Undocumented Residents in Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Übermensch

Re: Undocumented Residents in Law School

Postby Übermensch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:01 pm

dr123 wrote:
Übermensch wrote:
dr123 wrote:Does his ug have a law school? if so he should go there they obviously dont mind that hes undocumented

It does have a law school, but with his numbers, he can do much better. Obviously, beggars can't be choosers, but he definitely has the numbers for a T-14 school. His undergraduate institution has a law school ranked between 60 and 70.

did he get merit aid as an UG? (moreover, how did he pay for ug?) if so then hes prolly looking at a full ride. Thats probably the best option since he cannot be admitted ton the bar.

He got very little merit aid. He can probably get a really good scholarship, but he's limiting his options even more by going to a regional school. If admission isn't a problem at some of the top private schools, he may as well try to compete for scholarship money, also. We may try to contact some schools to get the exact details.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:03 pm

Übermensch wrote:
dr123 wrote:
Übermensch wrote:
dr123 wrote:Does his ug have a law school? if so he should go there they obviously dont mind that hes undocumented

It does have a law school, but with his numbers, he can do much better. Obviously, beggars can't be choosers, but he definitely has the numbers for a T-14 school. His undergraduate institution has a law school ranked between 60 and 70.

did he get merit aid as an UG? (moreover, how did he pay for ug?) if so then hes prolly looking at a full ride. Thats probably the best option since he cannot be admitted ton the bar.

He got very little merit aid. He can probably get a really good scholarship, but he's limiting his options even more by going to a regional school. If admission isn't a problem at some of the top private schools, he may as well try to compete for scholarship money, also. We may try to contact some schools to get the exact details.

If he can't be admitted to the bar, the difference between going to hys or t2 isn't almost none

edit: okay i reread that and it came of pretty dickish, I'm just trying to say that his goal should be mimizing debt if he attends law school since its possible he may never be able to practice

rose711

Postby rose711 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:35 pm

HopefulFish wrote:I have personally researched all the California schools and a few schools in Texas and New York. They welcome any candidate with competitive applications.

In sum, admissions/enrollment is not a problem, it's the cost of attending.

That is great to know. So I guess the OP's friend should start applying? Or make his list and confirm by phone that he can apply and then apply? He won't know about any merit or other scholarships until he applies.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that OP's friend will be best served by going to the best school he can, even if he can never practice( or even legally work ) in the US. He needs to go where he can make the most influential contacts to help plead his case should it come to that. OP's friend may just work for himself (as a non-practicing attorney?).

If he is determined to go to law school--knowing he will never get biglaw, smalllaw, mediumlaw or governmentlaw -- then I guess he should apply and see what happens.

Ignatius Reilly

Postby Ignatius Reilly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:08 am

notanumber wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:There is no need to make this political

Ignatius Reilly wrote: Honestly though I really dont care...dont break the law that you care so much about. There are people who come here legally, and honestly your friend should not reap the rewards of illegal behavior. Alot of really bright hard working people would love to immigrate...those scientists that we need so badly.

It is often a good idea to take one's own advice. I'm genuinely interested in the answer to this question. If the topic offends you then don't read/post.

bro, a poster was bashing the republicans for not passing the dream act. Fools annoy me. Peace out.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:11 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:bro, a poster was bashing the republicans for not passing the dream act. Fools annoy me. Peace out.

rose711

Postby rose711 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Just fyi - make sure your friend has registered for the Selective Service. He may have done so already for college. It is required for documented and undocumented male residents between certain ages. You can get the form at the post office. As far as I know, there is no cross-referencing of data bases and no enforcement action based on the list from selective service so he has no risk in registering. And, it is the law.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”