ITT you tell me what I should do next year

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
InLikeFlint

ITT you tell me what I should do next year

Postby InLikeFlint » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:31 pm

Got into all of CCN, have not heard back from YS, my application was held by H. Assuming I get dinged at all three, what should I do? I have a 3.9/177 so my numbers are good enough to get into a top 3 school. I think my major weaknesses from this cycle were that 1) I didn't get my apps in until the second week of November, 2) my resume sucks pretty bad, and 3) my LORs were probably mediocre at best.

If I take a year off, I'll be able to increase my GPA to about a 3.92 (since my spring grades will count), will have another year to boost my resume, and I will submit my apps in September. Also, I've been sucking up to all of my teachers this semester so I will be able to get better LORs for next cycle.

What should I do? Is it worth taking a year off for a second chance at HYS? I can find decent employment but nothing that I want to make a career out of, so I won't be spending my year off hanging out in my parents' basement or anything.

Army2Law

Re: ITT you tell me what I should do next year

Postby Army2Law » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:33 pm

What should I do?

Take your talents to South Beach, LeBron.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:34 pm

Army2Law wrote:
What should I do?

Take your talents to South Beach, LeBron.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:36 pm

Any $ at CCN - those seem like they could be Hamilton/Rubenstein #s

InLikeFlint

Postby InLikeFlint » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:37 pm

jtemp320 wrote:Any $ at CCN - those seem like they could be Hamilton/Rubenstein #s

Haven't heard from anyone of them re: $$. I know that TLS hates answering hypotheticals, but assume I get no scholly at any of CCN.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:39 pm

InLikeFlint wrote:Haven't heard from anyone of them re: $$.

Then wait in re $$ and get back to us.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:40 pm

InLikeFlint wrote:Got into all of CCN, have not heard back from YS, my application was held by H. Assuming I get dinged at all three, what should I do? I have a 3.9/177 so my numbers are good enough to get into a top 3 school. I think my major weaknesses from this cycle were that 1) I didn't get my apps in until the second week of November, 2) my resume sucks pretty bad, and 3) my LORs were probably mediocre at best.

If I take a year off, I'll be able to increase my GPA to about a 3.92 (since my spring grades will count), will have another year to boost my resume, and I will submit my apps in September. Also, I've been sucking up to all of my teachers this semester so I will be able to get better LORs for next cycle.

What should I do? Is it worth taking a year off for a second chance at HYS? I can find decent employment but nothing that I want to make a career out of, so I won't be spending my year off hanging out in my parents' basement or anything.

I wouldn't write off Y/S just yet, I think you still have a shot.

that being said, it sounds like you really want HYS. you're young. there's nothing wrong with taking a year off, and you will probably have a better chance at HYS next year.

(assuming no $ at CCN)

InLikeFlint

Postby InLikeFlint » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:42 pm

rad law wrote:Then wait in re $$ and get back to us.

InLikeFlint wrote:
assume I get no scholly at any of CCN.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:48 pm

I'll play the other side -- I'm not sure the extra time will help you out at HYS if they don't like you enough to take you now, unless you do some seriously noteworthy stuff this spring and summer. If you're reapplying in September, you're not going to convince any ad comms that your post-college employment at X has totally altered your worldview if you've only just started there. The jump from a 3.9 to 3.92 isn't what will make the difference. Also, 3.9/177 sounds like serious money at least at NYU and CLS (I have absolutely no idea how Chicago doles out aid).

That said, it wouldn't hurt you in the long-term to take a couple years off to gain some meaningful employment, then reapply when you will have a substantively stronger application. And definitely get stronger academic LORs. The general wisdom is that strong letters don't do much to help you, but lukewarm or worse letters can be a serious mark against you.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:50 pm

clintonius wrote:That said, it wouldn't hurt you in the long-term to take a couple years off to gain some meaningful employment, then reapply when you will have a substantively stronger application. And definitely get stronger academic LORs. The general wisdom is that strong letters don't do much to help you, but lukewarm or worse letters can be a serious mark against you.

this definitely makes more sense than taking one year off. honestly taking 2-3 years off before applying to LS would be a great idea even if you still only got into CCN.

InLikeFlint

Postby InLikeFlint » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:56 pm

clintonius wrote:I'll play the other side -- I'm not sure the extra time will help you out at HYS if they don't like you enough to take you now, unless you do some seriously noteworthy stuff this spring and summer. If you're reapplying in September, you're not going to convince any ad comms that your post-college employment at X has totally altered your worldview if you've only just started there. The jump from a 3.9 to 3.92 isn't what will make the difference. Also, 3.9/177 sounds like serious money at least at NYU and CLS (I have absolutely no idea how Chicago doles out aid).

Not sure if I agree with you here. I think that just applying earlier in the cycle could help my chances a lot at Harvard, though I base that only off of speculation. I have a feeling that earlier applications might be scrutinized less when they are looking for a lot of applicants with high numbers to fill their class with.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:10 pm

I would agree more if you had submitted last week, but November is still early. You beat out every single person who retook in December, as well as submitting with the pack of people who took the October test.

That said, you could always set up a sort of contingency plan: withdraw your current apps, get better letters of recommendation, land meaningful employment that you could either drop after a year or stay in for several years, reapply to HYS the day apps open for the next cycle, and reapply again later if they don't bite next year.

InLikeFlint

Postby InLikeFlint » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:12 pm

clintonius wrote:I would agree more if you had submitted last week, but November is still early. You beat out every single person who retook in December, as well as submitting with the pack of people who took the October test.

That said, you could always set up a sort of contingency plan: withdraw your current apps, get better letters of recommendation, land meaningful employment that you could either drop after a year or stay in for several years, reapply to HYS the day apps open for the next cycle, and reapply again later if they don't bite next year.

That's actually what I'm thinking of doing. I ran the idea by my dad and he thinks I'm crazy to turn down Chicago or Columbia and "waste" a year just so I can get another shot at the T3. Good thing I don't rely on my dad's advice, at least when it comes to law school admissions.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:14 pm

InLikeFlint wrote:

InLikeFlint wrote:

Dumb assumption.

InLikeFlint

Postby InLikeFlint » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:17 pm

rad law wrote:
InLikeFlint wrote:

InLikeFlint wrote:

Dumb assumption.

JUST GOT EMAILS FROM C, C AND N. THEY ALL SAID "NO SCHOLLY FOR YOU." NOW YOU DON'T HAVE TO ASSUME ANYTHING.

So tell me, dude, what should I do?

Postby 005618502 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Dude you should get $$$ from CCN. VERY few people have numbers better then yours. Honestly I am shocked you did not get into Harvard just off of amazing numbers.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:19 pm

fatduck wrote:
clintonius wrote:That said, it wouldn't hurt you in the long-term to take a couple years off to gain some meaningful employment, then reapply when you will have a substantively stronger application. And definitely get stronger academic LORs. The general wisdom is that strong letters don't do much to help you, but lukewarm or worse letters can be a serious mark against you.

this definitely makes more sense than taking one year off. honestly taking 2-3 years off before applying to LS would be a great idea even if you still only got into CCN.

+1 - You're in your early 20s. There is no better time in your life to move to a strange city, work interesting jobs, get laid, and generally explore the world without you actions having serious consequences.

I can guarantee that when you're in your 50s, wishing that you had started your legal job a few years earlier will not be among your greatest regrets in life . . .

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:21 pm

InLikeFlint wrote:
rad law wrote:
InLikeFlint wrote:

InLikeFlint wrote:

Dumb assumption.

JUST GOT EMAILS FROM C, C AND N. THEY ALL SAID "NO SCHOLLY FOR YOU." NOW YOU DON'T HAVE TO ASSUME ANYTHING.

So tell me, dude, what should I do?

But you didn't, herp derp

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:23 pm

notanumber wrote:
fatduck wrote:

+1 - You're in your early 20s. There is no better time in your life to move to a strange city, work interesting jobs, get laid, and generally explore the world without you actions having serious consequences.

I can guarantee that when you're in your 50s, wishing that you had started your legal job a few years earlier will not be among your greatest regrets in life . . .

Just, uh, don't pay attention to the bolded.

Wrap it up, folks.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:27 pm

clintonius wrote:I'll play the other side -- I'm not sure the extra time will help you out at HYS if they don't like you enough to take you now, unless you do some seriously noteworthy stuff this spring and summer. If you're reapplying in September, you're not going to convince any ad comms that your post-college employment at X has totally altered your worldview if you've only just started there. The jump from a 3.9 to 3.92 isn't what will make the difference. Also, 3.9/177 sounds like serious money at least at NYU and CLS (I have absolutely no idea how Chicago doles out aid).

That said, it wouldn't hurt you in the long-term to take a couple years off to gain some meaningful employment, then reapply when you will have a substantively stronger application. And definitely get stronger academic LORs. The general wisdom is that strong letters don't do much to help you, but lukewarm or worse letters can be a serious mark against you.

hmm this is sorta weird, and i guess, given the current info, id +1 clint...i dont know though...it is an uncommon situation imo. HYS all not biting w/ a 3.9/177? color me surprised. there must be some other reason they are hesitant about you...and for HLS, i agree w/ clint that it is unlikely that submitting in Nov. was too late for them...submitting in Nov. or when app available is really not that big of a diff. not like you submitted in Jan. or something.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:41 pm

+1'ing this

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:46 pm

Well if you got into Columbia and haven't gotten a Butler/Hamilton with your acceptance letter, then you aren't getting one. And i thought I heard some rumors about Rubenstein phone interviews happening. So maybe NYU will be nice to you? Did you apply to any names scholarships?

A lot of employers are still doing on campus interviews now. Get a good job and save money for a year. But it has to be something legitimate. Waiting tables won't make you look any more impressive. I believe a September send date will definitely help though.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:47 pm

clintonius wrote:
notanumber wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Wrap it up, folks.

Yeah. This.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm

clintonius wrote:
notanumber wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Wrap it up, folks.

+1

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:39 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:i dont know though...it is an uncommon situation imo. HYS all not biting w/ a 3.9/177? color me surprised. there must be some other reason they are hesitant about you...

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”