Reapplying

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschool12345

Reapplying

Postby lawschool12345 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:42 pm

There is probably another thread like this out here, but ive already applied to schools, but am retaking the lsat in June to try and bring up my score (3.7, 158)

I will write a new personal statement if i am applying to any of the same schools, but should i try and get different lors as well?
Thank you

StillHerexxx

Re: Reapplying

Postby StillHerexxx » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:48 pm

If your LORs were rushed or you can get better ones it might be useful to get new ones. I wouldn't be too worried about it though.

leapincamelleopard

Postby leapincamelleopard » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:51 pm

I just went through this process (applied for Fall 10, reapplied for Fall 11). It depends on the school but most of the schools I spoke to said using the same LORs was ok as long as they were not too old. Some schools did ask for additional letters if possible and I got one extra LOR which I submitted in some cases but for the most part I just reused the old ones. Something to be aware of is that schools will dig up your application from the previous cycle and have that information available to them so anything you can give them to show that you've changed/grown is good. Your best bet is to email the admissions offices and ask them what they want.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:59 pm

i only have two on record, so would you recommend getting a third one then and then sending the 3 instead, i know the two i have are really good, one professor i had 3 times and got a's every semester and the other i took him twice as well as went to spain and helped him with his research

leapincamelleopard

Postby leapincamelleopard » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:04 pm

If those two are really good, I wouldn't worry about it too much. That said, if there is a third letter writer out there, it wouldn't hurt to have a bit of fresh information for schools to look at. I reapplied to 5 schools and for three of them I just sent the same 2 letters over again, the other two said they would appreciate new information (they didn't say it was mandatory) so I sent them an additional letter. For the record, I have only heard back from one of the five schools (accepted with scholarship- previously rejected).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:12 am

leapincamelleopard wrote:I just went through this process (applied for Fall 10, reapplied for Fall 11). It depends on the school but most of the schools I spoke to said using the same LORs was ok as long as they were not too old. Some schools did ask for additional letters if possible and I got one extra LOR which I submitted in some cases but for the most part I just reused the old ones. Something to be aware of is that schools will dig up your application from the previous cycle and have that information available to them so anything you can give them to show that you've changed/grown is good. Your best bet is to email the admissions offices and ask them what they want.

I don't know how much truth is there to this if your numbers are good enough. I sent in pretty much the same application as my last year's with the same LORs to the lower ranked schools and so far better results. I didn't retake, I just applied earlier.

I did put in brand new applications with new LORs to my reach schools, no success so far. Seems to agree with the notion that numbers are primary factors, so far.

I would encourage OP to get new LORs, even from the same professor if you continue to take classes with them. If they know you a year better, they will write better letters.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:58 am

thanks for the advice, i am graduating in may and have not taken any classes with either professors since the time they wrote me the lors

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”