TTT to Ivy League

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
posterous

TTT to Ivy League

Postby posterous » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Okay, so I am pretty much stuck going part time to a TTT school. Partially because of my LSAT (155) and mostly because of a family situation that I would rather not go into. But here is my question.

If I end up going somewhere like Stetson and I do really well (top 5%), what are my chances of being able to transfer to Columbia, or some other tier one, after my first year? I know, I know. Everyone goes into law school thinking they are going to do this. But this is a hypothetical, so lets assume I actually am in the top 5%.

Also, considering I plan to go p/t my first semester, when would be the best time to think about transferring? After the first year?

Thanks.

bk1

Re: TTT to Ivy League

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:18 pm

Ivy is a meaningless distinction in terms of law schools.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:20 pm

posterous wrote:Okay, so I am pretty much stuck going part time to a TTT school. Partially because of my LSAT (155) and mostly because of a family situation that I would rather not go into. But here is my question.

If I end up going somewhere like Stetson and I do really well (top 5%), what are my chances of being able to transfer to Columbia, or some other tier one, after my first year? I know, I know. Everyone goes into law school thinking they are going to do this. But this is a hypothetical, so lets assume I actually am in the top 5%.

Also, considering I plan to go p/t my first semester, when would be the best time to think about transferring? After the first year?

Thanks.

This dude named Arrow wrote an article that has answers to all your Qs here.

I offer: study for and retake LSAT

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 pm

bk1 wrote:Ivy is a meaningless distinction in terms of law schools.

Sort of. But all 5 Ivy schools are in the T14... just saying.

Oh, and Princeton Law, which is too awesome to be ranked.

posterous

Postby posterous » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:26 pm

rad law wrote:
posterous wrote:Okay, so I am pretty much stuck going part time to a TTT school. Partially because of my LSAT (155) and mostly because of a family situation that I would rather not go into. But here is my question.

Thanks.

Thanks. I do want to retake, but I feel like I need to stop putting off LS. I will be 25 going in this year, 26 if I start next year. I don't want to be the old guy in class, but that's where I'm headed.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:26 pm

posterous wrote:
rad law wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks. I do want to retake, but I feel like I need to stop putting off LS. I will be 25 going in this year, 26 if I start next year. I don't want to be the old guy in class, but that's where I'm headed.

Don't worry about that. Retake.
Last edited by Grizz on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludacrispat26

Postby Ludacrispat26 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:31 pm

posterous wrote:
rad law wrote:

Thanks.

Bad reason. Retake. 27-28 is not that old for LS at all.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:35 pm

Ludacrispat26 wrote:
posterous wrote:
rad law wrote:

Thanks.

Bad reason. Retake. 27-28 is not that old for LS at all.

Agree. Postponing is a hard pill to swallow, but it's probably the best option here, pretty much regardless of your GPA and URM status. A lot of good can happen in a year's time.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:41 pm

rebexness wrote:
posterous wrote:Thanks. I do want to retake, but I feel like I need to stop putting off LS. I will be 25 going in this year, 26 if I start next year. I don't want to be the old guy in class, but that's where I'm headed.

I'lll be 27 this summer and I decided to delay to get better a better LSAT. Old People Unite!

The "old guy" in class is often the star in the class...unless you're going to LS for the wrong reasons. The frat/sorority stuff should be behind you. Hanging out in the cafe, partying...trying to get laid...you should be over all of that juvenile stuff. Besides, many law students are "older", and the average age is getting higher.

You not in law school to get laid or win a popularity contest; you're should be there to get your "money" (figuratively and/or literally). First, get paid, then get laid...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:44 pm

PDaddy wrote:
rebexness wrote:
posterous wrote:Thanks. I do want to retake, but I feel like I need to stop putting off LS. I will be 25 going in this year, 26 if I start next year. I don't want to be the old guy in class, but that's where I'm headed.

I'lll be 27 this summer and I decided to delay to get better a better LSAT. Old People Unite!

The "old guy" in class is often the star in the class...unless you're going to LS for the wrong reasons. The frat/sorority stuff should be behind you. Hanging out in the cafe, partying...trying to get laid...you should be over all of that juvenile stuff. Besides, many law students are "older", and the average age is getting higher.

You not in law school to get laid or win a popularity contest; you're should be there to get your "money" (figuratively and/or literally). First, get paid, then get laid...

lol some frat you were in, hanging out in the cafe

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:53 pm

PDaddy wrote:
rebexness wrote:

How old is too old to try to get laid in law school?
Last edited by eaglemuncher on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:57 pm

You're never too old to drink and get laid.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:00 pm

rad law wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
rebexness wrote:

lol some frat you were in, hanging out in the cafe

Ya, I'd direct this poster to your certified bros dispense wisdom thread for a true broducation.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:02 pm

You're way better off being Old Balls at T14 than the "young cool guy" at some shitty law school. Think about your life, man. Retake.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:10 pm

posterous wrote:
rad law wrote:

Thanks.

So you'll be 28 when you're done? I'll be 28 when I'm done. I know it feels old. I feel the same way, but in all honesty 90% of T-14 students come in with some work experience making an average age around 25-26. No need to panic. That's the best age to graduate from law school.

posterous

Postby posterous » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:55 pm

Okay, so does this sound like a reasonable solution? Retake in June, then apply for somewhere like Cardozo (so I can start in the spring). Or am I being unrealistic- trying to bring my LSAT score from 155 to 165-170 in 4 months time?

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:04 pm

posterous wrote:Okay, so does this sound like a reasonable solution? Retake in June, then apply for somewhere like Cardozo (so I can start in the spring). Or am I being unrealistic- trying to bring my LSAT score from 155 to 165-170 in 4 months time?

Go the whole nine; retake in June and apply for Fall '12. If you're already going to wait one semester, why not wait two? You get a great head start on everyone else applying for the Fall as well (more seats, more scholly $).

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:38 am

Okay, so does this sound like a reasonable solution? Retake in June, then apply for somewhere like Cardozo (so I can start in the spring). Or am I being unrealistic- trying to bring my LSAT score from 155 to 165-170 in 4 months time?

Cardozo is not that much of a step up. It's an even worse debt trap. Don't shortchange your entire career so you can start law school six months earlier.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:49 am

posterous wrote:Okay, so does this sound like a reasonable solution? Retake in June, then apply for somewhere like Cardozo (so I can start in the spring). Or am I being unrealistic- trying to bring my LSAT score from 155 to 165-170 in 4 months time?

Have you just taken once? I would start studying for a retake ASAP, and if your practice scores are where you want them to be (so like ~165+), then take in June with the plan of applying for next cycle. If your practice scores aren't so hot yet or you just have a bad test day, then you have a safety net in being able to retake in August. I waited a year to reapply and I'm so happy that I did, since I got into a school that gave me better career opportunities and it will be cheaper than the previous option since I have a scholarship. Waiting a year is really a very minor trade off in terms of the benefits you'll be getting from being able to get into the 160s or 170s. Big jumps in scores are possible, but they take a lot of hard work. I was able to improve 19 points from my diagnostic and improved 11 points from my first official take.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:27 pm

If you can't put in the time/effort to raise your LSAT score from a dreadful 155, then don't expect to get top 5% anywhere.

joebloe

Postby joebloe » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:53 pm

nealric wrote:

Cardozo is not that much of a step up. It's an even worse debt trap. Don't shortchange your entire career so you can start law school six months earlier.

And for that matter, starting LS six months earlier does not necessarily mean you'll start your career six months earlier.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:55 pm

Thanks.

DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL ASSUMING YOU WILL DO WELL. If you're not comfortable graduating at median, don't go. Period.

/thread.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:50 pm

Someone needs to make an awesome retake gif that summarizes everything that happens when someone comes in with a low LSAT and asks for advice. It could save everyone the trouble of rehashing the same retake advice X10 every day.

Because like someone said - Unless someone is going to LITERALLY murder you if you dont attend LS next fall, there is really no reason why you cant retake.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”