Specific resume question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
soj

Specific resume question

Postby soj » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:26 pm

If I was temporarily promoted for several months to fill in for someone who was on leave, how do I show that I was promoted without drawing attention to the fact that I've now returned to my original position ("demoted") or misleading the reader into thinking I still hold the higher position? I don't want to take up too much space explaining because I'm already strapped for space.

I know WE isn't very important anyway, but I thought I'd ask since I might be using the resume for other applications.

JazzOne

Re: Specific resume question

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:32 pm

I would list it as one job with both job titles.

BigRetail Store, Assistant Manager and General Manager
- Managed some folks
- Sold some shit
- Temporarily promoted to General Manager

Then under the job description, you slip in the words "temporarily promoted" somewhere to explain the context. If it's slightly misleading, so be it. As long as you clarify in the small print, I think it's defensible.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:06 pm

I like the word 'interim' better than 'temporary.' I think it sounds a little more official.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks, guys. I'll list the entry as one entry with both positions and then say in the description I was promoted as Interim Manager after two years of employment.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I like the word 'interim' better than 'temporary.' I think it sounds a little more official.

TITCR

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:08 pm

Interim is definitely the winner here. It very clearly shows that you were responsible for the job duties for a period of time and that you weren't expected to fill the position permanently. That avoids the whole "Promotion/Demotion" issue. It sounds good that they trusted you enough to let you fill in as GM and doesn't sound like you somehow failed at the post.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”