Resume question - Research assistant

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Resume question - Research assistant

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:44 pm

So, forgive me if there is a well-known convention on this subject that I am unaware of. I work as a GRA at U of Etc., and some research that I've been doing for a professor is going to get published. She mentioned that I would be given a notation in the article as a research assistant. Once the article is published, is there any way to cite this in a resume? Or is that being presumptuous?

Edited for clarity.
Last edited by OnlyLivingBoyinNY on Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

champsound

Re: Resume question - Research assistant

Postby champsound » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:46 pm

OnlyLivingBoyinNY wrote:So, forgive me if there is a well-known convention on this subject that I am unaware of. I work as a GRA at U of Etc., and some research that I've been doing for a professor is going to get published. She mentioned that I would be given a notation in the article as a research assistant. Is there any way to cite this in a resume, or is that being presumptuous?

I was in a similar situation and I don't think you can include that until it actually appears in the publication, either online or in print.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:44 am

You can cite it. Submitted for publication is usually how you term it---or accepted for publication

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:57 am

I worked as an RA in undergrad, and the paper I contributed to was presented at a conference, but didn't have my name attached. I just put it under "Publications" on my resume, because it was technically published and I was involved in the research and the writing. As long as you don't say 'I presented This Paper at XYZ Conference", you should be fine.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Hey, thanks everybody for the advice. So, would I say "Contributed research to 'The History of Basket Weaving' by John Locke and James Franco," or just list the article name as a line item?

Snorre

Postby Snorre » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:50 pm

You can put the title under "publications" and just note "(forthcoming 201x in Whatever Journal/Book)" afterwards, if you'll be named one of the authors.

If it's a case of getting kudos in a footnote or introduction, I think you need a Research Assistant part on your resume that explains your contribution to the work; that's what I did in my own case, anyway.

spondee

Postby spondee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:03 pm

Don't list it under "Publications," unless your name appears as one of the authors.

If you're only receiving a shout-out - "Prof Famous wishes to thank the invaluable research assistance of John Doe" - then you might mention that your research on X was included in Prof paper Y in the part where you describe your work as an RA.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:56 pm

I had something like this on my resume as well. I listed Research Assistant under employment history. In the bullet points, I explained the type of research, what I contributed to it, and cited the resulting publication. I think this is a safe way of showing that you contributed to a published article, without implying that you're an author of this piece.

OnlyLivingBoyinNY

Postby OnlyLivingBoyinNY » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks for all the help and great ideas, everybody. I appreciate it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”