Have fee waiver. How many schools should I apply to?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aguaman13

Have fee waiver. How many schools should I apply to?

Postby aguaman13 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:26 am

I received an LSAC fee waiver and have already submitted a few apps, and will definitely submit more. However, I've noticed that some schools ask which schools I am applying to. Why do they ask? Do I need to submit addendum if that is the only way to provide a complete list?

AboveTheLawSchool

Re: Have fee waiver. How many schools should I apply to?

Postby AboveTheLawSchool » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:31 am

You still have to pay $12 dollars per app I believe... just apply to every school you could honestly see yourself attending / paying for that you have a realistic chance of getting in to with your numbers. Also, you are applying very late in the cycle, so take that into consideration.

And to answer your other question, no, you do not need to send in an addendum. For most schools including the other schools you applied to is optional, and most apps state that such information is not used for admission purposes anyways.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:32 am

most prelaw advisors/admissions committees would probably tell you that apps after mid january are late, and a lot of the entering class will be filled by that time. If you have fee waivers, use them, but submitting apps in february without 99th percentile stats is sure to be worse than submitting early.

If possible, consider retaking lsat and waiting a cycle.

dai

Postby dai » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:33 am

Yes, you do have to pay $12 for the report fee, but you get the first 4 reports for free.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:36 am

How many schools are you applying to? I'm assuming it is a large amount since you're using an addendum. I would advise against listing all the schools.

I think they ask partly for their statistics, but I would think it would also look bad if you let a school know that you are applying to a wide variety of schools. The more schools listed, the less likely you would accept an admittance offer from said school.

The question isn't mandatory, so I would limit the list to 1 or 2 schools.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 am

dai wrote:Yes, you do have to pay $12 for the report fee, but you get the first 4 reports for free.

This is false.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:16 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
dai wrote:Yes, you do have to pay $12 for the report fee, but you get the first 4 reports for free.

This is false.

No it's not. I received a LSAC fee waiver and the first four reports were free. After that it's $12 per report.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 pm

I don't remember my first four apps having the 12 dollars waived, but I didn't really pay attention. As to your question, it is extremely late to apply, but since you have the waivers, you might as well apply if you have a shot. You won't have a great shot of getting in though.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:50 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:I don't remember my first four apps having the 12 dollars waived, but I didn't really pay attention. As to your question, it is extremely late to apply, but since you have the waivers, you might as well apply if you have a shot. You won't have a great shot of getting in though.

Though this is the generally accepted advice on here, it really depends on the school. There are many people who've applied late and gotten into where they were supposed to and rejected from where they would have predicted to get rejected from. No one really knows just how statistically your chances are affected, so I say go ahead and apply like a mad man to everywhere you might wanna go to.

dai

Postby dai » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:12 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:

This is false.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/fee-waivers.asp

3rd bullet point.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”