Cancel, Absence, 175+

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Übermensch
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby Übermensch » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Do admissions chances to T-14 schools, particularly HYS/CCN, decrease significantly with a cancel and an absence on your record? Couple that record with a 3.9+ GPA, 175+ LSAT score, Honors Program graduate, publications, multiple on-campus leadership positions, and a job at a law firm for four years. Technically, only one LSAT score is on the record. I understand that an addendum is probably necessary to explain this. Does anyone with a similar LSAT record have any experiences to share regarding T-14 schools?

123kl
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby 123kl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Übermensch wrote:Do admissions chances to T-14 schools, particularly HYS/CCN, decrease significantly with a cancel and an absence on your record? Couple that record with a 3.9+ GPA, 175+ LSAT score, Honors Program graduate, publications, multiple on-campus leadership positions, and a job at a law firm for four years. Technically, only one LSAT score is on the record. I understand that an addendum is probably necessary to explain this. Does anyone with a similar LSAT record have any experiences to share regarding T-14 schools?


I know someone with a 169, two absences, 175 and a 3.8. Going to Harvard.

User avatar
glitched
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 am

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby glitched » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:14 pm

i thought schools don't receive notice of absences anyway.

i really dont know though.

User avatar
lovejopd
Posts: 548
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby lovejopd » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:21 pm

glitched wrote:i thought schools don't receive notice of absences anyway.

i really dont know though.

Is it true that schools do not notice absences?...

User avatar
ntugwater
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:37 am

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby ntugwater » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:06 am

lovejopd wrote:
glitched wrote:i thought schools don't receive notice of absences anyway.

i really dont know though.

Is it true that schools do not notice absences?...

they do, but they dont care about it. sure looks better than a cancel, which still doesn't matter that much

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby Stonewall » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:12 am

Yeh I don't think those will hold you back from profiting from a t14

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby gothamm » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:24 am

Stonewall wrote:Yeh I don't think those will hold you back from profiting from a t14


more like t6

User avatar
Übermensch
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby Übermensch » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:36 pm

lovejopd wrote:
glitched wrote:i thought schools don't receive notice of absences anyway.

i really dont know though.

Is it true that schools do not notice absences?...


To my knowledge, they do.

Zatarra
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:23 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby Zatarra » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:43 pm

A cancellation should not hurt you anywhere with the possible exception of Yale (...decision pending :?... ). Can't speak directly to absences, but I've heard, anecdotally, an absence looks better than a cancellation. With one of each? It may be a slight black mark on a borderline applicant, but I highly doubt that if the rest of your application says 'admit' that alone will turn you into a 'ding.'

Good luck!

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:45 pm

When did you apply? If you haven't applied yet, apply early next cycle. You are getting in no lower than CLS, and probably have Harvard too. Y/S are the only wildcards. Enjoy. No schools gives a damn about cancels or absents. A 175+ is a 175 that helps them rake in uber prestige.

User avatar
jwrash
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby jwrash » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:58 pm

Enjoy Harvard.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby Miracle » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:13 pm

doesn't matter.

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:18 pm

jwrash wrote:Enjoy Harvard.
+1

HopefulFish
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby HopefulFish » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:01 am

No one other than Ed Tom at Berkeley gives a shit if you have 3 scores or 5 or any combination of absences and cancels.

"Competitive highest number" is all that matters.

User avatar
almightypush
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:19 am

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby almightypush » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:16 am

i got into Harvard this cycle with a cancel and an absence on my record, so i really don't think it matters all that much (if at all). as previously stated, the 175+ is all that will matter when it comes down to it.

for better or worse, you're essentially in t6-or-bust-ville.

User avatar
Übermensch
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby Übermensch » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:11 pm

almightypush wrote:i got into Harvard this cycle with a cancel and an absence on my record, so i really don't think it matters all that much (if at all). as previously stated, the 175+ is all that will matter when it comes down to it.

for better or worse, you're essentially in t6-or-bust-ville.

Did you include an addendum to explain the cancel and absence? Would you mind sharing your numbers, perhaps through a private message? Thanks!

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby URMdan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:27 pm

It didn't hurt me. I got into American with a 148/Absent/153/Cancel and 2.95 LSDAS GPA.

HTH

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby gothamm » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:56 pm

URMdan wrote:It didn't hurt me. I got into American with a 148/Absent/153/Cancel and 2.95 LSDAS GPA.

HTH


complete bs.

even more so if it were true.

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby URMdan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:25 pm

gothamm wrote:
URMdan wrote:It didn't hurt me. I got into American with a 148/Absent/153/Cancel and 2.95 LSDAS GPA.

HTH


complete bs.

even more so if it were true.


Hate to break it to you but it's true pal

Edit: FT too

Ctgrapefruit
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby Ctgrapefruit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:32 pm

Two absences here. Harvard and Stanford didn't seem to mind. I don't see why they should...the only person you are inconveniencing is yourself. I think people overanalyze these LSAT reports. Not taking the test looks way better than a bad score. Focus on your app and enjoy the top three!

User avatar
Übermensch
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby Übermensch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Ctgrapefruit wrote:Two absences here. Harvard and Stanford didn't seem to mind. I don't see why they should...the only person you are inconveniencing is yourself. I think people overanalyze these LSAT reports. Not taking the test looks way better than a bad score. Focus on your app and enjoy the top three!

Thanks, and congratulations! Did you include an addendum explaining the absences?

Ctgrapefruit
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby Ctgrapefruit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Nope

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:28 pm

Übermensch wrote:Do admissions chances to T-14 schools, particularly HYS/CCN, decrease significantly with a cancel and an absence on your record? Couple that record with a 3.9+ GPA, 175+ LSAT score, Honors Program graduate, publications, multiple on-campus leadership positions, and a job at a law firm for four years. Technically, only one LSAT score is on the record. I understand that an addendum is probably necessary to explain this. Does anyone with a similar LSAT record have any experiences to share regarding T-14 schools?


The absence they care about a little bit. It shouldn't matter much with a 3.9/175. Enjoy HS and maybe Y.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Cancel, Absence, 175+

Postby IzziesGal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Absences really don't mean anything, at least in my experience. I have a cancel and an absence on my LSAT record, and it didn't effect my T-14 admissions. And my LSAT score is much lower than your 175+ range. You'll be fine.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests