Effects of a Class C Misdemeanor Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Übermensch

New

Effects of a Class C Misdemeanor

Post by Übermensch » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:27 pm

How much will a Class C Misdemeanor for attempting to purchase alcohol as a minor hurt chances of admission to T-14 schools? The resulting fine was paid and the community service completed.

Is an addendum necessary? Will getting it expunged help? I think it still has to be disclosed, but it may mitigate its effects.

CrimLaw300

Bronze

Re: Effects of a Class C Misdemeanor

Post by CrimLaw300 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Übermensch wrote:How much will a Class C Misdemeanor for attempting to purchase alcohol as a minor hurt chances of admission to T-14 schools? The resulting fine was paid and the community service completed.

Is an addendum necessary? Will getting it expunged help? I think it still has to be disclosed, but it may mitigate its effects.
It shouldn't hurt you at all. A short addendum will suffice. I am not sure if getting it expunged will help because you have to disclose it either way.

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Shouldn't hurt too much. Getting it expunged won't stop you from having to disclose, but you would get to say that you had it expunged. But I don't think that would help much at all.

helloperson

Bronze

Post by helloperson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:03 am

Different schools ask different questions. Was the result a conviction? Or were you in some pretrial program?

If you were not convicted, and the school asks only about convictions, then you don't need to disclose it.

Übermensch

New

Post by Übermensch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:26 pm

helloperson wrote:Different schools ask different questions. Was the result a conviction? Or were you in some pretrial program?

If you were not convicted, and the school asks only about convictions, then you don't need to disclose it.
Is pleading "no contest" a conviction?

joebloe

Bronze

Post by joebloe » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Übermensch wrote:
helloperson wrote:Different schools ask different questions. Was the result a conviction? Or were you in some pretrial program?

Is pleading "no contest" a conviction?
A plea is something the defendant does. A conviction is something the court does.

But it is my non-lawyer understanding that a Nolo plea has similar effects to a guilty plea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”