Legacy

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crit_racer

Silver

Legacy

Postby crit_racer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:06 am

So, the one school I applied to that DOESN'T ask if you are a legacy (UT) is the one school where I am a legacy. My dad went there for law school and donated a little bit of cash (very little i think haha), but their app didn't have a place to mark whether or not you are a legacy.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to write a letter notifying them or a waste of time? I don't want to sound entitled or spoiled or anything like that, but UT is my #1 choice and I want to increase my odds of getting in (I'm borderline here). Maybe they don't put a space for it on the app b/c they don't care...I donno. What do y'all think?

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Legacy

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:10 am

crit_racer wrote:So, the one school I applied to that DOESN'T ask if you are a legacy (UT) is the one school where I am a legacy. My dad went there for law school and donated a little bit of cash (very little i think haha), but their app didn't have a place to mark whether or not you are a legacy.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to write a letter notifying them or a waste of time? I don't want to sound entitled or spoiled or anything like that, but UT is my #1 choice and I want to increase my odds of getting in (I'm borderline here). Maybe they don't put a space for it on the app b/c they don't care...I donno. What do y'all think?

Being a legacy is unlikely to get you in on its own unless your relative is a large donor, but it can be a soft factor. Your numbers are the key. Sounds like you already know this though.

Did you write a "Why UT?" essay? I feel like that would be one way to slip in a harmless way.

luckyme

Bronze

Postby luckyme » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:13 am

romothesavior wrote:
crit_racer wrote:So, the one school I applied to that DOESN'T ask if you are a legacy (UT) is the one school where I am a legacy. My dad went there for law school and donated a little bit of cash (very little i think haha), but their app didn't have a place to mark whether or not you are a legacy.

Being a legacy is unlikely to get you in on its own unless your relative is a large donor, but it can be a soft factor. Your numbers are the key. Sounds like you already know this though.

Did you write a "Why UT?" essay? I feel like that would be one way to slip in a harmless way.

+1

crit_racer

Silver

Postby crit_racer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:16 am

No, I didn't write a UT essay. I realize I should have, though. Maybe I could incorporate the legacy tid-bit along with some why UT points into a single e-mail or something? I'm a splitter for UT (above 75th LSAT, below 25th GPA), in state, and LSP gives me a "consider." I really could use any extra little boost...

Do you think writing an e-mail expressing my desire to go to UT and also notifying them of my legacy status would help? I submitted mid January and got my status checker e-mail end of last week, so I don't think they have started reviewing my file yet.

romothesavior

Diamond

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:20 am

crit_racer wrote:No, I didn't write a UT essay. I realize I should have, though. Maybe I could incorporate the legacy tid-bit along with some why UT points into a single e-mail or something? I'm a splitter for UT (above 75th LSAT, below 25th GPA), in state, and LSP gives me a "consider." I really could use any extra little boost...

When did you apply? What are your numbers? Have you been waitlisted, or are you still waiting on a decision?

If they didn't ask, then it is unlikely they care all that much. I think private schools are more into legacies than public schools, but it is something you could work into a LOCI for why you want to go (if you end up getting waitlisted).

crit_racer

Silver

Postby crit_racer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:25 am

romothesavior wrote:
crit_racer wrote:No, I didn't write a UT essay. I realize I should have, though. Maybe I could incorporate the legacy tid-bit along with some why UT points into a single e-mail or something? I'm a splitter for UT (above 75th LSAT, below 25th GPA), in state, and LSP gives me a "consider." I really could use any extra little boost...

When did you apply? What are your numbers? Have you been waitlisted, or are you still waiting on a decision?

If they didn't ask, then it is unlikely they care all that much. I think private schools are more into legacies than public schools, but it is something you could work into a LOCI for why you want to go (if you end up getting waitlisted).

3.32/169

Submitted 1/15. Got my status checker (which I think is the same thing as going "complete" at UT) last week. No decision yet, probably won't get reviewed for another week or two at least.

joebloe

Bronze

Postby joebloe » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:51 am

Should you get WL'd, slip it in through your LOCI.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�