Deleting a TLS Account

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tipler4213

Deleting a TLS Account

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:14 pm

Hi All:
I am curious if it is possible to completely delete your TLS account and old posts ala Facebook, and if so, how. I checked on the profile options and did not see how. Why on earth would one ever consider such a thing, one might ask. I'll tell you why: I made this account as a freshman in college before I understood the importance of minimizing your "internet footprint." It would be relatively simple for people to determine who I am via my account. As my career interests have changed, I have realized it would be best to eliminate all the "dirt" on myself I can.

I have not posted anything inappropriate, crude, or offensive, and none of my posts reveal anything that could be very embarrassing for me publically ("oh no! People know my LSAT scores!"). So, it is not a huge deal if it can't be done, but I feel it should be an option for those who may wish to do so.

Is this possible? If so, how?

If not, may I recommend to Ken or the moderators that this become an option.

northwood

Re: Deleting a TLS Account

Postby northwood » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:17 pm

ask a moderator

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:17 pm

Just giving this a well deserved bump.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:02 pm

If you did it, we can find it.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:19 pm

Couldn't you go back and edit (delete) any of your previous posts where you've outted yourself? This is assuming that someone else didn't quote those posts.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:58 pm

cinephile wrote:Couldn't you go back and edit (delete) any of your previous posts where you've outted yourself? This is assuming that someone else didn't quote those posts.

Possibly, but I think there are situations where people would prefer to delete it all. Username and everything. I understand their are probably some technical complexities involved, but many sites do offer the feature. On Facebook, for example, I am pretty sure they have 2 delete options (1 recoverable and one where you're gone forever).

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:00 pm

TLSofficial wrote:Related information:
We do not delete, close, deactivate, eliminate, or otherwise purge a user's TLS account at the request of a user. This means that we will not delete your posts or delete/edit other people's posts that quote or reference your posts just because you want us to/are convinced that the powers that be are out to get you.

While it is unfortunate that "the rest of [a user's] life may be ruined" or that a user's "law school might find out about [the user's] posts," it is also unfortunate that the user chose to make those posts in the first place.

Looks like no.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:04 pm

You cannot delete your account.

/thread

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”