Geographic Diversity in a DS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ialdabaoth

Geographic Diversity in a DS?

Postby Ialdabaoth » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:17 pm

I've tried searching for this information but can't seem to locate it. So, is geographic diversity (as in region of UG and residence) a suitable criterion around which to write a DS? I'm from the Southeast, and Berkeley is one of my top choices. (I'm applying next year.) Also, my home region plays into my career interests. Specifically, I'm interested in mountaintop removal (and other forms of surface mining) coal mining reform. Last, it's not counter-productive for me to leave the South for law school with these interests because several organizations that work on these issues (and others in which I'm also interested) have offices in San Francisco, and Berkeley places lots of students into externships with these orgs.

I know this type of "diversity" wouldn't help tremendously, but could it help my application stand out at all, or does it risk looking desperate?

Thanks!

AreJay711

Re: Geographic Diversity in a DS?

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:22 pm

I have to imagine there is something else you could bring to the table. I grew up on a tobacco farm and worked construction and wrote about that so it isn't like it has to be something that super special but growing up in the south might not do it. If you think that being from that region imparted you with different experiences or perspectives, and you can articulate them, then it could be on the same topic with a little different focus. You could also use that DS in a number of places, not just Berkeley. Good luck!

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:30 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I have to imagine there is something else you could bring to the table. I grew up on a tobacco farm and worked construction and wrote about that so it isn't like it has to be something that super special but growing up in the south might not do it. If you think that being from that region imparted you with different experiences or perspectives, and you can articulate them, then it could be on the same topic with a little different focus. You could also use that DS in a number of places, not just Berkeley. Good luck!

Thanks, AreJay!

What do you mean exactly by your first sentence though? Like this is something (semi) unique I could bring to the table? Or do you mean more like I should focus on something else in my applications?

I do think I can articulate an interesting perspective from talking about visiting MTR sites in my state and region. Of course, I'm sort of thinking I should just incorporate all of this into my PS instead. Thanks for the suggestions!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I have to imagine there is something else you could bring to the table. I grew up on a tobacco farm and worked construction and wrote about that so it isn't like it has to be something that super special but growing up in the south might not do it. If you think that being from that region imparted you with different experiences or perspectives, and you can articulate them, then it could be on the same topic with a little different focus. You could also use that DS in a number of places, not just Berkeley. Good luck!

Thanks, AreJay!

What do you mean exactly by your first sentence though? Like this is something (semi) unique I could bring to the table? Or do you mean more like I should focus on something else in my applications?

I do think I can articulate an interesting perspective from talking about visiting MTR sites in my state and region. Of course, I'm sort of thinking I should just incorporate all of this into my PS instead. Thanks for the suggestions!

I just meant there is something else about you that you could write a diversity statement on besides just where you live but if you have good things to write about this then you could make it work with a change in focus. Instead of just talking about living in the south, it could be how X (unique aspect of growing up in the south) gives you perspective or insight to certain things that people without that experience probably won't have.

Is MTR mountaintop removal mining? That might be better for a personal statement if that is part of your desire for law school and make your DS all about what uncommon perspectives or experiences you can bring to the school. Actually, I looked at my files for my applications and I don't think Berkeley asks for a DS -- instead they want a 4 pg PS instead of the regular 2 page so you could expand on the topic. For other apps there obviously could be some overlap -- maybe you grew up in a town where many people's livelihoods are built on MTR so you bring a broader perspective than simply "MTR destroys the environment and is bad" -- but I'd try to keep that in the PS and take the DS in a different direction though so I could provide myself the most interesting and faceted light as possible.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:05 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:

Thanks, AreJay!

I just meant there is something else about you that you could write a diversity statement on besides just where you live but if you have good things to write about this then you could make it work with a change in focus. Instead of just talking about living in the south, it could be how X (unique aspect of growing up in the south) gives you perspective or insight to certain things that people without that experience probably won't have.

Is MTR mountaintop removal mining? That might be better for a personal statement if that is part of your desire for law school and make your DS all about what uncommon perspectives or experiences you can bring to the school. Actually, I looked at my files for my applications and I don't think Berkeley asks for a DS -- instead they want a 4 pg PS instead of the regular 2 page so you could expand on the topic. For other apps there obviously could be some overlap -- maybe you grew up in a town where many people's livelihoods are built on MTR so you bring a broader perspective than simply "MTR destroys the environment and is bad" -- but I'd try to keep that in the PS and take the DS in a different direction though so I could provide myself the most interesting and faceted light as possible.

Thanks for all of this! This will be really helpful as I start to write my essays. And I had forgotten about Berk's 4 page PS, so I'm sure I could definitely incorporate a lot of this into that. Best of luck to you! You got in ED to Michigan, right?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:
Thanks for all of this! This will be really helpful as I start to write my essays. And I had forgotten about Berk's 4 page PS, so I'm sure I could definitely incorporate a lot of this into that. Best of luck to you! You got in ED to Michigan, right?

No problem. I did get in ED to Michigan and they actually gave me scholarship believe it or not.

I think it is very helpful to post your essays on TLS when you are done. I started early like you and was so familiar with it by the time I thought I was finished that I couldn't its flaws. The critiques on here are harsh -- people straight up told me my first draft I posted sucked and that I should reconsider law school after one paragraph -- but I think they are helpful in that they are much harsher than the reader will be and make you reexamine your work. Again, best of luck.

Ialdabaoth

Postby Ialdabaoth » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:59 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:

No problem. I did get in ED to Michigan and they actually gave me scholarship believe it or not.

I think it is very helpful to post your essays on TLS when you are done. I started early like you and was so familiar with it by the time I thought I was finished that I couldn't its flaws. The critiques on here are harsh -- people straight up told me my first draft I posted sucked and that I should reconsider law school after one paragraph -- but I think they are helpful in that they are much harsher than the reader will be and make you reexamine your work. Again, best of luck.

Congrats again on Michigan! And thanks for this essay advice. I hadn't made up my mind about whether I would post my essays, but from your experience (and success) it definitely sounds like it's worth doing.

Also, does anyone else have any experience or perspective re my original post and questions? Thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”