Law School apps are down... what does it mean?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dabbadon8

Re: Law School apps are down... what does it mean?

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Got an email from iowa just now saying they are extending their deadline for apps.

"The Office of Admissions has decided to extend the application deadline to April 1, 2011. The original deadline for application was March 1. However, we want to give law school prospects who take the February Law School Admission Test enough time to submit applications for admission, if desired. Also, there may be some individuals who have decided, late in the admission cycle, to consider attending law school. So, the College of Law has decided to extend the application deadline to April 1. Hopefully, the extra time will assist individuals in filing applications for admission."

Maybe a result of less applicants?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:13 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Got an email from iowa just now saying they are extending their deadline for apps.

"The Office of Admissions has decided to extend the application deadline to April 1, 2011. The original deadline for application was March 1. However, we want to give law school prospects who take the February Law School Admission Test enough time to submit applications for admission, if desired. Also, there may be some individuals who have decided, late in the admission cycle, to consider attending law school. So, the College of Law has decided to extend the application deadline to April 1. Hopefully, the extra time will assist individuals in filing applications for admission."

That is a great sign that it could be a precipitous drop rather than a "softening."

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:14 pm

hndls022 wrote:
duckmoney wrote:So since the total number of applications are down this year, what is it mean -especially at the top schools? Will medians have to go down from last year's absurd levels, and will schools be generally less competitive? Or is it just as difficult as ever to get into / get money from the T-14?

It means less people are applying to law school.

This made me LOL

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:15 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Got an email from iowa just now saying they are extending their deadline for apps.

Too hard to say, but it can only mean good things--- :-)

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:59 pm

helloperson wrote:Well, you're still wrong, and your insults are somehow worse than your logical reasoning skills.

my higher LSAT score says otherwise

and...

helloperson wrote:You didn't really address any of my arguments

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:55 pm

jeremysen wrote:
helloperson wrote:Well, you're still wrong, and your insults are somehow worse than your logical reasoning skills.

my higher LSAT score says otherwise

My statement is now ironically true...

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:21 pm

jeremysen wrote:my higher LSAT score says otherwise

cool story.

anyway, cornell sent me a fee waiver and a note saying they were extending their deadline for people eligible for merit fee waivers. i understand a lot of people got them, others mentioned it here. could be a scam to get more people to apply and then reject them to boost their stats, but applications could be down there as well. so perhaps t14 is hit by this as well.

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Lol duders here's some irony

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:20 pm

jeremysen wrote:Lol duders here's some irony

Please stop talking. I hate reading your posts. I hate your thought process. The idea of you having a thought upsets me because your posts lead me to believe that most of your thoughts are unoriginally self-honoring.

So. Law school apps are down.

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:27 pm

robotclubmember wrote:Please stop talking. I hate reading your posts. I hate your thought process. The idea of you having a thought upsets me because your posts lead me to believe that most of your thoughts are unoriginally self-honoring.

So. Law school apps are down.

aww baby, for some time now, I thought we've been hitting it off

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:55 pm

They did this last year as well when their apps were up 60%. I think they're gunning for better applicants rather than needing more applicants.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:06 pm

adonai wrote:

They did this last year as well when their apps were up 60%. I think they're gunning for better applicants rather than needing more applicants.

Yeah even if they had 1000% rise in applicants, it only looks better for them if they boost their selectivity rating even more.

Kswizzie

Postby Kswizzie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:11 pm

just got a NW fee waiver w/ no work experience... it was cute

robotclubmember

Postby robotclubmember » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Kswizzie wrote:just got a NW fee waiver w/ no work experience... it was cute

What is the logic to these fee waivers!? I have a few years of WE in consulting and better stats but I had to pay their ridiculously high app fee!

Yes I'm jealz, lol.

usd0L

Postby usd0L » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:30 pm

I too have heard from multiple sources that applications are down at least in the 2nd and 3rd tier. A 2L at U SoDak said he has spoken with admissions folks while at a moot court competition who said their application numbers are down at least 10 percent from last year. They also said apps were down at all of the other schools they are in contact with. I don't know how far this extends up, however (like to the T10/20/30).

Moreover, I got an email out of the blue from Baylor which waived their application fee and extended their deadline for their summer session, which perhaps is emblematic of lower application levels. Since the summer session is rapidly approaching, they may be well below their preferred levels of applications.

Finally, I received an email from Tulane waiving their application fee "on the basis of my credentials." However, my numbers aren't exactly "Tulane material" (159/3.7) so I was surprised to get that email. I know their UG admissions were down 13 percent this year, though I doubt anything can be properly inferred from that.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 am

I spoke to an admissions officer at MVP recently who said that apps there were down quite a bit too, around 10-12%, but they expected to keep or raise their medians from last year. I'm really not sure how that's going to be possible...

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:29 am

duckmoney wrote:I spoke to an admissions officer at MVP recently who said that apps there were down quite a bit too, around 10-12%, but they expected to keep or raise their medians from last year. I'm really not sure how that's going to be possible...

Raise medians when apps are down 10%? :shock: :shock: :shock:

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:32 am

FiveSermon wrote:
duckmoney wrote:I spoke to an admissions officer at MVP recently who said that apps there were down quite a bit too, around 10-12%, but they expected to keep or raise their medians from last year. I'm really not sure how that's going to be possible...

They're prob doing it by WL-ing candidates they like but have too low of an LSAT. I read somewhere that if they accept you off of the WL your stats don't count in US NEWS rankings (please let me know if you know this is not true, I believe I read it somewhere).

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:34 am

DeeCee wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

They're prob doing it by WL-ing candidates they like but have too low of an LSAT. I read somewhere that if they accept you off of the WL your stats don't count in US NEWS rankings (please let me know if you know this is not true, I believe I read it somewhere).

Very underhanded but clever move.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:16 am

what does it mean? one would hope that few ppl would be rushing into this languid profession. but it will probably not mean anything since there will also be the group of ppl that are not accepted anywhere. I suspect all classes will still be filled.....which means that this probably won't help anything at all...

rose711

Postby rose711 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:18 am

Can I ask if anyone thinks the terrible weather in December making it difficult to get to testing centers might have skewed the number of LSAT takers for that month?

Malcolm8X

Postby Malcolm8X » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:46 am

DeeCee wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

This CANNOT POSSIBLY be true IMO. You'd hear a lot of short term WLs reported followed by subsequent offers, and all schools would indiscriminately practice this to boost their rankings.

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:13 am

Are applications AND applicants down? Or just applications?

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:52 am

Malcolm8X wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

This CANNOT POSSIBLY be true IMO. You'd hear a lot of short term WLs reported followed by subsequent offers, and all schools would indiscriminately practice this to boost their rankings.

Agreed. This explains why US News admissions data (like LSAT and GPA) are always lagged a year, so they have plenty of time to finalize the class.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:52 am

adonai wrote:Are applications AND applicants down? Or just applications?

Both I believe. I think applications per applicant has actually been increasing over time.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”