Weight of Military Service in law school apps

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Neidermeyer519

Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:47 pm

I was just wondering how heavily admissions committees weigh prior military service on your application. I would assume it would be a good soft factor, but I'm not sure to what extent it really makes a difference. Any thoughts or anyone been in this boat?

apaint

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby apaint » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:52 pm

I am currently in the same situation. I have military experience and was in Iraq. I have been accepted at a couple schools, which were slight reaches. One of those acceptance letters came with a hand written note from the dean thanking me for my service and discussing how their program would meet my interests based on what I wrote in my PS. So I think it may help push you over the wall.

Neidermeyer519 wrote:I was just wondering how heavily admissions committees weigh prior military service on your application. I would assume it would be a good soft factor, but I'm not sure to what extent it really makes a difference. Any thoughts or anyone been in this boat?

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Cool. That was kinda what I figured it would be. For my primary school of interest, my numbers are both above medians, so I was hoping the military experience might help in the scholarship aspect.

Perch

Postby Perch » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:54 pm

I have no idea but I would hope it does. thank you for your service.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:20 am

Military service seems to be both a solid soft and good work experience. Plus you can talk about discipline and leadership and things like that without sounding like an idiot. :)

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

One of the only true "good" softs but still probably won't make up for both numbers being below median. Quite helpful for borderline candidates though from what I hear.

TY for your service BTW.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:46 am

Neidermeyer519 wrote:I was just wondering how heavily admissions committees weigh prior military service on your application. I would assume it would be a good soft factor, but I'm not sure to what extent it really makes a difference. Any thoughts or anyone been in this boat?

if my cycle is any indication, it doesn't help much at all :|

definitely can't hurt, though

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:49 am

Perch wrote:I have no idea but I would hope it does. thank you for your service.

TITCR

Might depend on the school, though? Use the search function, there are a bunch of other posts about this, though.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:40 am

Thanks everyone for responding, and it was an honor to serve.

I graduated with honors from the US army intelligence school, and both my LSAT and gpa are above medians for my target school. I was just hoping that it would be a good soft factor for me, as I've seen people with a higher LSAT get rejected recently. Just made me a bit nervous was all.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:23 am

Perch wrote:I have no idea but I would hope it does. thank you for your service.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:34 am

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Thanks everyone for responding, and it was an honor to serve.

I graduated with honors from the US army intelligence school, and both my LSAT and gpa are above medians for my target school. I was just hoping that it would be a good soft factor for me, as I've seen people with a higher LSAT get rejected recently. Just made me a bit nervous was all.

when were you at Huachuca?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:37 am

fatduck wrote:

if my cycle is any indication, it doesn't help much at all :|

definitely can't hurt, though

I got in where my numbers predicted I would, didn't get in where they didn't. I don't think it makes that big of a difference anymore.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:05 pm

fatduck wrote:
Neidermeyer519 wrote:Thanks everyone for responding, and it was an honor to serve.

January-June of 2003. You?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:
fatduck wrote:

January-June of 2003. You?

Ah, just missed you. January-June 2004, Delta company, 305th. Might have had some of the same drill sgts :D Germany after that for me.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Haha Echo 305th here. They did away with my MOS though. Wbu?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”