Weight of Military Service in law school apps

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Neidermeyer519
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:20 am

Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:47 pm

I was just wondering how heavily admissions committees weigh prior military service on your application. I would assume it would be a good soft factor, but I'm not sure to what extent it really makes a difference. Any thoughts or anyone been in this boat?

User avatar
apaint
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby apaint » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:52 pm

I am currently in the same situation. I have military experience and was in Iraq. I have been accepted at a couple schools, which were slight reaches. One of those acceptance letters came with a hand written note from the dean thanking me for my service and discussing how their program would meet my interests based on what I wrote in my PS. So I think it may help push you over the wall.

Neidermeyer519 wrote:I was just wondering how heavily admissions committees weigh prior military service on your application. I would assume it would be a good soft factor, but I'm not sure to what extent it really makes a difference. Any thoughts or anyone been in this boat?

User avatar
Neidermeyer519
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Cool. That was kinda what I figured it would be. For my primary school of interest, my numbers are both above medians, so I was hoping the military experience might help in the scholarship aspect.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby Perch » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:54 pm

I have no idea but I would hope it does. thank you for your service.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:20 am

Military service seems to be both a solid soft and good work experience. Plus you can talk about discipline and leadership and things like that without sounding like an idiot. :)

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby Veyron » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

One of the only true "good" softs but still probably won't make up for both numbers being below median. Quite helpful for borderline candidates though from what I hear.

TY for your service BTW.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:46 am

Neidermeyer519 wrote:I was just wondering how heavily admissions committees weigh prior military service on your application. I would assume it would be a good soft factor, but I'm not sure to what extent it really makes a difference. Any thoughts or anyone been in this boat?


if my cycle is any indication, it doesn't help much at all :|

definitely can't hurt, though

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby NZA » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:49 am

Perch wrote:I have no idea but I would hope it does. thank you for your service.


TITCR

Might depend on the school, though? Use the search function, there are a bunch of other posts about this, though.

User avatar
Neidermeyer519
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:40 am

Thanks everyone for responding, and it was an honor to serve.

I graduated with honors from the US army intelligence school, and both my LSAT and gpa are above medians for my target school. I was just hoping that it would be a good soft factor for me, as I've seen people with a higher LSAT get rejected recently. Just made me a bit nervous was all.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:23 am

Perch wrote:I have no idea but I would hope it does. thank you for your service.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:34 am

Neidermeyer519 wrote:Thanks everyone for responding, and it was an honor to serve.

I graduated with honors from the US army intelligence school, and both my LSAT and gpa are above medians for my target school. I was just hoping that it would be a good soft factor for me, as I've seen people with a higher LSAT get rejected recently. Just made me a bit nervous was all.


when were you at Huachuca?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby bjsesq » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:37 am

fatduck wrote:
Neidermeyer519 wrote:I was just wondering how heavily admissions committees weigh prior military service on your application. I would assume it would be a good soft factor, but I'm not sure to what extent it really makes a difference. Any thoughts or anyone been in this boat?


if my cycle is any indication, it doesn't help much at all :|

definitely can't hurt, though

I got in where my numbers predicted I would, didn't get in where they didn't. I don't think it makes that big of a difference anymore.

User avatar
Neidermeyer519
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:05 pm

fatduck wrote:
Neidermeyer519 wrote:Thanks everyone for responding, and it was an honor to serve.

I graduated with honors from the US army intelligence school, and both my LSAT and gpa are above medians for my target school. I was just hoping that it would be a good soft factor for me, as I've seen people with a higher LSAT get rejected recently. Just made me a bit nervous was all.


when were you at Huachuca?


January-June of 2003. You?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby fatduck » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:07 pm

Neidermeyer519 wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Neidermeyer519 wrote:Thanks everyone for responding, and it was an honor to serve.

I graduated with honors from the US army intelligence school, and both my LSAT and gpa are above medians for my target school. I was just hoping that it would be a good soft factor for me, as I've seen people with a higher LSAT get rejected recently. Just made me a bit nervous was all.


when were you at Huachuca?


January-June of 2003. You?


Ah, just missed you. January-June 2004, Delta company, 305th. Might have had some of the same drill sgts :D Germany after that for me.

User avatar
Neidermeyer519
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:20 am

Re: Weight of Military Service in law school apps

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Haha Echo 305th here. They did away with my MOS though. Wbu?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lagavulinjoe and 3 guests