Non-matriculated Classes Transcript - HELP!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BeeGirl33

Non-matriculated Classes Transcript - HELP!

Postby BeeGirl33 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:52 pm

I searched the forum and couldn't find this exact question...I need your help! I took some time off (7 years) in the middle of my collegiate education. I recieved my BA from the same university I started at and that transcript has been sent into LSAC. HOWEVER, during the 7 years break, I took four college classes at another school just for fun. These courses were never transferred over for credit. I received a B+, B, C and a F. The F class happened because I dropped the class after the withdrawal deadline - I was working and travelling extensively and couldn't do a class at night. I didn't know I got a F until I ordered the transcript - I thought it was just an incomplete. What do I do? Why do I need to submit this transcript to LSAC? I was a non-matriculated student at the school and was only taking the classes for fun - I never enrolled and never used the courses at my graduating institution for credit. What happens if you don't submit a transcript? How do they know you took courses for fun?

geoduck

Re: Non-matriculated Classes Transcript - HELP!

Postby geoduck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:08 pm

If it was before you got your B.A., you can't hide it. LSAC seems to be pretty clear that you need to disclose all schools you attended. If it's at your Alma Mater, though, I'm vaguely surprised that they didn't already show on the transcript you sent to LSAC. Do you have to go through a different process to get that transcript?

BeeGirl33

Postby BeeGirl33 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:16 pm

geoduck wrote:If it was before you got your B.A., you can't hide it. LSAC seems to be pretty clear that you need to disclose all schools you attended. If it's at your Alma Mater, though, I'm vaguely surprised that they didn't already show on the transcript you sent to LSAC. Do you have to go through a different process to get that transcript?

The four classes I took weren't from my Alma Mater - they were just classes I took for fun from another University to keep my "head in the game" so to speak. I didn't take them seriously and never imagined that the very act of taking the classes would later haunt me. When I went back to my Alma Mater - I didn't submit them for credit. They were never used towards obtaining my BA. I guess I just don't understand why a law school needs to see the results of those classes? And how would they know I even took the classes?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm pretty sure that would be covered under the CAS Transcripts page:

"institutions where summer or evening courses did not count toward a degree"

"institutions from which you have only withdrawn or incomplete grades"

Maybe your non-matriculated classes were neither summer nor evening, but I'd definitely say that they fit into the spirit of the request. They want full disclosure. I imagine you could probably get through the cycle without them finding out, but I wouldn't want to risk the backlash of looking like you're hiding grades if they do.

gregthomas77

Postby gregthomas77 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:39 pm

geoduck wrote:I'm pretty sure that would be covered under the CAS Transcripts page:

Maybe your non-matriculated classes were neither summer nor evening, but I'd definitely say that they fit into the spirit of the request. They want full disclosure. I imagine you could probably get through the cycle without them finding out, but I wouldn't want to risk the backlash of looking like you're hiding grades if they do.

If the OP didn't report the classes, and it wasn't caught by schools he/she is applying to, would this be the kind of thing that would come up again at Bar Exam time?

BeeGirl33

Postby BeeGirl33 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:39 pm

gregthomas77 wrote:
geoduck wrote:I'm pretty sure that would be covered under the CAS Transcripts page:

If the OP didn't report the classes, and it wasn't caught by schools he/she is applying to, would this be the kind of thing that would come up again at Bar Exam time?

Yes, that is an excellent question - would it come up at Bar Exam time? That is the last thing I would want. I am also currently appealing to the Professor, the Chancellor, the President and Dean of Students for assistance in getting it removed.

BeeGirl33

Postby BeeGirl33 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:34 pm

BeeGirl33 wrote:
gregthomas77 wrote:

Yes, that is an excellent question - would it come up at Bar Exam time? That is the last thing I would want. I am also currently appealing to the Professor, the Chancellor, the President and Dean of Students for assistance in getting it removed.

Just wanted you all to know how this turned out in case you are interested. They Dean and Professor agreed that if I submitted a paper they would turn the F into an A. I completed the paper over last weekend and got the A on Tuesday. Thanks everyone for your help.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Congrats! So it ended up adding an A, B+, B and C to your GPA then? Out of curiosity, did it end up raising or lowering your LSAC GPA?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”