Signing up for CAS early?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ialdabaoth

Signing up for CAS early?

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:54 pm

I've searched for this on the CAS page, but can I go ahead and register now for next cycle? I have a lot of time on my hands this semester and would like to get everything done before next fall semester when I'll be applying. Thanks!

MrPapagiorgio

Re: Signing up for CAS early?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:00 pm

No. You'll be giving LSAC plenty of your money in the fall. No need to give them more right now. I registered for CAS about 2 weeks before I applied. Don't worry about it.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:04 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:No. You'll be giving LSAC plenty of your money in the fall. No need to give them more right now. I registered for CAS about 2 weeks before I applied. Don't worry about it.

Haha, So can I go ahead and send in transcripts, letters, and whatnot without registering/paying? For what it's worth, I've already taken the LSAT and will most likely not be retaking (although I probably should), so I don't have that to pay for anymore haha.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:06 pm

You might as well go ahead if you're planning on applying within the next 5 years (which is sounds like are planning on applying in Fall) because you will need it to send in your transcripts/LORs.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:No. You'll be giving LSAC plenty of your money in the fall. No need to give them more right now. I registered for CAS about 2 weeks before I applied. Don't worry about it.

Haha, So can I go ahead and send in transcripts, letters, and whatnot without registering/paying? For what it's worth, I've already taken the LSAT and will most likely not be retaking (although I probably should), so I don't have that to pay for anymore haha.

No, in order for LSAC to compile your file, you need to pay for CAS (hence why its called the credential assembly service). If you want to get on your grind and send that stuff in this early, go for it. Just understand that it is ridiculously early to do so for next cycle. But hell, I wish I had your motivation because I procrastinated like crazy.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:13 pm

Why not? Your account stays active for 5 years. I don't see any reason not to pay for it now, particularly if you want to get your stuff in early.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:15 pm

CAS is good for (I think) 5 years... I would get your transcript in after this semester is done ASAP, as it will help get you fee waivers from schools...

When you sign up, you include what kind of GPA you have (3.3-3.7, 3.7-4.0, etc.), and while most schools accept this when giving out fee waivers, from what I understand, there are schools that don't (aka will only look at GPAs that are from transcripts). For example, I didn't have my transcript into LSAC when UChicago sent out their first wave of fee waivers, and I didn't get one. Many others with similar numbers to me did, and from what I remember they had their transcripts in. I ended up spending an extra $100 to apply to a school simply because I didn't get my stuff in early enough.

I think that should be a big incentive to sign up/get your transcript, etc. in early...

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks for the info!

I know it's ridiculously early, but I only have class one day a week this semester. I'm going to be busy during the summer and next fall, so I thought I might as well work on it now, haha.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:21 pm

The Stig wrote:CAS is good for (I think) 5 years... I would get your transcript in after this semester is done ASAP, as it will help get you fee waivers from schools...

When you sign up, you include what kind of GPA you have (3.3-3.7, 3.7-4.0, etc.), and while most schools accept this when giving out fee waivers, from what I understand, there are schools that don't (aka will only look at GPAs that are from transcripts). For example, I didn't have my transcript into LSAC when UChicago sent out their first wave of fee waivers, and I didn't get one. Many others with similar numbers to me did, and from what I remember they had their transcripts in. I ended up spending an extra $100 to apply to a school simply because I didn't get my stuff in early enough.

I think that should be a big incentive to sign up/get your transcript, etc. in early...

Thanks, Stig! I had no idea schools gave out GPA-based fee waivers--that's amazing! Maybe I won't be spending $1000+ on apps. Any idea what kind of FWs a 168, 4.0 degree, ~3.94 LSDAS would get me? I got several emails after the December test for schools as high as UCLA, but they told me those were only good for this cycle and that I would have to email them next year to see if I could get one.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:
The Stig wrote:CAS is good for (I think) 5 years... I would get your transcript in after this semester is done ASAP, as it will help get you fee waivers from schools...

Thanks, Stig! I had no idea schools gave out GPA-based fee waivers--that's amazing! Maybe I won't be spending $1000+ on apps. Any idea what kind of FWs a 168, 4.0 degree, ~3.94 LSDAS would get me? I got several emails after the December test for schools as high as UCLA, but they told me those were only good for this cycle and that I would have to email them next year to see if I could get one.

Well, they are technically "merit-based" waivers, so they are a combo of GPA & LSAT. I'm not an expert on what the schools' cutoffs are, but if I were you I would look through law school numbers to get an idea. People report them (they show up as Fs next to the school). For example: 168/3.93 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/AreJay711/jd (only indicated that he had a fee waiver to UCLA) or 169/3.96 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/texasbrownbear/jd (fee waivers to most of the T14).

In general, HYS & B don't give merit waivers, but all the rest of the T14 does (and a ton of other schools outside the T14). I know I saved ~$1000 on app fees b/c of the waivers!

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:35 pm

The Stig wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:

Well, they are technically "merit-based" waivers, so they are a combo of GPA & LSAT. I'm not an expert on what the schools' cutoffs are, but if I were you I would look through law school numbers to get an idea. People report them (they show up as Fs next to the school). For example: 168/3.93 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/AreJay711/jd (only indicated that he had a fee waiver to UCLA) or 169/3.96 http://lawschoolnumbers.com/texasbrownbear/jd (fee waivers to most of the T14).

In general, HYS & B don't give merit waivers, but all the rest of the T14 does (and a ton of other schools outside the T14). I know I saved ~$1000 on app fees b/c of the waivers!

Oh yeah, I've seen some of those on LSN before but had never thought to really search for them. Thanks for the tip! And damn, that 1 LSAT point might haunt me and make me significantly poorer next fall, haha.

ETA: Just checked out your LSN profile--congrats on your sweep!

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:13 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:
Oh yeah, I've seen some of those on LSN before but had never thought to really search for them. Thanks for the tip! And damn, that 1 LSAT point might haunt me and make me significantly poorer next fall, haha.

ETA: Just checked out your LSN profile--congrats on your sweep!

Thanks! fwiw, I've only uploaded schools to the profile I have a decision from...aka I'm still waiting on a couple!

Good luck with your future cycle! I'm sure you will rock it.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:34 pm

The Stig wrote:
Thanks! fwiw, I've only uploaded schools to the profile I have a decision from...aka I'm still waiting on a couple!

Good luck with your future cycle! I'm sure you will rock it.

Thanks! And best of luck to you as you wait on your last few!

And, woot woot, 100 posts! haha

achilles

Postby achilles » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:18 pm

I signed up for CAS in December 2009 for this cycle so it would be ready whenever my recs were. I still didn't get them sent in til September though. So basically, it was a failed motivation haha, but at least the expense was separated from my over law school expenses. I say do it now

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:27 pm

achilles wrote:I signed up for CAS in December 2009 for this cycle so it would be ready whenever my recs were. I still didn't get them sent in til September though. So basically, it was a failed motivation haha, but at least the expense was separated from my over law school expenses. I say do it now

Thanks for the response, achilles! And good point about separating costs. I just purchased, so I guess I'm really going to apply for law school in the fall, haha.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:
achilles wrote:I signed up for CAS in December 2009 for this cycle so it would be ready whenever my recs were. I still didn't get them sent in til September though. So basically, it was a failed motivation haha, but at least the expense was separated from my over law school expenses. I say do it now

Thanks for the response, achilles! And good point about separating costs. I just purchased, so I guess I'm really going to apply for law school in the fall, haha.

Also, you might already know this, but the processing time for transcripts/LORs/etc. is significantly less in the spring/summer/september than it is as the cycle moves on! Get those LORs secured early!

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:33 pm

The Stig wrote:Also, you might already know this, but the processing time for transcripts/LORs/etc. is significantly less in the spring/summer/september than it is as the cycle moves on! Get those LORs secured early!

Thanks for the tip! I'm sort of in a tough spot for getting all my LORs right now though since I'm off campus this semester and want to be able to meet in person with my recommenders. I guess if I just try to meet with all of them in early August it will work out alright. I just really want to have everything complete by the end of September. Not sure if all this is worth it though because I think my numbers put me in the waitlist range for a lot of schools. :/

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”