in this case - If i were to email the school explaining the situation, do you think it would at all help my case?

javancho

Postby javancho » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Sgtpeppernyc wrote:Well, in this case - If i were to email the school explaining the situation, do you think it would at all help my case?

First, figure out what this incident really is. Contact the residential staff and inquire about the incident. Was this meeting a disciplinary action? If not, why is it on your record? More importantly, you should also contact your Dean and ask him/her these questions:

1- Are you the Dean that handles Dean's Certifications?

2- If so, have I ever been the subject of any disciplinary action by your college or university?

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Sgtpeppernyc wrote:"Have you ever been the subject of any disciplinary action by any college or university."

Yeah, to me it sounds like something you definitely should have disclosed if there was any documentation of it at all.

I would follow javancho's advice, find out specifically what is on your "record."

Sgtpeppernyc

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:23 pm

I actually already looked into it - for my college, any time that you are involved in an incident (even a 200+ person party), no matter what the outcome, it goes on the record with a general report of what the RA saw.

In the record, it has a report of the party and note that i was there. However - the template that the records are kept on has a "disciplinary action" column (where the disciplinary action taken would be noted), and it is blank for the incident.

Sgtpeppernyc

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 pm

Also - it should be noted that the entry doesn't make mention of the meeting - it just has the date, a report of the incident, and a blank "disciplinary action" column.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:29 pm

I think you should definitely contact your UG dean before emailing the LS.... For all you know, the dean my share your thought process... no disciplinary action = no disciplinary action.

If, however, after speaking with the Dean, your initial understanding of the situation was incorrect then sending an email to the LS explaining may be the best remedy.

Sgtpeppernyc

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:29 am

Hey All,

Thanks for the advice! Just got in touch with admissions at one of my safeties, who told me that it shouldn't be a problem - just write them a letter explaining the situation, and they'll note it in my file to ensure there are no issues with C&F.

Fingers crossed at my first choice...thanks again!

Sgtpeppernyc

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:27 pm

aaaaand same thing for my first choice - both women said that for a minor drinking incident, there should not be an issue - it's better to be forthcoming than to wait for them to find out, not to mention any C&F issue that may arise as a result.

I'll re-post if any issue arises. For you deviants who find yourself in the same situation and freak out at 2 in the morning because you don't know what to do - I hope for both of our sakes that this is the last post :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”