Acquired medical condition - mid cycle

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amers73

Acquired medical condition - mid cycle

Postby amers73 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:15 pm

I know that there have been a couple medical condition threads in the last few days, but I'm hoping to get some good advice on this. I recently caught a nasty virus, and unfortunately for me, this virus left me completely deaf in my left ear. I have already been accepted to some schools and I'm very happy with some of the offers that I have received. I am undergoing treatment to try and get my hearing back, but it is unlikely that it will come back because I am so profoundly deaf on that side.

Should I tell the schools I have been accepted to about this? What about the schools I am waiting to hear back from? Even though I still have one good ear, I am very easily disoriented and have trouble telling where sounds are coming from.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

dddhhh

Re: Acquired medical condition - mid cycle

Postby dddhhh » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:18 pm

amers73 wrote:I know that there have been a couple medical condition threads in the last few days, but I'm hoping to get some good advice on this. I recently caught a nasty virus, and unfortunately for me, this virus left me completely deaf in my left ear. I have already been accepted to some schools and I'm very happy with some of the offers that I have received. I am undergoing treatment to try and get my hearing back, but it is unlikely that it will come back because I am so profoundly deaf on that side.

Should I tell the schools I have been accepted to about this? What about the schools I am waiting to hear back from? Even though I still have one good ear, I am very easily disoriented and have trouble telling where sounds are coming from.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I'm sorry to hear this.

Will you need accomodations for Law School? If so, I would tell the school you decide to attend about your medical condition so that they can provide them. I'm sure it will be no problem.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:20 pm

It shouldn't affect your application as schools can't discriminate based on this kind of thing. If the condition doesn't improve, the ADA says your LS will have to make reasonable accommodations (i.e. front row seats, access to lecture notes) when you begin class.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Thank you for the help, I'll make sure I let the school know when I finally make a choice.

Neidermeyer519

Postby Neidermeyer519 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Also definitely sorry to hear about that. I can only imagine how hard it is going to be to get used to it.

I wouldn't worry about a thing though. They will likely make all the accomodations you need, so I would just wait and mention it to the school you decide to attend. You will probably have to fill out some paperwork, but that's to be expected.

bergg007

Postby bergg007 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:39 pm

I am also deaf in one ear, i didn't tell any of my schools about it. Don't worry though the disorientation gets better with time. after a year or two you won't even think about it. my deafness just serves as a good excuse to my wife for why i didn't do something, whereas at first like you i was disoriented and confused.By the time you matriculate it may no longer be a problem.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Thank you for the help and for being so nice.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:28 pm

Acquired

Developed

almightypush

Postby almightypush » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:32 pm

HopefulFish wrote:Acquired

Developed

really?

berkeleykel06