being abroad while applying

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cynthianava

being abroad while applying

Postby cynthianava » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:01 am

I am going to be abroad when I submit my law school apps should I make a note of that in my application? Obviously I will not be able to show a current address or phone number either..

Thanks!

cinephile

Re: being abroad while applying

Postby cinephile » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 am

I did that this year. If you're applying to a public school in your state, you might want to give your permanent address as your current address. Otherwise, you could run in to difficulties proving you're a resident (at least, I'm having trouble doing that for the state of Ohio). For everyone else, I just gave my overseas address (and my foreign phone number) and it hasn't been a problem -- I still get acceptance packets mailed here.

dot

Re: being abroad while applying

Postby dot » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:00 am

I was abroad but not 100% in the same place (have an address abroad, but do a lot of traveling/am sometimes gone for weeks), so I put my parents' address as permanent and current. I'm a lil frustrated by this choice. I think if you put current address abroad, decisions usually come not only in the mail but also email for sake of timeliness. Now I have to wait for someone at my house to get around to emailing me the contents of a decision package instead of being able to get the news myself.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”