How young is too young?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MrPapagiorgio

Re: How young is too young?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:34 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
JKill01 wrote:I'm glad this thread wasn't as disturbing as its title indicated. :)

I'm not. I was all excited...

+1.

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:29 pm

8ballistic wrote:I think a year getting kicked in the teeth by the real world will make you work harder in law school. I certainly would be doing worse without WE.

But if you already have a very strong work ethic, it's probably fine to go to school right away.

Youre telling me.

It'd be Knight and Day for me [/TC] :lol:

Pizon

Postby Pizon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:44 pm

8ballistic wrote:I think a year getting kicked in the teeth by the real world will make you work harder in law school. I certainly would be doing worse without WE.

But if you already have a very strong work ethic, it's probably fine to go to school right away.

This is interesting.

From what I've seen, the law students who are straight out of college are more paranoid about studying/exams. The folks with "real world" experience are more laid back, because they know there's more to life than what some jaded professor thinks about your issue-spotting skillz.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Pizon wrote:

This is interesting.

From what I've seen, the law students who are straight out of college are more paranoid about studying/exams. The folks with "real world" experience are more laid back, because they know there's more to life than what some jaded professor thinks about your issue-spotting skillz.

This is interesting.

You forgot to add that these folks with "real world" experience think that they are better/know more than the professor.

Although I do grant you that many young kids straight from undergrad feel that same way.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:12 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:This is interesting.

You forgot to add that these folks with "real world" experience think that they are better/know more than the professor.

Although I do grant you that many young kids straight from undergrad feel that same way.

I take classes with a mix of executive and straight out of UG students in a grad program. The straight out of UG students are the ones having an input on every single thing and disagreeing with the professor.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:This is interesting.

I take classes with a mix of executive and straight out of UG students in a grad program. The straight out of UG students are the ones having an input on every single thing and disagreeing with the professor.

I think that is because the kids from undergrad were taught that you need to participate and have an opinion on everything for your professor to like you. Experienced students understand that sometimes, less is more. Shit, I'm not experienced and I know that. :wink:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:32 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:I think that is because the kids from undergrad were taught that you need to participate and have an opinion on everything for your professor to like you. Experienced students understand that sometimes, less is more. Shit, I'm not experienced and I know that. :wink:

One of them is a gunner too. The professor would say "can someone not named ... please respond", guess who speaks up without being called?

I suspect most of us professional students actually do better on assignments and get better grades. We do participate, but only when appropriate and when we have something substantive to add. The younger crow do it just to do it. I think having a 2 minute conversation with the professor after class does more than answering every question in class.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”