Timing of Application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Timing of Application

Postby dadownclub8 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Hey all. I'm not sure if there has been a topic regarding this issue, but when I searched I couldn't find something specific so I'm sorry if there has been.

I know that earlier in the cycle is more beneficial but let's say that you take the LSAT in October and your score stays the same from when you took it in June. How much is the difference if you put in your application the first day that you are able to as opposed to a bit later let's say after the results of the October LSAT come out?

Re: Timing of Application

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:34 pm

Applying soon after October scores come out is still considered pretty early in the cycle.

The problem with the October LSAT is that if you do badly, you have to retake in December, which is very late. If you get a bad score in June, you still have October to retake and still get your apps in early. It's a gamble on whether you think you'll hit your target score on the first try or need a retake.

If I could do it over again, I'd take the June test to give myself the second chance if I needed it. But I only decided to apply to law school in August, so it was already too late for June. Luckily I hit a good score on my first try in October, but plenty of people need at least two tries.

Postby Sandro » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:21 am

The whole apply day 1 or else you're screwed is funny. December isn't the best option but if you get your apps in before xmas you are fine. Varies a bit from school to school, though.

Postby drummerboy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:46 am

i had to retake in dec but i applied in advance of this and simply indicated that another lsat was coming in dec results out in jan. i had checked with admissions at stetson prior to submitting my application, in anticipation of the dec lsat. the lady said that the most important thing was that your application had to be complete in their office prior to the results of the dec lsat. this way as soon as the result comes out, they can proceed with the decision process. thats exactly what happened the lsat result was in by jan 9 and i was admitted on jan 21. had i not applied in advance, the decision would be severely delayed. hope this info helps.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”